ecks

Sun protection gloves

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

OK this will date me a little... I bought a pair of Simms sun gloves about 20 years ago and back then they cost me $25.  I only really use them when I am down in Florida flyfishing but they have gotten quite a beating and they are still together, and not frayed... although they are pretty stained.. some fish blood, some of my blood...

I use sun gloves and a face sleeve during the summer because I've (literally) been burned more than I care to mention.

One key is to get light colored coverings (even hat) so that you are baking in the sun.

They take getting used to, but very soon you begin to feel naked without these coverings.

That is until your next sunburn...

I like the Simms. I use them for paddle boarding and kayaking and they protect my deck job hands. They wash well.

Hopefully Glacier Gloves will continue their Father's Day sale again this year. 

I bought their half finger sun gloves 3 yrs, ago. They fit well, good half finger length, breathable soft fabric, non fraying stitching at the ends of the half fingers (usually a problem with other mfrs.) and nice color and fit. Check out their website - Father's Day is coming. These are good fishing gloves.

Many years ago when my mother was alive and living on the east cast of FL I visited her and did some fishing w/ a friend of hers in his boat. My hands got so sunburned they swelled and throbbed in pain.

I'll never forget that. Interesting that it's never happened to me up here. Must be an angel of the sun thing. 

JD

@Eck

Super timely topic for me.  Unfortunately I've had to deal with a bit of melanoma the past year...i love my sunshine.  My Doc(s) have all been on my butt when informed i AM, not might, start back to fishing. 

The agreement was head to toe UV blocking clothes plus like 9000000 SPF UV block put in under the clothes....as if it will really help.  Hehehe, hey gotta laugh, right? 

Gloves were an area i was nit sure about.  So I'm thankful for your questions to start a discussion about what works for us fisherfolk.  :D

Thanks for the replies. I ordered these from Amazon. They were about 7 bucks cheaper than Glacier Glove website. If I like them and GG has a Father’s Day sale like was mentioned above maybe I’ll get a backup pair. I chose these due to the good reviews here and on amazon and because I think the full reinforced palm looks like it will hold up better than the small patches on the palms. When I fish the pier in OBX all day everyday for 2 weeks I wear a Tilley  hat long sleeve shirt and long pants. Quite different than the locals with tank tops, shorts and flip flops. Wearing the gloves with eliminate having to keep reapplying sun block to the backs of my hands which amazing get a lot more sun than you would think. Thx again. 

C5A1CCA2-462F-4E0A-9530-AD2FC2C46017.jpeg

On 6/4/2021 at 4:21 PM, flysully said:

Hopefully Glacier Gloves will continue their Father's Day sale again this year. 

I bought their half finger sun gloves 3 yrs, ago. They fit well, good half finger length, breathable soft fabric, non fraying stitching at the ends of the half fingers (usually a problem with other mfrs.) and nice color and fit. Check out their website - Father's Day is coming. These are good fishing gloves.

Thanks for the tip. Glacier Gloves is having their Father’s Day sale now. All items on sale and free shipping.