Topside2

Do sharks concern you?

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

My cottage is very near the the site of the fatal shark attack last summer.  I knew the woman who was killed as their family's boat is moored right next to mine.  I had an experience earlier in the summer where I am certain that a seal was attacked about 100 yards from my anchored boat as my son and I were fishing.   So, it all hits pretty close to home and I must admit that the experience has completely changed my mindset.  I used to do a lot of night kayak fishing and would routinely paddle across open water to reach my spots.  I would always tell myself the there is very little to worry about.  However, I have spent next to zero time in the kayak since the incident and have spent all of my time fishing from my center console.

I just read a pretty comprehensive article in the June Down East magazine about the attack itself and it included some good insights/research about the prevalence of great whites in Maine.  The large number of seals is the ringing of the dinner bell that have attracted the sharks and they are around in the Gulf of Maine in significant numbers.  The article is very informative and worth a read.

Is my concern (fear) rational?  Has anyone else had a similar reaction?  Thoughts...

Edited by Topside2

I am up and around the corner from you, but barely a wag or two of a great whites tail. I am not losing sleep over them. We’ll still swim and paddle, to me it is just playing the odds. 

however, we will be in colorful kayaks, and if we ever buy wetsuits, they won’t be black.  

the seals are in earlier this year, and there are a TON of them. 

My understanding is that sharks attacking kayaks is even more rare than sharks attacking people, and when it does happen, they pretty quickly realize it's a hunk of plastic and not food. Of course, that could still put you in a dangerous position, especially at night if you are not close to shore, the water is cold, panic, etc. Personally, I'm not worried about sharks but where I fish I have had more luck with stripers inside than out front so I am usually not too far from shore. 

Just read the article, thanks for the tip.

I maintain my stance that we’re a fairly arrogant people, who often think we know something about a thing, when in fact we don’t.

I’m sure there are plenty of folks who will continue to swim etc in Maine’s salt waters, despite the event.

I’m of the opinion that you’re placing yourself squarely in a potential food chain when you enter that domain.

The fact that it happened, along with the increasing number of seals, should at a minimum, give us a moment of pause..

What a tragic occurrence that was..

MHO

Edited by celticpiping

It's the juvie great whites that you should fear as they are more likely to experiment than a mature 20 footer. 

I have done a lot of kayak fishing down on the cape and have even seen white sharks while out on the yak. Definitely uncomfortable but does not stop me. However, it would be foolish to put yourself in harms way by fishing where there are a lot of seals and known white sharks feeding on them. I would never be kayak fishing near ptown, Turo, or the other areas where there is heavy white shark activity. 

So yes, if I were you, I would avoid getting too up close with them. 

the lady in the gray dress has always "concerned" me, but common sense and vigilance goes a long way to decreasing your odds of an unfortunate encounter.  As  a Surfer my whole life, spending time in most of this earths oceans I've seen plenty up close, that just swim by or just didn't care about me.  I am sure hundreds more that I did not see. Only a few hairy encounters of heavy feeding real close in dirty or rough water where I could have easily been in the way.  The only real time I hear the jaws tuba intro is when I am alone, especially in low light or at night.  Try not to do that anymore

It's about time that the average person came to grips with the fact that Maine has lots of seals, and therefore, Whitey will follow the smorgasbord. 

Yes the event was tragic, but not a big surprise.  I've lost no sleep over it, but if I did, and enjoyed swimming in open water, my first purchase would be a neon green or fluorescent red wet suit; white, black or grey is far too close to "Monsieur André" and friends.

I fish that area once or twice a month. Def not surprised it happened. Am I concerned about it? Not really, I'm rarely in more then shin deep water while fishing. I would definitely be hesitant if I was to launch a yak and paddle around lol but what are the odds of that happening? Better chance of winning the lotto

1 hour ago, shanation said:

Better chance of winning the lotto

Right, my bigger concern is getting hit by idiot boaters. That or getting into a car accident on the way there are both much more likely. 

No concern to me. I have fished enough New England Coastline by kayak that I know they were there. Same happens on the West Coast with other Kayak Anglers. If you have fished New England long enough by kayak you  not have seen one but believe it they have seen you and had no interest. Don't believe for one second they just roam Cape Cod and stay there. Boston, Nahant, Danvers, Salem,  Manchester, Rockport. All over.

Edited by The Riddler

I do a fair amount of kayak fishing in and around Scarborough to Yarmouth, those eerie foggy morning always make my arm hairs stand up for a bit.  Agreed, foolish to think they are not around, also fairly certain they have zero interest in a 13 foot piece of floating plastic with a pedal drive swirling below deck.  The unfortunate event last summer certainly has publicized this topic.  I would be very interested in analyzing what any additional research, beakers, etc would bring to light with more “proof” context/facts/info of what we to an extent already know to be true.

My brother, who is a surfer, tells me they are working on wetsuits with patterns that disorient sharks.  Have not checked it out but he says they work.  Might be worth looking into.

Here's a TED talk on the subject.  Pretty interesting.

Edited by Oakman

I'm not concerned at all. Deepest water I wade is three feet. Doubt many or any G.W.S. would be that shallow.