albacized

New Hatch fly reel

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

You can now catch a glimpse of the new fly reel from hatch (called the iconic) on the bears den site. It looks similar to the prior finatic series, but evidently spools are not interchangeable. They still come in mid and large arbor sizes. And the prices appear to be bumped up roughly $75 per size (finatic 5 was $550, iconic 5 is $625)...Hopefully the improvements are worth it

The improvements are likely worth it, but the added weight is not......at least for the 7+ and down.    

Trident claims the 7+ will weigh an additional 1/2 oz over the Finatic.  At 8.9oz that means close to 12oz filled.  To each their own but that seems a steep penalty to pay for more drag and durability than the fish targeted with an 8wt require.   

Was the earlier reel found inadequate for some fish?  Would it have been unable to handle a large bonefish, or mid-size permit, or a skipjack tuna?

I've caught albies on both the mid arbor 5 as well as the mid arbor 7, with neither reel being any worse for wear. I've owned my hatch 5 since the first year the gen 2 was released...and picked up the hatch 5 a year or so later