Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

Ive had my VR50 black since it came out.  It did have some issues but was fixed and has been working great.  I dont think you would find a lighter reel for light inshore setups.  I have mine spooled with 20lb jbraid 8x.

6 hours ago, pchilds76 said:

Thanks

They are very cool little reels with high line capacity. I have mine paired to an ODM DNA Back bay rod. But if money were an issue ... a Daiwa BG 3000 in hard to beat.

Which would you choose the VR50 or the VR75? I would love to know everyone's thoughts between these two models as they are close to each other, is the slight extra weight worth the extra line capacity?

3 hours ago, zudo said:

Which would you choose the VR50 or the VR75? I would love to know everyone's thoughts between these two models as they are close to each other, is the slight extra weight worth the extra line capacity?

First world problems! ;-)

personally, I always opt for more line capacity if the weight difference is negligible. But I don’t have the cashola for a VS/VR so take that with a grain of salt. 

VR75, weight is basically the same. Just like I would choose a VR150 over a 125. But good luck finding one. I've been waiting 3 months for a VR50b. VR75 weren't supposed to come out til August. VR50 were supposed to be out a month ago.  Tired of waiting, buying another VR150 tomorrow. Hoping the Goose has a Gen 2 in Silver. 

I’ve had the original silver model since it came out a few years back. It’s been one of

my go to setups for back bay which is most of my fishing. Many many fish caught. No problems.

Only problem I’ve had with the reel was the bail-less kit. They supposedly redid the kit not long ago after all of the complaints of it being unbalanced.

Well, the new kit on the original silver models is still unbalanced. I installed the kit, and the wobble was so bad I immediately removed the kit, and went back to bailed. Other than that, I’ve liked the reel.

11 hours ago, zudo said:

I think that depends on the rod you intend to use it on. While the VR 50 is smallish it’s just right on an ODM Back bay rod (7’6”). Some accomplished SOLers put it on an ODM Genesis 9ft or 10ft BH Suzuki. For bigger rods and heavier GSP braid lines (more than 20lbs test) then I might opt for the VR 75. Which has the same frame with a larger diameter spool that works because they lengthened the reel seat to reel body stem / handle. IMHO.

16 hours ago, zudo said:

I'm trying to decide between these 2 also and haven't figured out any reason not to go with the 75. Same weight and more line capacity. Why would they still offer the 50 then? I might be missing something. Still can't find either one in silver though anyway.

I have the VR 50, on a 8’6” salmon rod or a 8’ GSB. It’s a fine light tackle set up.

The reel is small and so are the gears. I wouldn’t trust them to hold up if you fish it beyond it’s intended use.

For back bay schoolies it’s awesome.

If you fish for Albies etc. the 75’s added capacity maybe beneficial.

For Albies (the target species for my set up) the VR50 holds over 300 yards of 20lbs test GSP braid ... so plenty of line, even for those larger Harker's Island torpedos. Not having seen let alone handle a VR75 I don't know all the differences. Maybe the VR 75 has a thicker main shaft like the newer VR150s?

I’m looking at the 9’ ODM Genesis and deciding between a VR75 or VR125. The 75 has plenty of line cap for open beach which is what I plan to use it for. It’s also roughly half the weight of the 125 at 9oz vs 18oz. Is there any reason to go with the 125 over 75 for this setup?  I plan to fish the entire range the rod is rated for, 1/2oz - 3oz, and will be using 20 or 30lb braid.