Buckeye Caster

Bucktail Question

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

So they say there are no stupid questions.... Any hints on how to tell the weight of a bucktail without using a scale. I've got a whole bunch of 1/2-1 1/2 oz bucktails in my bag and they tend to get all mixed up. Any thoughts or tricks are appreciated.

When I purchase or make them I use a Sharpie and write the weight on the top of my bucktail ..  And sometimes I would scratch the weight into the top of the bucktail or lure..

I tend to figure it out by eyeballing them but I like the nail polish idea.

Although when using bigger bucktails to fish jetties/breachways they tend to get mangled up on the rocks and the color all but disappears eventually.

You will eventually become familiar with the sizes, but in reality size is really dependent on water movement.

I dont care the exact measurement, and just have a variety of sizes to ratchet up and down depending on water movement.

I do the tiny line / dot system on the bottom with a very thin sharpie.  Line is for ounce, dot is for 1/4 ounce. "|.." is oz and a half. ".." is 1/2 oz.

48 mins ago, puppet said:

You will eventually become familiar with the sizes, but in reality size is really dependent on water movement.

I dont care the exact measurement, and just have a variety of sizes to ratchet up and down depending on water movement.

This!!!  Also.....A sparsely tied 1 oz bucktail may actually sink faster than a 1.25 oz bucktail tied with lots of hair.  Even the trailer has an impact on buoyancy/action.  Its more about finding the bucktail that gets you in the zone where the fish are feeding than it is about the weight of the lead.

Put them in your slots in save order. I start with smaller to the right, so say one ounce , then up and to the left from there. Makes moving up or down a size easy and you can do it in the dark.

There’s not much of a difference between 3/4 and 1 ounce and 1.5 to 2 visually. 
Other than that I throw what I have until it’s working proper.

Sometimes I don’t have the correct weight for the stage of tide but that’s OK. I will try something else, swimmer, popper etc.

I don’t over think it, use what I have, buy what I think I might need or lost.