Brown Belt Tom

Vintage fishing pole identification

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Good afternoon fellow fisherman, I’m looking for assistance in identifying this fishing pole I found at an estate sale this weekend. I cannot find any identifying marks anywhere. The craftsmanship looks fantastic. Any help is much appreciated.I don’t know if it’s bamboo or Hickory.

8959E9EB-CC67-4180-9243-E8B73B2296C1.jpeg

39E4F7C1-453C-4F5C-A3EE-BAEE7A13F373.jpeg

8DF54235-35ED-4EFD-96A2-72D7353E8145.jpeg

88487A07-8BE2-4176-BC9C-2CAE9EB84EE3.jpeg

666153EF-F9E6-4F5D-9E4C-F688E522BDFD.jpeg

Nice find! Looks like a complete re-wrap with updated stainless guides. Agate and German silver might have been more age appropriate, but I have seen later bamboo rods with stainless. State of the art maybe 40,s or 50's when fiberglass started pushing out the cane.It would probably explode if you tried to fish it, hang it on the wall.

The way to identify those split bamboo boat rods is the pattern on the oak handle.  Those cross hatch grips will be distinctive of the maker.  About all you can do is pour over photos until you find that pattern.  Montague were the big boys in that era, but yours is not Montague.

8 hours ago, oc1 said:

The way to identify those split bamboo boat rods is the pattern on the oak handle.  Those cross hatch grips will be distinctive of the maker.  About all you can do is pour over photos until you find that pattern.  Montague were the big boys in that era, but yours is not Montague.

Thanks for your time and help

On 6/6/2021 at 5:44 PM, dieselgrady said:

Nice find! Looks like a complete re-wrap with updated stainless guides. Agate and German silver might have been more age appropriate, but I have seen later bamboo rods with stainless. State of the art maybe 40,s or 50's when fiberglass started pushing out the cane.It would probably explode if you tried to fish it, hang it on the wall.

Just DON'T burn it as bamboo will explode.

15 hours ago, msrief said:

Just DON'T burn it as bamboo will explode.

That is for whole bamboo, not so much split bamboo.  The air inside the whole cane expands with the heat making it blow apart.

Please don't take "explode" literally, I was using hyperbole. When I worked on the Helen H in Sheepshead Bay,occasionally  .   a customer would try to use grandpa's bamboo rod  for mid size bluefish.Because the rod had completely dried out the pressure of the fish would cause the rod to break. That's why I suggested hanging it on the wall. By the way, take a look at what an Orvis, Tonkin cane fly rod costs, It  is sometimes very expensive to go "old school".

4 hours ago, dieselgrady said:

Please don't take "explode" literally, I was using hyperbole. When I worked on the Helen H in Sheepshead Bay,occasionally  .   a customer would try to use grandpa's bamboo rod  for mid size bluefish.Because the rod had completely dried out the pressure of the fish would cause the rod to break. That's why I suggested hanging it on the wall. By the way, take a look at what an Orvis, Tonkin cane fly rod costs, It  is sometimes very expensive to go "old school".

thank you

4 hours ago, dieselgrady said:

thank you