RiverRaider

My Poor Dog

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

After 4 years of being granted fiull access to  the furniture she’s had enough 

Now he’s banned  :laugh:

Its going to be an epic contest of will 

My money is on the dog 

That's only a battle won when they are young pups and trained correctly. My daughter made the same mistake when she allowed their dog to sleep with them in the bed. I told her she's gonna regret that decision one day. Sure enough. the dog now weighs 85 lbs and takes up a good chunk of real estate on the bed. I don't even want to think of the fur issue. He's a short haired dog and those hairs end up feeling like fiberglass shards stabbing you.

That dog is gonna win that battle.

4 mins ago, slicedcornbread said:

That's only a battle won when they are young pups and trained correctly. My daughter made the same mistake when she allowed their dog to sleep with them in the bed. I told her she's gonna regret that decision one day. Sure enough. the dog now weighs 85 lbs and takes up a good chunk of real estate on the bed. I don't even want to think of the fur issue. He's a short haired dog and those hairs end up feeling like fiberglass shards stabbing you.

That dog is gonna win that battle.

I sleep on the couch alot

my dogs pretty much take up the whole bed lol

1 min ago, redfishkiller said:

I sleep on the couch alot

my dogs pretty much take up the whole bed lol

My son-in-law says he often sleeps in the spare bedroom. :laugh:

Leads to another question do you think well trained dogs are happier (so to speak) than unrestricted dogs. Last week walked my sil dog who drags her along, between pulling back on the leash and stopping the dog got the message. She seemed calmer and enjoyed the walk. Dogs (haven't had one in a long time) weren't allowed on the furniture and I would sit on the floor to pet or brush them.

I watched a guy one time before leash laws walking his German shepherd. He had the dog run, sit and heel, all by hand commands never said a word to the dog. Very impressive, I suspect it was military training :why:.

23 mins ago, squidder 329 said:

Leads to another question do you think well trained dogs are happier (so to speak) than unrestricted dogs. Last week walked my sil dog who drags her along, between pulling back on the leash and stopping the dog got the message. She seemed calmer and enjoyed the walk. Dogs (haven't had one in a long time) weren't allowed on the furniture and I would sit on the floor to pet or brush them.

I watched a guy one time before leash laws walking his German shepherd. He had the dog run, sit and heel, all by hand commands never said a word to the dog. Very impressive, I suspect it was military training :why:.

My daughter's dog is unrestricted in the house, but outside, he is extremely obedient which surprises me a bit. When she walks him, he only runs when she gives him the command. Otherwise he stays right by her side. Even with other dogs around. If she walks him in areas where other dogs are present, she puts his leash on, but most of the time he just drags it along. 

A well trained dog is a happy dog. A dog that has a job is even happier. Most dogs want to please their master and get rewarded not disciplined. 

Changing the rules for your pet halfway in the game will be a tough challenge.

Agree, my dog is happiest when he has a job even if it’s just “walk next to me”

I would try to redirect the dog away from furniture.  Give him something to mark his space like a bed or rug and reward him to use it.   

3 hours ago, slicedcornbread said:

My son-in-law says he often sleeps in the spare bedroom. :laugh:

there's a joke in there somewhere, but I will pass on it just to avoid bringing family into this....

I’m waiting for Belmo to check in with stories of his greyhounds hogging up all 10 square feet of his teardrop trailer, assuming of course he’s finished it. 

Our dog owns everything in the house, but she's awesome and loves to snuggle. The 2nd she thinks it's bang bang time, she's outta the bed lol. 

I wanted a snuggly lap dog and we got that in spades. Wouldn't have it any other way. She's family. We have a super comfy bed. I think it feels good on her 12 year old joints honestly.