stuffguy612

Plug Bag Questions

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Hello SO,

I am a relatively new surfcaster and would like to invest in a plug bag this season. I am unsure about what should buy in terms of size and brand. I want something that will not be too big and bulky, and ideally will last a long time. I fish in Maine off the rocks most of the time, so I don’t want to be lugging around something big if possible. In terms of the lure that I like to use, I mostly throw pencils, SPs, and bucktails, but hope to add more types of lures as I get going. I hope that this is enough information about what I’m looking for. Thanks in advance! 

4171 Gear 3 tube is a perfect all round bag. I have 4 different brands (VS old and new, aqua skin hunter elite, commando, mak, gear up) over the years and this is definitely the best so far. probably wont be the cheapest you see but still be the best value for your money.

1 hour ago, SurffisherMike said:

4171 Gear 3 tube is a perfect all round bag. I have 4 different brands (VS old and new, aqua skin hunter elite, commando, mak, gear up) over the years and this is definitely the best so far. probably wont be the cheapest you see but still be the best value for your money.

Seen the bags on FB, some pretty impressive stuff. Like his three tube tall bag and it appears he will make you what ever you want. He dose not have his web page up and running yet; what did he charge you for your three tube?

I'm a relative newbie weekend warrior surfcaster. I have and old BW Sports bag 9 - 7" tubes, tin pouches, outer front pocket fits a leader wallet and teaser wallet, side plier pocket and a pork rind pocket. The only thing I don't like about it is that there isn't a lot of velcro to keep the top flap closed. I've been drooling over the sail cloth bags  but they're out of my league right now. The Supreme looks like a pretty solid bag with some nicely thought out features. I've been researching the 10 tube as I like to carry a ton of gear. I've been throwing more and more lures on each outing trying to get more confident. It looks like a really nice bag for the money. Only thing I've been hearing is that the strap is short. I've not seen one in person yet. 

IMG_2266.jpg

IMG_2267.jpg

Following in interest. Every time I look at a plug bag, I think about how it might be cool having one and not carrying around so much stuff on my back. And then I flip over the tag and see the price which is usually anywhere from $100 to $250 for an itsy-bitsy bag and I just don’t get it. But they’re obviously selling well! 

Go with the large Supreme bag--I have one I like it-- just don't over load- I know that is very hard to do--to me in surf bags--bigger is better--just my opinion--rreelman

If sail cloth isn't within reach then save until it is. There is no reason to own anything other than a sail cloth bag. Spend 2-3x as much up front, spend 20% what you will long term.

Anything non-sail cloth will probably fail in very short order unless you just don't fish hard or much. My flatlander has worn very well over the last year. A Shimano bag failed in a week, and even the ODM surfwave started showing wear after a few months. 

Put in the order for a flatlander or buy a gear up and be basically done with it for the next 10-15 years of hard fishing. There's no reason not to. If I didn't have my current bag and I was doing what you are then I'd get a 2tube gear up. Cheap and will last forever.

When we all discuss plug bags, few people ever mention the layout of the bag itself. I realize a high end custom bag can be made to your own specs but for the money it’s still hard to beat the medium aquaskinz bag for sub $130. It’s decently made and it has a practical and useful layout. They do make a higher grade version of this bag called the elite cobra. It’s twice the price and I consider it worth the money if you want to spend the extra. For most of us the standard medium bag is fine and with reasonable care it should last a very long time.

5 hours ago, rreelman said:

Go with the large Supreme bag--I have one I like it-- just don't over load- I know that is very hard to do--to me in surf bags--bigger is better--just my opinion--rreelman

Thanks for the input. Have you found the large to ever be too heavy or bulky?

7 hours ago, Lou T said:

Seen the bags on FB, some pretty impressive stuff. Like his three tube tall bag and it appears he will make you what ever you want. He dose not have his web page up and running yet; what did he charge you for your three tube?

My bag was $250. Its a 3 tube bag with bucktail loops inside and an internal leader wallet or soft bait pouch in top flap. It is an excellent bag and will no doubt last the rest of my life, its basically his standard 3 tube bag. But you can petty much get whatever you want from him, since he makes many custom bags to order. I grab this because it was already made and what I was looking for but have already been in discussions with him for custom work.

There’s a lot of options today in terms of quality builders using sail cloth. I still like my Gear Up bags after years of use tho. Although one these days I may place an order for a custom Flatlander, one of these days. 

Only when I put too many tins and Ava's in the bag-I haven't been wearing a belt -I have my knife on the strap of the bag and I have 2 pair of pliers in the bag --I man up and deal with the weight--rreelman

i would go with the 5 tube bag from surf supreme its well priced and mine has been great for the past 3 seasons 

While I have my issues with my medium Shimano Blue Wave bag (breaking down at straps and plastic coating on interior), you can get the redesigned bag for around $50 and it has some redesigns that I think will make it more user friendly (split exterior pocket and round tubes). I like the tin, bucktail and pork rind pouches and can carry enough plugs while keeping me from bringing everything. Waiting on a Flatlander that I am looking forward to arriving before Jamie goes fishing. Once I get my hands on that, I will probably keep the Shimano bag in use for a specific type of fishing until it fully breaks down.