z-man

MA Weakfish?

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

I’ve been seeing online that there are tons of weakfish this year in Long Island and also have been some in RI. Has anyone got into any in MA yet?

Z man,

I don't know why, but weakfish rarely make it into our waters.  In my life I've  only caught a couple in our local waters.

However once, I believe  1975, a few miles off Cuttyhunk, my buddy and I saw an acre of birds working  breaking fish.  Believing they were bass, we dropped umbrella rigs. We began hooking up immediately,  doubles and  triples.  They were all 4-6lb weak fish.  My buddy said they had market value,  so unfortunately we filled my large Igloo cooler with them.  Readers Digest version was, they had no value. We offered them to everyone.  In the end we gave them all to a lobsterman.

1 hour ago, z-man said:

I’ve been seeing online that there are tons of weakfish this year in Long Island and also have been some in RI. Has anyone got into any in MA yet?

I caught my first ever by accident targeting schoolies in a back bay late October 2020. Lots of schoolies and one random weaky. I was shocked.

Narragansett Bay was once noted for weakfishing, they competed with bluefish for pogies. They used to sell these trolling rigs with beads and spinners to use with sandworms for weakfish.

I would love to target and catch one. I would probably be just as happy to catch one as bycatch. 

9 hours ago, foxfai said:

Never caught them in MA, but in RI caught few (years ago).

Ditto. Their heyday in Mass, at least in recent memory, was the 70s and 80s, especially in the islands. Sadly, you could now accurately say they are rare here. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I was fishing for stripers with my kids from a dock in Vineyard Haven in the summer of 2020 when a 3-pound weakfish hit my Savage sand eel. We snappped a couple of pics and tossed him back, then proceeded to catch two more of the same size. I didn’t realize how rare they were untio we showed them to a few fishing buddies on the Island who said they hadn’t caught one in 20 years. Dumb luck!

085.JPG

Edited by OakBluffsAngler
Added picture