8 & Bait

Youtube Idiots

Rate this topic

341 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 hours ago, z-man said:

No one is going to wait until the off season to post their videos. That doesn’t make sense. A solution would be for people to stop filming at well recognizable locations or to keep their camera positioned to not show landmarks. It shouldn’t be too difficult. 

Someone light a scented candle for z-man, we finally agree. 

Please spare a moment to read this long winded remark, I think it's pretty important for anyone who makes, watches or resents future YouTube fishing videos.

Hopefully guys can take the time to do exactly that and record more responsibly, and, take the time to be more stylistic and entertaining in their productions.  It's in YouTube fishing video producer's best interest to dignify the process by being as good and as professional about etiquette, entertainment and facts as they can and no, it isnt easy nor should it be.

Speaking out against spot burning, avoiding being guilty of it them selves, discussing fisheries issues, discussing the history of surf fishing, and throwing around creative personal theories they may have learned on the water instead of regurgitating old info from different platforms.  Organize a clean up, post clean up videos and if they really care about putting a nice product out there, go out of your way to study the sport your using to make money or what ever your motive. Be a steward to the sport, not of your self, be better at it, increase your knowledge through....books if need be..fish enough to learn new things your self and include facts you feel are uniquely important to you, not just what everyone else is saying.  Actual good music helps too.....guys used to educate them selves by doing and through others they fished with both out of love and dependency for the job it once was and the sport it's now become...Similar effort today is the stuff that separates the skilled video producers and the ones that are guilty of everything else previously thrown on the wall of this thread. But above all, record responsibly the way z-man and others have requested.

I hope people who make videos read this, truly I do.

Edited by DeepBlue85

On 6/10/2021 at 4:58 PM, DeepBlue85 said:

Someone light a scented candle for z-man, we finally agree. 

Please spare a moment to read this long winded remark, I think it's pretty important for anyone who makes, watches or resents future YouTube fishing videos.

Hopefully guys can take the time to do exactly that and record more responsibly, and, take the time to be more stylistic and entertaining in their productions.  It's in YouTube fishing video producer's best interest to dignify the process by being as good and as professional about etiquette, entertainment and facts as they can and no, it isnt easy nor should it be.

Speaking out against spot burning, avoiding being guilty of it them selves, discussing fisheries issues, discussing the history of surf fishing, and throwing around creative personal theories they may have learned on the water instead of regurgitating old info from different platforms.  Organize a clean up, post clean up videos and if they really care about putting a nice product out there, go out of your way to study the sport your using to make money or what ever your motive. Be a steward to the sport, not of your self, be better at it, increase your knowledge through....books if need be..fish enough to learn new things your self and include facts you feel are uniquely important to you, not just what everyone else is saying.  Actual good music helps too.....guys used to educate them selves by doing and through others they fished with both out of love and dependency for the job it once was and the sport it's now become...Similar effort today is the stuff that separates the skilled video producers and the ones that are guilty of everything else previously thrown on the wall of this thread. But above all, record responsibly the way z-man and others have requested.

I hope people who make videos read this, truly I do.

A lot of these guys (and especially kids) don’t understand the harms of burning spots. Not all, but a lot. I’ve been in their shoes. Not youtube, but posting info on social media. A number of years back, someone had a very civil positive conversation with me, and I saw the downside of it. 

If you see them “in the wild” have a polite conversation with them about the negatives of sport burning. They can still promote their “brand” while not damaging the spots they fish. YouTube is here to stay due to the money they can make off of it. Let’s face it, getting paid for doing something you love makes every day at work a great day. 

1 hour ago, wefish138 said:

A lot of these guys (and especially kids) don’t understand the harms of burning spots. Not all, but a lot. I’ve been in their shoes. Not youtube, but posting info on social media. A number of years back, someone had a very civil positive conversation with me, and I saw the downside of it. 

If you see them “in the wild” have a polite conversation with them about the negatives of sport burning. They can still promote their “brand” while not damaging the spots they fish. YouTube is here to stay due to the money they can make off of it. Let’s face it, getting paid for doing something you love makes every day at work a great day. 

As Scooby pointed out, there is no money in you tube videos. So the “brand”becomes “look at me” and let me blow up a spot because l am a great fisherman and so can you!
Guess what? It’s not a great day b/c there is no money in it only droves of wantabes.

Years ago, I feared that this sport would fade away with the lack of interest from young people who only wanted to be gamers.

Now, we are all bitching about how many people are actually fishing.

Take your poison, either way it sucks.

Take your poison, it’s a curse either way.

3 mins ago, LowEnd said:

As Scooby pointed out, there is no money in you tube videos. So the “brand”becomes “look at me” and let me blow up a spot because l am a great fisherman and so can you!
Guess what? It’s not a great day b/c there is no money in it only droves of wantabes.

Years ago, I feared that this sport would fade away with the lack of interest from young people who only wanted to be gamers.

Now, we are all bitching about how many people are actually fishing.

Take your poison, either way it sucks.

Take your poison, it’s a curse either way.

That depends on what you’re doing. “Sponsored” videos (this video brought to you by..) Amazon affiliate links, brand ambassador/pro staff situations, etc. that all adds up. Someone with some marketing insight can absolutely do it as a living. You’re not going to be making six figures, but if someone plays their cards rights and finds the right niche they can certainly have a modest income. 

On 6/12/2021 at 7:47 PM, wefish138 said:

That depends on what you’re doing. “Sponsored” videos (this video brought to you by..) Amazon affiliate links, brand ambassador/pro staff situations, etc. that all adds up. Someone with some marketing insight can absolutely do it as a living. You’re not going to be making six figures, but if someone plays their cards rights and finds the right niche they can certainly have a modest income. 

Define modest.

Define living.

In 2021....You won't even crack 4 figures your first year even if you played your cards right, unless you bring something truly unique, or pushed right now on fledgeling social media platforms that pushed to youtube...even still good luck..

How does someone with marketing insight pay for marketing if they aren't making any money?

Amazon affiliate earnings have been cut by 40% since I started about the same with ebay(amazon beats everyone by 50x).  Brand ambassadors don't make squat....maybe 5-10 percent per sale.....

It'll take 90 days before you even see a penny from any of them which is when you'll start getting paid on your first month.  

Even Collaborations with some of the biggest in the industry don't help.

I got in 5 years ago and it was already pretty much too late.  Now....forget about it.  

6 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Define modest.

Define living.

In 2021....You won't even crack 4 figures your first year even if you played your cards right, unless you bring something truly unique, or pushed right now on fledgeling social media platforms that pushed to youtube...even still good luck..

How does someone with marketing insight pay for marketing if they aren't making any money?

Amazon affiliate earnings have been cut by 40% since I started about the same with ebay(amazon beats everyone by 50x).  Brand ambassadors don't make squat....maybe 5-10 percent per sale.....

It'll take 90 days before you even see a penny from any of them which is when you'll start getting paid on your first month.  

Even Collaborations with some of the biggest in the industry don't help.

I got in 5 years ago and it was already pretty much too late.  Now....forget about it.  

How many views do you think you would need to make around $100K per year. Is that something like a video with a 100K views per week or much more? Most big channels seem to also have merchandise and giveaways that probably bring in a decent amount of money too. I don’t see nearly the amount of views with the fishing channels I watch compared to the kids related channels my kids watch. I think the younger crowd is where the real money is. 

12 mins ago, z-man said:

How many views do you think you would need to make around $100K per year. Is that something like a video with a 100K views per week or much more? Most big channels seem to also have merchandise and giveaways that probably bring in a decent amount of money too. I don’t see nearly the amount of views with the fishing channels I watch compared to the kids related channels my kids watch. I think the younger crowd is where the real money is. 

based on eyeballs coming from the United states......(other countries the value per 1000 views is far lower)

Also certain times of year the $ per view is much higher.

1000 views the week before black friday or christmas is 10x that of the 3rd week in january.

And financial channels the value of 1000 views is at least 2x that of a fishing channel.

To make 100k pre double tax (sole proprietors get taxed hard)

You would have to get at least 20,000,000 views averaging at least 10 minutes per view and front load the videos with lots of commercials, and your viewers would have to be aged in a range valuable to advertisers.  Those numbers aren't realistic though.

My 2020 looked like this for youtube views and $$$ 7 million views and $20K - I only posted 30 videos

I posted amazon links to deals daily on my youtube back channel....like 40$ for 200$ sunglasses...30$ for 70$ reels......5 backs of lucky crafts for 24$ that sorta thing.....

That generated almost equal affiliate earnings without having to overload ads on my vids or do stupid promos...I did make good money on Olight flashlight affiliate revenue...Sold about 20000 $ in damn good flashlights and got paid 10-15%  (Only posted vids when they had huge 30-50% off sales)

To get to that point strictly making fishing videos..........wow....good luck.....and there is no where but down once you get up there :)

I watched a video talking about some afternoon tv show.....channel 9 and 11 sorta stuff...they mentioned the target demographic not having the money to spend and shows getting cancelled or moved to time slots that paid better ad revenue......that's sorta like kids content.....100,000 views pays 5$ for 2 min long vids viewed by kids.

1 hour ago, scoobydoo said:

based on eyeballs coming from the United states......(other countries the value per 1000 views is far lower)

Also certain times of year the $ per view is much higher.

1000 views the week before black friday or christmas is 10x that of the 3rd week in january.

And financial channels the value of 1000 views is at least 2x that of a fishing channel.

To make 100k pre double tax (sole proprietors get taxed hard)

You would have to get at least 20,000,000 views averaging at least 10 minutes per view and front load the videos with lots of commercials, and your viewers would have to be aged in a range valuable to advertisers.  Those numbers aren't realistic though.

My 2020 looked like this for youtube views and $$$ 7 million views and $20K - I only posted 30 videos

I posted amazon links to deals daily on my youtube back channel....like 40$ for 200$ sunglasses...30$ for 70$ reels......5 backs of lucky crafts for 24$ that sorta thing.....

That generated almost equal affiliate earnings without having to overload ads on my vids or do stupid promos...I did make good money on Olight flashlight affiliate revenue...Sold about 20000 $ in damn good flashlights and got paid 10-15%  (Only posted vids when they had huge 30-50% off sales)

To get to that point strictly making fishing videos..........wow....good luck.....and there is no where but down once you get up there :)

I watched a video talking about some afternoon tv show.....channel 9 and 11 sorta stuff...they mentioned the target demographic not having the money to spend and shows getting cancelled or moved to time slots that paid better ad revenue......that's sorta like kids content.....100,000 views pays 5$ for 2 min long vids viewed by kids.

It sounds like the moral of the story is, don’t quit your day job. If you enjoy making videos do it for fun but don’t plan on getting rich from it. Maybe you’ll make some extra money to help pay for your hobbies. It’s certainly not worth burning your best spots for. :laugh:

3 hours ago, z-man said:

It sounds like the moral of the story is, don’t quit your day job. If you enjoy making videos do it for fun but don’t plan on getting rich from it. Maybe you’ll make some extra money to help pay for your hobbies. It’s certainly not worth burning your best spots for. :laugh:

Unless you do something very niche and that niche has a wide audience..... 

At no time is burning down your house advisable ;)

Towards  the end of last year I saw that it had may have a real future.  Every video drop paid real money.... 

But the weight of having to always present to an audience.... On a platform that can cut revenue payouts on a whim... Not a fun way to plan a future