8 & Bait

Youtube Idiots

Rate this topic

341 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

If you're one of those youtubers please quantify any comments by saying so before you post

Edited by Sudsy

7 mins ago, ReyAztecaNY said:

How are these "idiots" "googan" "newbies" "amateurs" arriving at these "unfished" or "unknown" super secret spots?

Most of the videos it's few fish at spots that have been popular for a long time. Tackle shops don't seem to mind the fresh faces btw.

As I mentioned, info is given to some of these kids as an expression of kindness, or the fool who accidentally talks about it.  Others simply look where others are fishing and then sneak down like rats the next night or tide. 

A shop's plight isnt my problem and it shouldnt depend on the over-run destruction of previously unfished spots for their business.  

I'm not talking about well known spots and I'm not talking about how people may or may not know about them.  

But there are some places that just dont get fished and have been carefully handled by those who do.  Moreover the issue is time...when a video is posted the day after a bite went on, that's about the dumbest thing anyone can do.

With cameras.....

Rats.

Edited by DeepBlue85

Yea it’s the lack of respect for the guys that been at these spots long time . They show dam exactly where they are and it brings in the crowds like you wouldn’t believe. People are lazy and love easy and instant gratification..  

ya wanna post hero vid , or how to vids or stuff like that , I say go nuts .. but once you burning spots to the ground catching fish and posting vid that night or next day and now the spot that had 10 guys has 100  it’s wrong and disrespectful 

I'd love to have some of these youtubers come here and argue on their own behalf...otherwise their just the empty suits they appear to be.

21 mins ago, Sudsy said:

If you're one of those youtubers please quantify any comments by saying so before you post

Why you hating on old scoob. :laugh:

Edited by hobobob

The more our sport is popular on social media, the better it is for the safeguard of recreational fishing.

Some think that the entire activity should be kept under the radar with the least public info.

This will only marginalize sports fishing due to its silence and non existence in the main scene.

We as anglers , must advocate for our sport and make it as much as visible as possible, especially through modern social media.

This will entice the legislator to preserve areas where we can practice our activity, as well as the live stocks and what is to be allocated to us and professionals.

Unlike many bashers here, who specifically target young youtubers saying they don't know what they are talking about, I find it very positive that the young generation is interested and advocates for fishing no matter their knowledge; they are spreading our sport and I thank them for that.

I enjoy watching fishing videos on YouTube. More specifically I like watching local fishing videos. I would much rather watch someone fluking from shore in NJ than a TV fishing show where they’re running a triple engine 200,000 dollar boat out of Key West doing fishing I can’t or will never be able to relate. This is the world we live in now. I don’t see it changing. The same could be said for Forums like this. Lots of people on here discussing fishing because it’s enjoyable to them. Lots of great info handed out here on rigs tackle etc. Stuff that I had to figure out on my own thirty years ago is answered here in one post. 
Granted we don’t spot burn on here but the places YouTubers fish that are easily recognized are just that, really popular spots that most fisherman know about. 

Nope.....spot burning YouTube videos do nothing for conservation efforts but draw crowds of people who end up littering or causing trespassing issues of which many youtubers are blatantly guilty them selves.... by virtue of the places they are fishing.

Conflating youtube spot burning with real conservation minded anglers or the movement toward more conservation friendly regulation is a disingenuous attempt at legitimizing something that has done more damage to local fishing spots than before it ever existed. 

Nice try though

Edited by DeepBlue85

3 hours ago, The Riddler said:

I also do the same thing. I watch youtube fisherman videos when I am taking a dump. 

Pass...I have yet to go to YT and watch a fishing video and don't anticipate any need to ever do so. If people spent any time fishing instead of watching other people on their phones, they'd actually learn stuff. Watching some catch a hundred fluke in an afternoon doesn't make the place your fishing as good as the honey hole he's fishing, there aren't a hundred fluke where you are fishing and there's 50 thousand where he is. It matters :) 

I might stumble into a guy fishing a place i have for years, never seeing someone else.  I wont say a word to you and probably hate the fact that your there.  Then you show up the next tide....and frequently after that I start to realise you come to this place with the same thing in mind as me.  You found a place to fish. You found the fish and you kept it to your self and earned respect and trust from someone in the process.   Once I, or guys like me realise your willing to work hard to find fish, keeping it to your self and then commiting to learn more for your self, guys like me will do for you, what we were lucky enough to have earned in the same way our selves and also, were given by other vastly more knowledgable fisherman years ago.  

We will share our knowledge, things you'll never find your self, things no one else knows and places fish live that you'll likely never know were there. Guys with real knowledge want to pass on knowledge to these young kids, THAT is what grows the sport and preserves the lifestyle that PROTECTS these places. 

The second I see a go pro on your face your exactly everything wrong with surf fishing, and if you were that kid I dropped some info on out of friendly acknowledgment and you show up with your go pro pal's....your exactly everything wrong with society.  No honor no respect and no appreciation beyond the greedy intentions of your short minded pursuits.

Edited by DeepBlue85

Most of these people are trying to create an income stream.  Some succeed.  Been going on forever... I never learned much watching Bill Dance fish a private Alabama farm pond or Jimmy Houston kiss a glorified sunfish and saying "booyah".  It's entertainment for those that want to watch it.

Edited by Slacker

Yes...bastardising places sacred to those who appreciate it for it's natural opportunities...not financial greedy pursuits....which is what makes the youtube croud garbage what they are, garbage. 

20 mins ago, TimS said:

Pass...I have yet to go to YT and watch a fishing video and don't anticipate any need to ever do so. If people spent any time fishing instead of watching other people on their phones, they'd actually learn stuff. Watching some catch a hundred fluke in an afternoon doesn't make the place your fishing as good as the honey hole he's fishing, there aren't a hundred fluke where you are fishing and there's 50 thousand where he is. It matters :) 

If fishing was only about location, then your entire website would have no meaning.

Again, you are mixing youtubers with spot burning. It is not systematically the case.

More over, TimS, as the owner of a website about fishing on the net, you are the last person I'd expect putting down others who promote their catches and methods on you tube.  

I watch youtube fishing vids when i’m not fishing. I just like it, fishing. I watch fishing videos and go fishing. It’s my favorite passtime. I’m not going to get personally offended if some person is in my general area filming himself fish, quite frankly i think a smart way to generate revenue doing something you enjoy. More power to them, granted there are some pretty aweful youtubers out there. I generally don’t watch them because there content sucks.

one of my favroite youtubers is an old timer out there doing barebones videos, fishyourway. Watch some of his videos and tell me you can’t learn anything from him. 

The idea that these people are publicizing the sport and shining light on it to increase recreational access and exposure is incredibly short sighted. Many people do not realize when posting on here, let alone youtube that the majority of the views and "hits" on a post are from people who are not affiliated with the site or in youtube's case the fishing community. In other words, there are people watching these videos that don't have a care in the world regarding management of areas or conservation. They simply want to identify the area (which is incredibly easy in many cases) and go catch fish. This leads to crowds. Case in point, the smith point bridge, island beach state park, Barnegat jetty along with numerous points along the south side of Montauk. The so called "locals" out there aren't even locals anymore. Go figure. 

To reinforce the point regarding the fact that these people don't care about keeping their spots or conserving the fish as a species take a look at the attendance of any fisheries board meeting (which is another thread all in itself). I would rather these imbeciles take their go pros to the meetings and broadcast them then take the go pros fishing. They are never in attendance nor do they give two ****s. They are in it for short term self gratification and the ability to say "yea that was me" when a clown car full of guys in stormer tops show up in the middle of the day to catch 2lb bluefish.  

No one who is really fishing for bass when they should be cares about your tsunami 8' 6" special rod and your VR hunk of metal. Nor do they care about the "power handle" on your fluke setup to catch postage stamp size fluke in your brand new hobie kayak. 

Edited by 8 & Bait