Anyone go out on party/head boats frequently?

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, delaware surfman said:

Great report, thanks for the heads up. 
I was worried about things like that. 
I know a mate that worked the last 2-3 years and I don’t see him on the boat any longer either. 
Glad to see you got a 24. 

So Aaron got a new job as a park ranger and Chris is back in school. They were great mates. 

2 hours ago, hot tuna said:

Thelma dale sucks now that mark & ricky are gone...they are gonna turn into a non fish producing touron boat this summer ! stay clear if u don't want a HACK fishing trip....

You know what happened? Rumor has it that hd didn't pay them for a bit. Guess hd got done financial issue

On 6/6/2021 at 11:30 PM, dannpakk said:

Came back from Thelma Dale (fisherman wharf in Lewes). Caught a nice 24 inch flounder, 2x 17inch seabass, ribbon fish, and 6x nice sized cods. Jigged my ass off until the last cast using a high low with tsunami teasers and 6" gulp grubs. I also saw the Judy 5 briefly which launches from IRI. They had a nice full boat and disappeared to a new site for a couple hours. Themla dale on the other hand seems to be losing alot of regulars from the past 2-3 years. 

So what is a good rod - reel combo for jigging off the head boats for Flounder, Sea Bass, and Tog?

15 hours ago, dannpakk said:

I use a Shimano tranx with a Shimano trevala s jigging

Thanks, I should have been more specific. What's recommended for length and weight range for trips targeting Flounder, Sea Bass, Togs? I haven't done that since teenage years, and we just used what was available onboard. Back then they would start the season targeting Mackerel out of OC, and I believe that fishery is pretty much non-existent anymore.

1 hour ago, JAL said:

Thanks, I should have been more specific. What's recommended for length and weight range for trips targeting Flounder, Sea Bass, Togs? I haven't done that since teenage years, and we just used what was available onboard. Back then they would start the season targeting Mackerel out of OC, and I believe that fishery is pretty much non-existent anymore.

Mackerel havent been in the area for a while form my understanding. Spanish mackerel do show up during the hot summer months.

I use 2x 5'6'' Shimano trevala with one extra heavy and another medium heavy. I will check the current and wind to determine which one to take. As for weight, I like to to as light as possible with the weight but it really depends on how picky the fish are and if the boat is drifiting/anchored. Somedays fish will like the bait sitting and not moving at all. Other days they want the bait jigged. I will always use heavier weight if drifting to not tangle or fish with the drift if possible (most people shouldn't mind fishing next to each other if both parties understand a tangle is not worth it. Limiting fishing time is not desirable). 

I only use gulp for flounder/seabass fishing. It generally produces the biggest seabass and flounder. 

Tog fishing, I always go medium heavy to "feel" the bottom better as tog are pickier in general. You'll have to have a strong mental as the colder months historically have the worst weather and wave condition. In addition to the brutally cold days, trips are extremely limited as captains don't want to deal with the elements.

• 1 month later...
On 6/6/2021 at 11:30 PM, dannpakk said:

Came back from Thelma Dale (fisherman wharf in Lewes). Caught a nice 24 inch flounder, 2x 17inch seabass, ribbon fish, and 6x nice sized cods. Jigged my ass off until the last cast using a high low with tsunami teasers and 6" gulp grubs. I also saw the Judy 5 briefly which launches from IRI. They had a nice full boat and disappeared to a new site for a couple hours. Themla dale on the other hand seems to be losing alot of regulars from the past 2-3 years. 

New captain seems more punch in and out type of guy. Left dock at 730 when it's should leave at 7. Arrived to the site at 10. Mate and captain said we were going towards cape may, when we ended up going 30 miles off Rehoboth (the usual place). First couple drops were on fire. Captain didn't like to anchor or re-drift. Stayed in the same area the whole time. There were some people that limited out on seabass, but flounder fishing didn't seem promising with the new captain. Don't know if he had a sense of where the ledges were, but fishing would pick up only when we passed the ledges. He got triggered when people asked him redrift or if captain mark was mentioned (his archnemsis?). He says he has 20 years of experience as a captain and he's learning the new process, but I call bull as I don't see the effort to get people on the fish actively. Mates didn't have anything ready when we got to the fishing site. Bait not cut......nets not on each side......the basics......

TLDR: don't think it's worth unless it's your only option. I have a few more trips I prepurchased so I'll keep y'all posted in a month or so. 

Was the Capt .......Rick or Bobby ?

Flotation is Grooovey !!

1 hour ago, dannpakk said:

Think it was Capt Rick. Isn't Capt bobby on the Judy 5? 

Rick is the guy who lives upstairs at the boat dock . Bobby is Bobby Knowles he has worked for the Parsons on and off over the years . If it was Rick he's lying about the 20 years experience driving boats . The Capt Bob is the full day boat at Hook'em and Cook'em with the Judy V half day boat and Roger was the Capt .on the Capt Bob .

It's a shame that they aren't running regularly seems like they won't go unless there's enough reservations and they will rail the boat if they get a chance . Mark was a great Capt .

Flotation is Grooovey !!

47 mins ago, StriperReleaser said:

Rick is the guy who lives upstairs at the boat dock . Bobby is Bobby Knowles he has worked for the Parsons on and off over the years . If it was Rick he's lying about the 20 years experience driving boats . The Capt Bob is the full day boat at Hook'em and Cook'em with the Judy V half day boat and Roger was the Capt .on the Capt Bob .

It's a shame that they aren't running regularly seems like they won't go unless there's enough reservations and they will rail the boat if they get a chance . Mark was a great Capt .

Yeah it's probably Rick. He has a mustache and kept talking like he was full of it. They seem like they've been doing better recently. 

Mark is on the savannah Lynn now but they asking for 180 which is quite steep compared to the grizzly.

On 6/10/2021 at 9:08 AM, JAL said:

So what is a good rod - reel combo for jigging off the head boats for Flounder, Sea Bass, and Tog?

7’6 to 8’ rod

the mate on the ocean princess got a UC for fluke/ Seabass from me last year.

we use shorter rods on my boat out of oc.

this reel on longer rod.

also have seigler and IRT spin for lighter jigs.

fishing the next 5 days.

0B1B672A-B234-465B-833D-DA91EAB2DA17.jpeg

Tri-state-Custom Rodbuilders... NERBS

37 mins ago, paul708 said:

7’6 to 8’ rod

the mate on the ocean princess got a UC for fluke/ Seabass from me last year.

we use shorter rods on my boat out of oc.

this reel on longer rod.

also have seigler and IRT spin for lighter jigs.

fishing the next 5 days.

0B1B672A-B234-465B-833D-DA91EAB2DA17.jpeg

Nice. Good luck. Where you going out from? Once you tell everyone you got a boat, everyone's gonna try to be your friend :)