buylocal

Daiwa Saltist Westcoast

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

Has anyone fished these rods? I was looking at the 9' med-light for a light surf setup (1/2-3/4oz jigs/plastics for fluke and small stripers). I'm wondering how much it weighs and what taper is really like but also overall impressions. Listed as fast but I'm concerned It might be a little too soft with that length and listed lure weights. I'm also hoping it's pretty light (around 5-6 oz) so I can bomb it all day. Thanks 

Screen Shot 2021-06-04 at 9.11.04 PM.png

i have the 902mfs, weight 5.4oz on my scale, paired with a fuego 5000, cast .5 to .75 oz bucktails pretty good from the beach, does very nice with lc minnows and darters, and the kastmasters go very far effortlessly. replace my lexa 9ft that weighted around 5.6oz, had a bit bigger rod (15 to 50g) and i prefer the feel. a bit more parabolic and less tip action than the lexa. less fatigue on long sessions. i use 15 to 20 pound j'braid 8 on mine.

i just love the light daiwa rods. also got an silver creek (euro models i think) that do 5 to 21g but ive trown 1.25oz minnows from the beach too. solid tip, hmc carbon, weight 4.25oz for almost 8 feet of pure fun. caught 36inches strippers on that and its a thrill.

you can't go wrong in my opinion, besides, they aren't super expensive.

Great info thank you! I have a Fuego 3000 LT I would pair it with the 9' medium-light which I'm guessing weighs a couple tenths of an ounce less than the medium. And I agree with the Daiwa love, incredible rods. Basically I'm kicking tires and looking for something with length but A LOT crisper taper than a steelhead rod. Lighter, decent backbone and tip that wont give way immediately if I want to pop 1/2oz bucktails off the bottom. With quick research for light surf applications I've read some of the JDM recommendations on here (admittedly don't know much about suzuki rods) and seen Cooking & Fishing's tackle recommendations on YT. Looking to keep it under a couple hundred bucks for a rod with a speciality application especially with the way the blank tech has trickled down into the 150 price range (HVF, spiral layering etc).