dannpakk

Anyone go out on party/head boats frequently?

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Trying to see if there are anyone on the forums that go out of party/head boats in the DelMarVa area. Would be cool if some of the SOL members could kick it in a small meet n greet.

2 hours ago, Stryper Snyper said:

I don't go regular but always up for some boat drinking!    

And happy birthday.

Thank you! I was looking to go this Sunday or next weekend if weather holds. We go out from lewes or ocean city. 

I stopped doing the partyboats, the shakedown at the end for tips was getting a bit excessive, even on horrible trips.

12 hours ago, spinr0k said:

I stopped doing the partyboats, the shakedown at the end for tips was getting a bit excessive, even on horrible trips.

Yeah ..Ridiculous here...when I lived in NY ..you tipped if you felt you got good service . PERIOD...not walking around with a container and hitting every person on the boat with all the mates in tow...

13 hours ago, spinr0k said:

I can see that perspective. Which one's did you go on?

44 mins ago, hot tuna said:

Yeah ..Ridiculous here...when I lived in NY ..you tipped if you felt you got good service . PERIOD...not walking around with a container and hitting every person on the boat with all the mates in tow...

I used to go out from Thelma Dale (fisherman's wharf) in Lewes with captain mark. He was great and consistently got everyone on the fish. Mates were tipped well so it was always a win win. But I agree that it should be if you got good service. Sadly he switched over to a charter boat so it is tough to find 6-7 people to charter out with. 

7 hours ago, dannpakk said:

I used to go out from Thelma Dale (fisherman's wharf) in Lewes with captain mark. He was great and consistently got everyone on the fish. Mates were tipped well so it was always a win win. But I agree that it should be if you got good service. Sadly he switched over to a charter boat so it is tough to find 6-7 people to charter out with. 

It will be interesting to see if the boat keeps up with the catch ration Capt. Mark had. 
Do you know what boat Capt Mark is now chartering, seems mums the word, thanks.

A good boat out of OC is the Angler, and cheaper than going out of Lewes. 

2 hours ago, delaware surfman said:

It will be interesting to see if the boat keeps up with the catch ration Capt. Mark had. 
Do you know what boat Capt Mark is now chartering, seems mums the word, thanks.

A good boat out of OC is the Angler, and cheaper than going out of Lewes. 

I called captain mark and he charters the syvannah lynn out of Lewes. He also told me he does miss ocean city on a per diem basis. I'm checking out Thelma Dale tomorrow and will report back. 

I enjoy anglers out of ocean city but don't think it's worth it 

3 hours ago, dannpakk said:

I called captain mark and he charters the syvannah lynn out of Lewes. He also told me he does miss ocean city on a per diem basis. I'm checking out Thelma Dale tomorrow and will report back. 

I enjoy anglers out of ocean city but don't think it's worth it 

What’s not worth it about the Angler in OC? 

3 hours ago, delaware surfman said:

What’s not worth it about the Angler in OC? 

It's just the drive for me. Price point and the work they put in is fantastic. 

9 hours ago, Beachman22 said:

Buddy was out on head boat yesterday out of IR and got his limit of sea bass.

Came back from Thelma Dale (fisherman wharf in Lewes). Caught a nice 24 inch flounder, 2x 17inch seabass, ribbon fish, and 6x nice sized cods. Jigged my ass off until the last cast using a high low with tsunami teasers and 6" gulp grubs. I also saw the Judy 5 briefly which launches from IRI. They had a nice full boat and disappeared to a new site for a couple hours. Themla dale on the other hand seems to be losing alot of regulars from the past 2-3 years. 

New captain seems more punch in and out type of guy. Left dock at 730 when it's should leave at 7. Arrived to the site at 10. Mate and captain said we were going towards cape may, when we ended up going 30 miles off Rehoboth (the usual place). First couple drops were on fire. Captain didn't like to anchor or re-drift. Stayed in the same area the whole time. There were some people that limited out on seabass, but flounder fishing didn't seem promising with the new captain. Don't know if he had a sense of where the ledges were, but fishing would pick up only when we passed the ledges. He got triggered when people asked him redrift or if captain mark was mentioned (his archnemsis?). He says he has 20 years of experience as a captain and he's learning the new process, but I call bull as I don't see the effort to get people on the fish actively. Mates didn't have anything ready when we got to the fishing site. Bait not cut......nets not on each side......the basics......

TLDR: don't think it's worth unless it's your only option. I have a few more trips I prepurchased so I'll keep y'all posted in a month or so. 

15 hours ago, dannpakk said:

Came back from Thelma Dale (fisherman wharf in Lewes). Caught a nice 24 inch flounder, 2x 17inch seabass, ribbon fish, and 6x nice sized cods. Jigged my ass off until the last cast using a high low with tsunami teasers and 6" gulp grubs. I also saw the Judy 5 briefly which launches from IRI. They had a nice full boat and disappeared to a new site for a couple hours. Themla dale on the other hand seems to be losing alot of regulars from the past 2-3 years. 

New captain seems more punch in and out type of guy. Left dock at 730 when it's should leave at 7. Arrived to the site at 10. Mate and captain said we were going towards cape may, when we ended up going 30 miles off Rehoboth (the usual place). First couple drops were on fire. Captain didn't like to anchor or re-drift. Stayed in the same area the whole time. There were some people that limited out on seabass, but flounder fishing didn't seem promising with the new captain. Don't know if he had a sense of where the ledges were, but fishing would pick up only when we passed the ledges. He got triggered when people asked him redrift or if captain mark was mentioned (his archnemsis?). He says he has 20 years of experience as a captain and he's learning the new process, but I call bull as I don't see the effort to get people on the fish actively. Mates didn't have anything ready when we got to the fishing site. Bait not cut......nets not on each side......the basics......

TLDR: don't think it's worth unless it's your only option. I have a few more trips I prepurchased so I'll keep y'all posted in a month or so. 

Great report, thanks for the heads up. 
I was worried about things like that. 
I know a mate that worked the last 2-3 years and I don’t see him on the boat any longer either. 
Glad to see you got a 24.