HillTop

Tube Popper

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Rainy's SW foam head, synthetics (wig hair stuff) as a tube fly.   A little UV coating for durability.

HT

popper1.png.1b1d417ab997151be6f01b4ca2ae59bb.png

popper2.png.056cbe1d1b599837f7b643e5f746e768.png

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 hours ago, Sngl2th said:

Absolutely beautiful. What is the hook/tube?

Thanks Sngl2th,

The hook is a Gamakatsu SL12S, Size 2.    I'm getting to like tube flies and as you had posted on another thread, keep the fly discard the hook.   Optionally you can go up or down a size hook or switch out to a complete different hook manufacturer if so inclined.

For a lot of my smaller tube flies I've been using commercial stainless hypodermic tubing.   Unlimited selection in diameters, cut them to length with a Dremel cutoff wheel and then I cover them with a an appropriate sized shrink tubing, leaving a little overhand of shrink tubing  on each end to help protect the leader.  ( I do deburr the ends of the hypo-tube.)   Seems to work out quite well.

HT

hpto.png.b94439400f7dfe4dba6d7764e4b62b01.png

The hypo-tubing is great for small sand eel flies like this one.

tube4.jpg.62c3673958cb8caf1909b98a270231a1.jpg

Edited by HillTop

I like this idea of “keeping the fly, leaving the hook” as I literally hate the thought of me losing a fly only for it to get picked up by a fish and stuck in their mouth later (I don’t care about losing the fly, I care about the fish’s well being). I’m not super privy to tube flies, is there a way to ensure that you lose the hook and not the fly/does the hook separate from the fly if you break off? 

21 mins ago, Ftyer said:

I like this idea of “keeping the fly, leaving the hook” as I literally hate the thought of me losing a fly only for it to get picked up by a fish and stuck in their mouth later (I don’t care about losing the fly, I care about the fish’s well being). I’m not super privy to tube flies, is there a way to ensure that you lose the hook and not the fly/does the hook separate from the fly if you break off? 

If the hook straightens you get to keep the fly and use again.   If it's a break off depends if there's enough knot left (or tippet material),  at the end of the tippet to keep the fly from sliding off.   They hypo tubing I've been using is pretty small diameter so if there is any knot left (I use loop knots) then there's a chance you can keep the fly.  

Ftyer I have been thinking about ways of doing that, and will be testing it out. Maybe others have as well. I was thinking of stringing a bead on some tippet, running it through the back and then using a non-slip loop to clinch it on the leader with a little slack. This would also obviate a possible problem with hooking a fish and having a bluefish attack the fly when it slides up the leader. Will be moving to RI next year and may encounter blues more. Just a thought.

Edit: Hilltop thanks as always for your thoughtful commentary. I like the needle idea. I used to see McMaster Carr catalog when I worked at a machine shop. Wouldn;t want to get stuck with a needle that big though!

Edited by Sngl2th

12 hours ago, HillTop said:

If the hook straightens you get to keep the fly and use again.   If it's a break off depends if there's enough knot left (or tippet material),  at the end of the tippet to keep the fly from sliding off.   They hypo tubing I've been using is pretty small diameter so if there is any knot left (I use loop knots) then there's a chance you can keep the fly.  

Curious about using a loop knot when the eye of the hook is (or supposed to be) in the junction tubing. Or you do that to improve your chances of keeping the fly if the leader breaks in the loop? I think any break above the knot will result in a lost fly. 

Thank you both for your replies here. I‘ve done nothing with tube flies. I wonder if there’s a knot that could be tied above the hook that would keep the tube separate from the hook, something slightly larger than the diameter of the tube? If that knot had a higher breaking strength than the knot on the hook, in theory, it should hold while the hook breaks off and you can just strip the tube fly in? No clue if anything I said is correct or even logical, just spitballing. 

2 hours ago, Ftyer said:

Thank you both for your replies here. I‘ve done nothing with tube flies. I wonder if there’s a knot that could be tied above the hook that would keep the tube separate from the hook, something slightly larger than the diameter of the tube? If that knot had a higher breaking strength than the knot on the hook, in theory, it should hold while the hook breaks off and you can just strip the tube fly in? No clue if anything I said is correct or even logical, just spitballing. 

Typically there is a soft plastic tube (interference fit) as a go between with the tube that your fly is tied and the hook.   This soft tube is a tighter fit on the fly tube and a less tight fit on the hook eye.   This keeps your hook in the proper alignment when casting/retrieving so that it doesn't "flop" around to keel the fly.   Also depending on conditions you don't want the fly walking up the leader so you need some type fit from the fly to the eye of the hook.   Imagine the popper tube fly if the hook wasn't attached in this manner, the popper would float away from the hook.

I think some of the salmon / steelhead tube flies I've seen don't necessarily use this junction tube but I suspect if the current they are swinging their fly in is strong enough the fly will run down to the hook   They also often use treble hooks in those situations so there's not so much issue with getting the hook point in the proper orientation.   Just my take as I'm no tube expert my any stretch of the imagination. 

HT

Edited by HillTop

11 hours ago, Suave said:

Curious about using a loop knot when the eye of the hook is (or supposed to be) in the junction tubing. Or you do that to improve your chances of keeping the fly if the leader breaks in the loop? I think any break above the knot will result in a lost fly. 

You know I'm just so accustomed to tying loop knots that I really never use a direct connection, like an improved clinch knot any longer.   A small loop knot slide right into the junction tube and I never thought twice about it :)