Auce

Need serious help please.

68 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

2001 4Runner, dropped it off at Toyota to get some work done. Long story short, mechanic told me I have frame rot. How bad, I don't know yet. I'm going to pick it up today, take pics and bring it home. Is it ever worth fixing? Or Am I looking at just getting rid of it?

Edited by Auce

I don't what years were recalled by Toyota,but my son had an old one that was recalled some years ago and repaired as a part of the settlement in Canada.  Worth trying to look up the issue.  I believe it was 3 or 4 thousand to repair,paid for by Toyota.  Good luck.Ask a dealer about the issue.

Around '08 Toyota bought back my Tacoma after failing inspection for excessive frame rust

They paid well over KBB value regardless of condition for mine but that was very early on.

I hated to lose the truck but the settlement I got was more than fair and they offered a very large 'incentive' to purchase another toyota truck or a similar incentive deal for any other toyota vehicle

Later 'recalls' went onto other year and models and repairs/ replacements were done

My buddy had his fail, they gave him a loaner, replaced the frame, gave him an extended warranty

I think the 4 runners were part of class action settlement, check the toyota truck sites for more info

Good Luck

Edited by kevinj65
added info

I checked for a recall and my VIN does not show a recall for my truck. Just picked up the truck. Here's what I know so far. It wasn't on the lift so I could not get any p[pictures. The frame rot is only in one area. Rear passenger side frame, he pointed above the wheel well. He said the rest of the frame was rot free. They don't have their own welder so I asked him to give me a 'rough' idea of what he thought a weld job would be. He said maybe 600$ (I was thinking at least a grand or 2). He's going to email me a list of what needs to be done on the truck, from there I'll see what I can maybe do on my own or with some help and what needs to be done at the shop before I go with the weld route. If I decide to fix it and get the weld done. Do I just google any welder? Is there a specific welder who works primarily on cars and trucks? I'm in the central NJ area/Princeton/Trenton/Hamilton if anyone knows of one or anyone here who actually does the work. Seems like a better option than trashing an otherwise good truck.

Edited by Auce

2 hours ago, Auce said:

I checked for a recall and my VIN does not show a recall for my truck. Just picked up the truck. Here's what I know so far. It wasn't on the lift so I could not get any p[pictures. The frame rot is only in one area. Rear passenger side frame, he pointed above the wheel well. He said the rest of the frame was rot free. They don't have their own welder so I asked him to give me a 'rough' idea of what he thought a weld job would be. He said maybe 600$ (I was thinking at least a grand or 2). He's going to email me a list of what needs to be done on the truck, from there I'll see what I can maybe do on my own or with some help and what needs to be done at the shop before I go with the weld route. If I decide to fix it and get the weld done. Do I just google any welder? Is there a specific welder who works primarily on cars and trucks? I'm in the central NJ area/Princeton/Trenton/Hamilton if anyone knows of one or anyone here who actually does the work. Seems like a better option than trashing an otherwise good truck.

Your dealer/stealer doesn't have a welder?  You need to get the heck out of there.

12 mins ago, Stryper Snyper said:

Your dealer/stealer doesn't have a welder?  You need to get the heck out of there.

That was my thoughts exactly.

1 hour ago, Auce said:

That was my thoughts exactly.

It’s a 20 year old truck for Christ’s sake. 

time for a new one. 

If you decide to keep it. Make sure the brake lines are fully checked specially on joints. If the frame rot so will the brake lines, & they are not as thick as the frame. I have an 04 rusted so badly and will be retired soon. The lawsuit will probably not going anywhere. Patch it and wait for this over priced cars to settle down.

1 hour ago, Drew C. said:

It’s a 20 year old truck for Christ’s sake. 

time for a new one. 

33 mins ago, surffish said:

Patch it and wait for this over priced cars to settle down.

This is why I don't want to Pony up for a new one right now. 

There is no frame replacement program for 4Runners like there is for Tacomas. I don’t know why as they rust just as much. 
See if you can find a local welder to weld some steel plate over the bad spots assuming there’s still some decent steel left to weld too. 

SafeTCap makes replacement frame rails for our Toyotas & other makes. 

To determine if it's worth fixing, depends how much $$$ you want to drop into the vehicle (could be up to a few grand for the parts & competent welder).

Pics of the rot will definitely help.

3rd-Gen-4runner-wall-chart-296x197.jpg

Edited by DEM Parking Lot

I would only go  with a welder who primarily works on cars and truck,no fly by nite guys for me.  Safety is pretty important.

20 hours ago, z-man said:

There is no frame replacement program for 4Runners like there is for Tacomas. I don’t know why as they rust just as much. 
See if you can find a local welder to weld some steel plate over the bad spots assuming there’s still some decent steel left to weld too. 

I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the numbers of particular vehicles sold. They sell a lot more Tacomas than 4Runners, so there is a higher percentage of failures based on sales.