Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

4 mins ago, LowEnd said:

125 will have a larger gear set. Much better suited to deal with larger fish on a regular basis over the 75.

The average size fish I catch are 20" to 20lbs. Most around 25-35". Would this still be a concern? 

2 hours ago, Heavy Seas said:

I’m looking at the 9’ ODM Genesis and deciding between a VR75 or VR125. The 75 has plenty of line cap for open beach which is what I plan to use it for. It’s also roughly half the weight of the 125 at 9oz vs 18oz. Is there any reason to go with the 125 over 75 for this setup?  I plan to fish the entire range the rod is rated for, 1/2oz - 3oz, and will be using 20 or 30lb braid. 

I think the VR125 is a better match to ODM Genesis 9’ or 10’. I’ve had it on both.

16 hours ago, BDigital said:

VR75, weight is basically the same. Just like I would choose a VR150 over a 125. But good luck finding one. I've been waiting 3 months for a VR50b. VR75 weren't supposed to come out til August. VR50 were supposed to be out a month ago.  Tired of waiting, buying another VR150 tomorrow. Hoping the Goose has a Gen 2 in Silver. 

I appreciate everyone's thoughts between the VR50 & VR75!  I think I am going to order the VR75 in silver.  I already own a VS150 & VS250 both in gold.  I still wish Van Staal kept the gold color as I would love a VR75 in gold!  I think these three are good to cover most of my rods as the VR75 will be with 20lb, the VS150 in 30 and the VS250 in 40lb braid most of the time; although I have spare spools for the VS that are spooled in mono.

I sold most of my other reels and used the money to get my Van Staals and am so happy I did.  I have a few specialty reels like the Shimano Moocher 1 to 1 direct drive for salmon mooching and a few other specialty reels but am glad I paired my collection to a handful of quality rather than a crazy amount of mediocre reels...

3 hours ago, Heavy Seas said:

I’m looking at the 9’ ODM Genesis and deciding between a VR75 or VR125. The 75 has plenty of line cap for open beach which is what I plan to use it for. It’s also roughly half the weight of the 125 at 9oz vs 18oz. Is there any reason to go with the 125 over 75 for this setup?  I plan to fish the entire range the rod is rated for, 1/2oz - 3oz, and will be using 20 or 30lb braid. 

Based on my research and the great opinions here, I think the VR75 is perfect for 20lb, the 150 for 30, and the 250 for 40.  I opted for the 150 over the 100 for the same reason of line capacity with about the same weight and I think that is the same logic for me with the VR75 over the VR50.  Although the VR50 still looks cool as maybe one day I would still get that to use on my more freshwater rods.  I use the Van Staal reels I have to cover everything from medium freshwater to blue water fishing.  I think the VR75 can go down to some of my freshwater rods but the VR50 could go all the way down to probably everything other than an ultra light toy rod.

Can confirm the Goose has a bunch of Gen 2 VR125, VR125b, VR150b(none in silver for the 150), not sure what they had in the 175/200 bc I didn't look. Picked up a VR125 Silver to share the work load. They didn't get a single 50/50B in the order of 120+ reels, which makes me wonder if they will be out before October. 

I have heard many Mixed reviews on the VR 50 but I went out and bought one anyway and I love the reel ,I have caught some nice size fish on it and still works brand new and never had any issues have owned it now for about a year

On 8/15/2021 at 5:56 PM, Rick burke said:

I have heard many Mixed reviews on the VR 50 but I went out and bought one anyway and I love the reel ,I have caught some nice size fish on it and still works brand new and never had any issues have owned it now for about a year

I believe the only issue was the first generation of the VR 50 which I have spoken to a few people and stores whom have all said the issues have all been corrected with the second generation VR's.  

Have run a VR50 for couple of years now - no problems. 37"/ crank, ample line cap (300X30 360X20 ish). Somewhat smoother action (& price) than the VS-X. Great reel well suited to lighter work - back bay schoolies etc.

Highly recommended - you wont be sorry.

On 8/8/2021 at 2:01 PM, KironaFly said:

For Albies (the target species for my set up) the VR50 holds over 300 yards of 20lbs test GSP braid ... so plenty of line, even for those larger Harker's Island torpedos. Not having seen let alone handle a VR75 I don't know all the differences. Maybe the VR 75 has a thicker main shaft like the newer VR150s?

The VR50/VR75 do not have the shaft upgrade or drag upgrade like the VR125 and up.

But the gears have been upgraded, anyone hear different.