8 & Bait

Youtube Idiots

Rate this topic

341 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I am a huge fan of fishing videos on YouTube and it's basically all I watch at this point.

I have learned so much - ways to improve my technique, what fish are biting at the moment, and how various products compare to each other. 

YouTube allows you to turn your fishing hobby into a full time job. I don't see what's wrong with that.

Obviously spot burning is not good but saying stuff like "it's just a bunch of dumb narcissists" is completely wrong. Bunch of clueless geezers on this forum.

Edited by TimS
We don't promote social media channels here - this is a generic discussion...it's nothing personal, but please don't promote channels here - thanks :-)

Sounds like your a YouTuber mascarading as a random viewer that LOVVESSSS YOUTUBE VIDEOS with his 15 posts here on the site 

how other people make their money isnt my problem until it affects the quality of the time I spend trying to avoid things like work and people.   Finding fish is always the bonus as Jose wajebe Flip Pallot and the like once preached.  

Footage that taught as much about the finer aspects of angling as well as life..... something as I mentioned most youtubers know nothing about.

Edited by DeepBlue85

24 mins ago, DeepBlue85 said:

Tim, iv lurked here since early 2000. Created an account in 2008 and have since switched names...... as much as a web site's attendance make it's content, you sir have created a thing far exceeding any other site of it's kind and I can unequivocally reinforce the fact that spot burning here has been handled better than anywhere else. It hardly exists...here...on the internet of sol...who would think that could be done there days?   

Damn...you've been here almost as long as I have! :th:  It's the good folks here, like you, that do the heavy lifting, I just keep the lights one :howdy: 

As a new fisherman, I’ve learned a lot from YouTube.

However now that I actually fish, it’s become unwatchable to me. 

YouTube is clearly bad for the fishery. People who record videos and post them are egotistical and narcissistic for sure. There trying to benefit off the fish and there not doing anything special at all. I’m new and out fish most of em. 

In short, someone makes a video, people who have zero clue what they’re doing and most likely don’t have respect for the spots/fish literally dissect the background and go there. They tell everyone. They bring their friends. Now 50 guys are fishing the spot. I’ve seen it happen. 

Watch it all you want but once you actually are out there on 3-4x a week basis you’ll want it to go away rather quickly. 

Edited by CLFish5

3 hours ago, carangua said:

The more our sport is popular on social media, the better it is for the safeguard of recreational fishing.

Some think that the entire activity should be kept under the radar with the least public info.

This will only marginalize sports fishing due to its silence and non existence in the main scene.

We as anglers , must advocate for our sport and make it as much as visible as possible, especially through modern social media.

This will entice the legislator to preserve areas where we can practice our activity, as well as the live stocks and what is to be allocated to us and professionals.

Only if said legislators cans see a way to profit from it

Trust me, this opinion is from experience

Who is more of an idiot? The guy making the YouTube video or the one watching them.

Have to confess that once in awhile I watch one. So I’m an idiot!

As someone else said, iv watched a handful on the toilet...which is where this resulting rant about the garbage that's out there started today.  You tube sellouts willing to bastardize a sacred thing for their own  individual emotional and financial gains.  

57 mins ago, TimS said:

Because everybody here knows boat fish don't count :wave:.............

Too funny.  I haven't heard that in a while.

Since boat fish don't count, here's some more.  :)

2 mins ago, JoeyZac said:

Too funny.  I haven't heard that in a while.

Since boat fish don't count, here's some more.  :)

Man, if only boat fish counted they would be AWESOME! ;)

38 mins ago, DeepBlue85 said:

Sounds like your a YouTuber mascarading as a random viewer that LOVVESSSS YOUTUBE VIDEOS with his 15 posts here on the site 

how other people make their money isnt my problem until it affects the quality of the time I spend trying to avoid things like work and people.   Finding fish is always the bonus as Jose wajebe Flip Pallot and the like once preached.  

Footage that taught as much about the finer aspects of angling as well as life..... something as I mentioned most youtubers know nothing about.

I love watching flip and Jose and they seem like amazing people judging from what ive seen on video. And they are phenomenal anglers. but as far as im concerned they agreed to shoot those shows to advertise a guided tropical fishing adventure to middle america. They do lack the elephant sized ego or at least hide it better.

2 mins ago, TheSuperApe said:

I love watching flip and Jose and they seem like amazing people judging from what ive seen on video. And they are phenomenal anglers. but as far as im concerned they agreed to shoot those shows to advertise a guided tropical fishing adventure to middle america. They do lack the elephant sized ego or at least hide it better.

There was a vaccume at the time to be filled, they did it with style, respect for the locations and most importantly the fish.  They acted as stewards to the land they fished as much as fishermen in an actual earned educational capacity.  

Today our shores and our media is INUNDATED with show boaters and sell outs that teach nothing. Buy this product, use this jig.... they do it for MONEYYYYY THEY DONT CARE IF THE VIEWERS ARE ENTERTAINED OR LEARN....which is evident in their substancles content and awful style. 

1 min ago, DeepBlue85 said:

There was a vaccume at the time to be filled, they did it with style, respect for the locations and most importantly the fish.  They acted as stewards to the land they fished as much as fishermen in an actual earned educational capacity.  

Today our shores and our media is INUNDATED with show boaters and sell outs that teach nothing. Buy this product, use this jig.... they do it for MONEYYYYY THEY DONT CARE IF THE VIEWERS ARE ENTERTAINED OR LEARN....which is evident in their substancles content and awful style. 

I agree that they were great productions starring great people. But they did exactly what you are complaining about. They helped turn empty flats fished by real anglers into a fashion runway of boats and gear and color coded sunshirts and coolers with their go pros mounted. You think walkers grew in popularity due to the show? Do you think locals liked their secrets being told to dreamers in indiana?

Locals benefited from the notoriety that show generated and created jobs both in guiding, hospitality and general tourism....... there are stories of local kids growing up into professional guides who both watched over the water and made a living ...putting money back into the community. 

Come tell me how these upper middle class youtube rich kids are anything like that.  Also come tell me cramped long island waterways are anything like the Caribbean.....respectfully, your point is a non starter.

Edited by DeepBlue85

29 mins ago, DeepBlue85 said:

Locals benefited from the notoriety that show generated and created jobs both in guiding, hospitality and general tourism....... there are stories of local kids growing up into professional guides who both watched over the water and made a living ...putting money back into the community. 

Come tell me how these upper middle class youtube rich kids are anything like that.  Also come tell me cramped long island waterways are anything like the Caribbean.....respectfully, your point is a non starter.

Nah man. Youre just picking and choosing which platform is acceptable and what type of person is allowed to do it. Thats called moving the goal posts and..... respectfully, thats a logical fallacie. Its ok as long as it doesnt affect your striper spots.

And im 100% certain that somewhere theres an old fart complaining about how overrun his old favorite flat is and how a tv show made it too popular.