8 & Bait

Youtube Idiots

Rate this topic

341 posts in this topic

4 mins ago, carangua said:

Why the hatred? I find You tube fishing vids entertaining and some will add a thing or two to what you know.

They must have not reached your area yet. They have spread like Africanized honey bee's all throughout NJ and Long Island. You're epiphany is coming my friend...  

@8 & Bait

hahahaha....yes indeed there's a lot of YT content as you describe and it is harder to wade through it all.  I am totally thankful for them though because many have helped me get up to speed on modern gear.  However there comes a point where I noticed most never progress beyond the remedial content.

And YES there is a subset of creators who are pure infomercial style content designed to garner some ad revenue.  Most though genuinely want to share their love of fishing it's just they seem to focused trying to turn the content into click-bait income generators.  That gets very old and a bit disappointing.

I have a pet peeve over handling of fish by those who claim to be all about catch & release.   They then proceed to use one of those "lucky Craft/Calissa" lures and their need for 9-hooks on a 3" lure to catch bar perch here on our California Central Coast beaches.  Before they even begin to get to the release part each minnow snagged on at least 3 of those 9 hooks must be shared with the entire beach via shouting as if they caught a monster striper or 400lb floundhabit.  After the 3 min ot takes to gather the gang to oooo & ahhhh over the 9-12" perch it is time to rinse off the sand on it after being dragged over 30yds of dry sand before even picking it up, then pics taken, a video call to their family and extended families, they will try to remove the monster from those needed trawler hooks...and only then it is all about how gentle and caring they are about C&R....sigh....oh and their is the fact they need $1000 worth of rod & reel to catch these behemoths.   That last bit is me being a bit catty, it's great to see people fishing.  They just need some peer pressure to actually learn what C&R is about.  I do try and mention the idea of swapping out for one single hook in the front and one in the back and/or flattening the barbs....then I do feel guilty for being 'that guy' lecturing about the stuff....

I love the way the GoPro adds so much to make content helpful fishing wise for sure.  There does come a point of diminishing returns to my POV/...nice to read I'm not alone in viewing it that way.  Have to remind myself that most all are younger and are still learning their way through the sport...and I was once not much different from them too...

I remember one youtuber who was also a member here said he would read the forums on SOL when he was taking a dump. His attitude was the forum folks were little pee ons. 

I also do the same thing. I watch youtube fisherman videos when I am taking a dump. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, carangua said:

Why the hatred? I find You tube fishing vids entertaining and some will add a thing or two to what you know.

There are a few types of people who you'll see out on the water, some go for food, some go to get away from the wife, others go because it's new and temporarily fun...then others go because it's all they've known since early childhood. 

Then theres your Youboob morons that look ridiculous and sound worse in their self aggrandizing little productions.  These kids are all inexperienced attention addicts who post for attention the same way they post social media updates or selfies on hatebook. 

It's a mental disorder, generally associated with being a narcissist and is usually the tip of an iceberg hiding many more mental and social flaws linked to behavioral oddities and manipulatiative tactics. But I digress...

If you have to watch uneducated youtube children to "learn" then your not fishing enough and chances are you shouldn't even bother at that point. 

Furthermore, spot burning is a thing, go familiarize your self with the definition and understand that posting videos is the best way to have 50 guys you've never seen in your life show up to a spot you've fished privately for decades prior. 

Edited by DeepBlue85

1 hour ago, 8 & Bait said:

They must have not reached your area yet. They have spread like Africanized honey bee's all throughout NJ and Long Island. You're epiphany is coming my friend...  

Africanized honey bees is putting it very gently haha.  I live like 10 minutes up the road from the canal and I'll tell ya 10 or so years ago you knew every vehicle in the parking lots in the morning. Now you can't even get a parking spot; all thanks to the attention whores who need a pat on the back for catching a 20# fish. 

31 mins ago, deadxringer said:

Africanized honey bees is putting it very gently haha.  I live like 10 minutes up the road from the canal and I'll tell ya 10 or so years ago you knew every vehicle in the parking lots in the morning. Now you can't even get a parking spot; all thanks to the attention whores who need a pat on the back for catching a 20# fish. 

Nothing stays secret anymore. Social media and technology in general have definitely ruined fishing spots for many of us. I remember how much better striper fishing was from the surf before everyone had a cellphone. I remember being on the beach with just a few other guys at one time catching stripers like crazy and we had it all to ourselves. Now when someone catches a striper the cellphone comes out and they call and text everyone they know and then a chain begins and within seconds it’s as if an army of fishermen just popped out of the sand!...At least I got to enjoy some of the “good ole days.” Unfortunately they’re gone forever.

12 mins ago, Flip n Dip said:

Nothing stays secret anymore. Social media and technology in general have definitely ruined fishing spots for many of us. I remember how much better striper fishing was from the surf before everyone had a cellphone. I remember being on the beach with just a few other guys at one time catching stripers like crazy and we had it all to ourselves. Now when someone catches a striper the cellphone comes out and they call and text everyone they know and then a chain begins and within seconds it’s as if an army of fishermen just popped out of the sand!...At least I got to enjoy some of the “good ole days.” Unfortunately they’re gone forever.

That's not an excuse for anyone to show up mascarading as as some instructional guru (which they are not)  and instead, publicizing places that were actually unfinished or unknown by anyone beyond a small handful of guys who have kept it quiet and to them selves, having earned it before these video recording fools were even born.  And in this technological world, it only takes one to lack any level of respect or integrity when accidentally or graciously given info, turns tranquility into the same social garbage these people feed off and came from.

8 mins ago, Capt Buck said:

Don't watch them, problem solved

I dont and I dont know any legitimate surf fisherman who does... that dosnt change the fact that hundreds of other "fast learners" arent studying the places these videos are done, if its not spelled out by name.  In a year they'll be the "experts" in an ocean of unearned know it alls competing for likes.

Everyone walk around with a camera on, you dumb ignorant fools, stay at the city lakes, docks and public access places where you belong.

Edited by DeepBlue85

90% of those videos do nothing but prove the fact that they still have a lot left to learn.

The fish your way guy, who I know very well.....is one of the nicest and most knowledgable local fishermen and although I disagree with the premis of YouTube, he uses common sense with the places he chooses to record and more importantly. The timing of his footage posting.  

He is also a good example of the kind of person who should be sharing info, someone who's self taught in a lifetime of fishing, not some child that reads these forums and watches other videos to regurgitate in his own face bombed videos....no one cares what you look like, bra, go away.

With that said I still disagree with him posting anything.

Edited by DeepBlue85

6 mins ago, DeepBlue85 said:

instead, publicizing places that were actually unfinished or unknown by anyone beyond a small handful of guys who have kept it quiet and to them selves

How are these "idiots" "googan" "newbies" "amateurs" arriving at these "unfished" or "unknown" super secret spots?

Most of the videos it's few fish at spots that have been popular for a long time. Tackle shops don't seem to mind the fresh faces btw.