Drako

Red dots for edc, Con's and pros

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

You can find just about every type of debate just on this issue>..iron site are better, front sight is all you need for SD..and on and on....but law enforcement is starting to put their guys on red dot and our armed service been doing it for awhile...so why all the push back over self defense use? and don't go to any shooting matches because everybody has them....and they wouldn't be using them if they didn't work...so where do you guys stand on this? 

a definitive plus.  A MUST have as you get older (me) and you can't transition your eyes from the target to the front site for that crisp focus on the sight post.  

Sandbar - I've got an RMR on my 43X, and a DPP on my 19.5.  

BUT....you MUST train with it.  Get some training from someone who knows what they are doing. Initially, you will want to "hunt the dot."  Don't.  Work on proper weapon presentation and look THROUGH the dot/glass, not AT it.  Your dot will be on the target as you focus on the target, not the glass.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

Cons

-More money

-May need to gunsmith your slide for specific red dot

-Red dots on pistols break frequently - just the nature of the beast

-You may need to remove the red dot to replace the battery which will necessitate re-zeroing (example: RMR)

-If you retain iron sights you may need to use suppressor height sights which means you'll need to readjust your hold at 25 yards

-If you use the dovetail mount (the slot of your rear iron sight) to mount a red dot (example: RMRcc) - you'll lose the ability to use iron sights

-Not as concealable.  Match the red dot sight package size to the width of your slide

-You'll need a new holster to fit the red dot sight (example: Tenicor, Bravo Concealment).

-If you use a mounting plate on an optic ready model like the Glock MOS series - the screws are the weak point. They shear off.  Use a third party mounting plate and screw set that is more durable (example: C&G Precision).

-You'll need to re-train yourself to acquire the red dot sight on presentation.  This will require you to adjust your posture and your draw/presentation.  There are three distinct draws seen most often in shooters.  Only one of which facilitates easier red dot acquisition.

Pros

-Faster on target than irons (no time wasted on aligning iron sights)

-You are more threat focused with RDS than irons - this is important in a fight

-Superior to irons in the dark using white light

-Superior to irons in the dark using night vision.  Blows away irons sights even with tritium blobs,.

-Superior to irons when you are shooting on the move

-Superior to irons when you are engaging a moving target

-Superior to irons when you are shooting on the move on a moving target

Zero your red dot just like you would your irons.  At 25 yards.  You should get 10 rounds in the black on a B8-C bull slow fire.

You know you are dialed in when you can shoot a speed bull of 10 rounds at 25 yards in 12 seconds or better.

Edited by fishweewee

Many shooters get a little freaked out and distracted by the dot wobbling inside the black of the bullseye they are shooting.

Once your dot is in the zone - just squeeze it off and don't try so hard to over sight perfectly.

One way to ameliorate this is to acquire a dot that covers that whole bullseye at the max range you intend to shoot.

In this case, for a B8-C repair center bull at 25 yards (75 feet) ... you would be well served by a 3.5 to 4 MOA sized dot for your RDS.

Once I took the leap and stuck a good red dot on my RAPc 9mm, it was instant accuracy improvement.  Immediately added a red dot to the wife's Taurus TX22 and it was exactly the same - night and day improved accuracy.  Yes, for the most part you do need to practice acquiring a fast sight picture on withdrawing and you will need to modify the holster or get a new one.

20210608_104204.jpg

20210608_104129.jpg

On 6/7/2021 at 7:29 AM, fishweewee said:

Many shooters get a little freaked out and distracted by the dot wobbling inside the black of the bullseye they are shooting.

The movement or "wobble" has the effect of me concentrating more on my grip and stance. I never realized before the degree of movement in my gun and how sloppy I had gotten with my grip until I started using the red dot.

Marc

I have been shooting red dots on 4 of my 5 handguns and they are without a doubt the best aid to more precise shooting for me, especially since I have become older and wear glasses to shoot. I have an Trijicon, Vortex Venom,  Shields and a Romeo 1 Pro and they are all awesome. Once you get use to them, you won't want to shoot without one. Make sure you shop around, you can save a few dollars.