Mainiac

Weird start.

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Usually by now my local beaches are ass deep in stripers. It just ain't the case this year. i've made several trips to several beaches and caught zip. I've done real well recently in the estuaries though. I can't figure why the beaches are barren at the moment. There is bait there. Going to give it a try again in the morning. I'm a sucker for punishment. will report.

I agree Mal - something is off this year.  In theory, they should be arriving in good numbers by now - and feed like crazy.  I'm not seeing numbers and they are feeding like it's August...hopefully things come around.  I'm worried about this species...

Even "down south", the larger (slot or higher) striper migration has been slower than average this season for me although there are now signs that it is changing for the better. I'm speaking only of the shore fishery, have no clue what the boats are doing. 

But the blues seem to be a little more numerous than average. That may or may not translate to better numbers in ME this year, hard to say...

As someone who’s currently in NJ, be patient. They are coming, guys down here are still getting in to plenty big bass! I’ll bring them up with me when I move to Freeport next week

Interesting. While I don’t fish as often as you guys, I find the best fishing off the beaches at least in the OOB area to be end of June early July. 

For me, the start of every year has something unusual happening, but this year nothing jumps out as exceptionally strange.   The Memorial Weekend weather and a few commitments have kept me in more than usual, but when I have gone out, fishing has been just about what I would expect for early June off the beaches.   One thing different from last year is I feel the size is a bit bigger.   I haven't seen any micros (yet).   

Inside the harbor has been slow and spotty, Definitely the slowest in 10 yrs. The surf has been tough as the wind is off the water, Very little in sand eels around in the estuaries. Talked with 2 younger guys using sandworms and floats that said they had at least 50 landed and a hookup a drift on incoming. None of my normal spots, He told me where or close and I guessed, yes it's got sand eels, very very long walk.

I have been fishing RI for the last 3 days. Incredible rocks up here. Finding it a little daunting surf fishing so much rocks and not being entirely familiar with the area. Thinking about moving up to southern to central Maine. And I haven’t been to Maine since my family drove up for my very first ski trip when I was 2! 

Wondering if I would be able to find slightly more hospitable beaches that are more of a mixture of sand and rocks and not the ledge rock style beaches? 

I have korkers but am still fishing by myself most of the time and it’s easier to take calculated risks with someone else sometimes.

If any of you ever wanted to team up for safety while fishing let me know. I’ve been fishing for a long long time. Just want to throw some plugs in the surf.
Won’t get in your way at all. That would be cool.

Beaches have actually been fishing very well for me lately and produced my first fish in the slot range of the year today. Things are a little less consistent than I’ve seen, but there are fish around. 

4 hours ago, WindAndWater said:

I have been fishing RI for the last 3 days. Incredible rocks up here. Finding it a little daunting surf fishing so much rocks and not being entirely familiar with the area. Thinking about moving up to southern to central Maine. And I haven’t been to Maine since my family drove up for my very first ski trip when I was 2! 

Wondering if I would be able to find slightly more hospitable beaches that are more of a mixture of sand and rocks and not the ledge rock style beaches? 

I have korkers but am still fishing by myself most of the time and it’s easier to take calculated risks with someone else sometimes.

If any of you ever wanted to team up for safety while fishing let me know. I’ve been fishing for a long long time. Just want to throw some plugs in the surf.

There are many easy beach fishing places, The only problem is finding parking. I hate rocks now that I slid and fall like a drunk I don't drink:sarc:

A sign of the times unfortunately, the fish are declining and it’s showing. Just wait until the commercials start taking the bigger fish three days a week now, see less and less in NH/ME.....

Thanks all. I am out fishing Narragansett/south RI rocks. Throwing plugs right now. There’s a bunch of people around me soaking bait but not seeing anyone catching anything. 

I actually wanted to try a beach spot in Narragansett but parking was so confusing. All of the lots nearby had signs saying permits of something or the other required. I couldn’t really tell if I could park there at all. I didn’t want to stop and ask anyone. Tons of people around today. Maybe tomorrow. 

On 6/6/2021 at 0:56 PM, RAW said:

Inside the harbor has been slow and spotty, Definitely the slowest in 10 yrs. The surf has been tough as the wind is off the water, Very little in sand eels around in the estuaries. Talked with 2 younger guys using sandworms and floats that said they had at least 50 landed and a hookup a drift on incoming. None of my normal spots, He told me where or close and I guessed, yes it's got sand eels, very very long walk.

50! when is enough enough?  geeze...

On 6/6/2021 at 2:08 PM, WindAndWater said:

Pine Point and Old Orchard are very sandy, you don't battle the rocky coast line.  Fishing there is pretty good.  At my age, I only go near rocks, NEVER on them.  Last night I hit the front beaches and got on the board (FINALLY!), so they are here and it felt wonderful!!