stuffguy612

Plug Bag Questions

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Check out Dark Star Surfcasting.  Their bags are made from triple layer sailcloth with marine and military grade components.  They use a Molle system to make the bags modular, so you are not stuck with a off the shelf bag.  

You've already gotten some good responses, but there are really 3 things you need to consider; size, price, and application. 

Size is the easiest...If you're going to be rock hopping and want to stay on the lighter side, a 3 tube bag will be perfect. It'll hold at least a dozen plugs, which is plenty for a single outing. Depending on the brand, you can get accessory add ons, like a pork rind pouch or eel pouch, but a 3 tube is the size you want. 

Price - This totally depends on your budget and how hard you're going to fish. If you can spend whatever you want, skip the lower and mid tier stuff, and get a well made, purpose built bag. Also, if you're going to fish hard, better quality is imperative. You can spend $50 or you can spend $500. You get what you pay for. 

Application - If you're never going to leave the rocks, you don't need a custom bag. Stick with a mid range bag and you'll be happy. If you're going to swim, or even submerge the bag from time to time, you gotta spend the dough to get a custom, or at least high-end consumer bag that will drain properly and keep all your stuff safe.

For reference, here are some VERY general notes on options;

Cheap crap from the box store - Avoid. 

Consumer grade bags that will likely be fine if you're going to use it a dozen times a year, won't submerge it, and don't want to break the bank (in order from cheapest to best) - Shimano, Supreme, Aquaskinz

High-end consumer grade - Gear-Up, ODM, Dark Star - These are all excellent bags that will serve you well for most applications. They're not the best, or the most expensive, but they're propose built and good quality. 

Custom - Flatlander and 4171 - These are the cream of the crop...Will last many years, built to the highest specs, super functional, and mandatory if you're going to swim a lot and need something you can completely trust (they actually add extra stainless grommets in the bottom so it'll drain faster)...but expensive. Flatlander has a VERY long waiting list, and while not 100% custom, there are tons of options and add-ons. I use a Flatlander and it's pretty much perfect. 4171 is extremely similar, but will do just about anything you can imagine. Not as time tested as Flatlander, but from what I've seen, quality is just as good.

Final thing to consider...surf belt...If you're never gonna get wet, a shoulder strap is ok, albeit not the most comfortable, but don't underestimate the value of a good quality belt. There are lots of cheap ones that will give you trouble. I highly recommend going with one that's purpose built, rigid (vs flimsy), and has a bombproof buckle. It'll carry the weight of the bag better, it'll be more comfortable to wear, and it'll last a lot longer. 

I'm not sure how far up the Maine coast you are, or if you ever come down to MA, but Surfland on Plum Island has some cool Gear-Up bags for sale right now, and Tomo's in Salem, MA also sells a range of decent bags. 

Posted (edited)

Sailcloth, sailcloth, sailcloth. I use gear up, but if it’s sailcloth and from a trusted company you’re good to go. 

Edited by C.Robin

5 hours ago, Mojua said:

You've already gotten some good responses, but there are really 3 things you need to consider; size, price, and application. 

Thanks for the response, lots of great info! I think that I'm gonna go with a three tube gear up bag so that I won't have to worry about the durability for a long time. 

On 6/3/2021 at 0:32 PM, RedGreen said:

If sail cloth isn't within reach then save until it is. There is no reason to own anything other than a sail cloth bag. Spend 2-3x as much up front, spend 20% what you will long term.

Anything non-sail cloth will probably fail in very short order unless you just don't fish hard or much. My flatlander has worn very well over the last year. A Shimano bag failed in a week, and even the ODM surfwave started showing wear after a few months. 

Put in the order for a flatlander or buy a gear up and be basically done with it for the next 10-15 years of hard fishing. There's no reason not to. If I didn't have my current bag and I was doing what you are then I'd get a 2tube gear up. Cheap and will last forever.

yeah better off using plano boxes. I have a 3 tube gear up bag. Used to do the plano boxes in a backpack. Depending on what I'm doing I'll put the gear up bag in a backpack as well.

Hey guys if your doing a mix of walking beaches and jetty fishing would it be a good idea to get a bag built that has a plier holder and a d ring for boga grips built in. When I'm fishing jetty's I generally try to avoid wearing waders and using a surf belt, and that makes it a pain in the ass to carry around a boga and pliers. Out of curiosity when you go fish of jettys what do you like to wear ?