Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Like a whole lot of you folks, I love to throw wood. Especially the really sweet ones. BM, Gibbs, Smith, GooGoo, GRS, Tattoo, Fishon, Big Rock and the like. However, sometimes the wallet, or my wife, dictates that I don’t spend that kind of cash. I also think that a lot of new folks feel a bit intimidated by the prices. So my question is, what commercially manufactured plugs have you guys had good luck with? I have fished the Tsunami’s and they are good. Please, this is NOT a knock on custom plugs, just some guidance for some of the less expensive ones. Looking forward to seeing your picks. 
Tight Lines 

Mike

7 inch C10 Series Cotton Cordell Redfin is one of the best bargains in surfcasting.

Your post seems to be looking for mass production wooden plugs. 

I would have to give it to Gibb's..

But, shadowing Dz and skinny. 

Bomber 16 and 17a's, along with redfins and mag darters.

I'm obsessed with custom wood and fish them hard. The fact of the matter is though. Every year almost without fail. I have more quality fish fall for redfins/ bombers, bucktails, sluggos and superstrike's. 

I am looking for mass produced wood plugs. Not plastics like bombers and red fins. 

I love the fancy plugs.  But I catch more fish on super strike little neck poppers, mambo minnows, bucktail jigs and north bar bottle darters.  I just lucked out and purchased a big water pikie darter.  Won’t fish it much.  My wife saw the price and says that much for ONE PLUG!  That being said for real surf fishing I prefer plugs that have a reasonable price and are easily replaced.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Several posts had me wondering if I read your original post wrong which it is about wood plugs not plastic plugs

I have a couple of Gibb's goo goo eyes I love ,the Big Daddy's, I also like the tsunami timbers but they're too small for my taste.

I also like the most recent run of creek chub giant Pikies for deep water fish searching.

I don't know anymore that are wooden but those are my picks.

IMG_20210323_171307.jpg.7227166de12b0721c130ad0dd99b723e.jpg

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

2 hours ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

Several posts had me wondering if I read your original post wrong which it is about wood plugs not plastic plugs

I have a couple of Gibb's goo goo eyes I love ,the Big Daddy's, I also like the tsunami timbers but they're too small for my taste.

I also like the most recent run of creek chub giant Pikies for deep water fish searching.

I don't know anymore that are wooden but those are my picks.

IMG_20210323_171307.jpg.7227166de12b0721c130ad0dd99b723e.jpg

HH

Thank you. My post does say wood. 

In my opinion the only "box store" wooden plugs that were worth anything (to me) were the original CCBC (Creek Chub) made in Garrett, Indiana and the original American made Pflueger  Mustangs and Pal-O-Mines, none of which are available nowadays. I've seen so many "box store" wooden plugs fail miserably when fished alongside "real deal" wooden plugs. I'd be very wary of spending my money on inferior merchandise.

19 mins ago, Goldy said:

I feel sporting wood are mass produced now as there are so many of them and reasonable price 25$

I have been searching high and low for a Sporting Wood 3ozish bottle darter. Do you have any idea where to grab a couple @Goldy?