Mummichog

Reverse "Whine" in Manual Transmissions

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

So, when you're driving in reverse in a stick shift car, it makes a whining noise.  I've read that this is due to reverse having different gears (not helical) and not synched.  However, this doesn't seem to exist in rear wheel drive cars, only front.  Admittedly, I don't have a huge sample size.  What's the deal?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, hwsmike said:

There are spur gears used to reverse your vehicle....unlike helical :read:

Why does the whine not present in a rear wheel drive?  My Mustang does not have this sound.  I don't think my old pick-up had it either.  I was starting to think it was just front drive cars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 mins ago, Mummichog said:

Why does the whine not present in a rear wheel drive?  My Mustang does not have this sound.  I don't think my old pick-up had it either.  I was starting to think it was just front drive cars.

I’ve always heard it in the manuals I’ve had, And they were rear drive. What year stang?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

8 mins ago, jmlandru said:

Maybe rear wheel drive cars make the noise but it’s farther away from the passenger compartment. 

Could it be any closer to the interior of the cabin? 
the trans hump that is

Edited by hwsmike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 mins ago, hwsmike said:

I’ve always heard it in the manuals I’ve had, And they were rear drive. What year stang?

2011.  Coyote V8 and 6 speed manual.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 mins ago, hwsmike said:

Could it be any closer to the interior of the cabin? 
the trans hump that is

What trans you hump is not the question. 
 

do you drive from the back seat?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 mins ago, jmlandru said:

What trans you hump is not the question. 
 

do you drive from the back seat?

Lay off the goofballs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mummichog said:

2011.  Coyote V8 and 6 speed manual.

< googled....

should have an MT82, and after looking at the exploded view...ALL of the gears are helical! :howdy:
note to self...never say trans here...some get their chubbies thinking of the possibilities.... :dismay: goofballs....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 mins ago, hwsmike said:

< googled....

should have an MT82, and after looking at the exploded view...ALL of the gears are helical! :howdy:
note to self...never say trans here...some get their chubbies thinking of the possibilities.... :dismay: goofballs....

Ah, so it’s the helical vs spur gears all the way.  Thanks for taking the time to investigate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's even silly kits that people put onto cars, to replace timing chains with (straight cut) gears to sound like they have a supercharger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 mins ago, Mummichog said:

Ah, so it’s the helical vs spur gears all the way.  Thanks for taking the time to investigate.

:howdy: 

I was curious mahself...

I figured technology had to step up, and fix it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.