Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Hypothetically, if one wanted to learn how to get started on building their own lures and plugs, how would they get the stuff and make the lures?

I've got a metal lathe that should also work for wood - that seems to be the important thing.

Basically just wondering where to begin - I want to keep it small at first, upscale if I like it.

Any books/videos/other informational outlets you would recommend?

Thanks!

Patrick

There’s a ton of info on here if you search this forum. YouTube is another resource I use quite a bit

Start turning experimental plugs now. Even if they aren't great shapes, you'll need practice drilling holes, wiring, sealing, painting, top coating, weighting, etc. 

Every single aspect of plug building is discussed ad naseam here, YT, and other forums. One could understand every word said/read in a video/message board, but not understand how/why/if it applies to their own building until you've made a bunch. 

The most helpful thing I've done in my journey is documentation (write it, sketch it, photos) to isolate and not repeat mistakes (as much)

Just my opinion, FWIW

2 hours ago, Livefreeordie said:

Start turning experimental plugs now. Even if they aren't great shapes, you'll need practice drilling holes, wiring, sealing, painting, top coating, weighting, etc. 

Every single aspect of plug building is discussed ad naseam here, YT, and other forums. One could understand every word said/read in a video/message board, but not understand how/why/if it applies to their own building until you've made a bunch. 

The most helpful thing I've done in my journey is documentation (write it, sketch it, photos) to isolate and not repeat mistakes (as much)

Just my opinion, FWIW

Thanks for the advice...

I'll start looking for some basic beginner posts, starting from the very beginning. I'll mess around turning wood, hopefully by winter I'll get it together. 

Will definitely document my learning process along the way, for myself and for prosperity. 

Thanks again,

Patrick

I would start with a classic lure you use or like and use it as a reference. You can get all the info here on what wood to use, how to add weights, thru wiring, ect. This way you should end up with a useable plug from the beginning. As you learn the process and dynamics involved you can experiment with your own variations and creations. Also, not sure I'd recommend using a metal lathe for this job. A wood lathe is very simple relative to a metal lathe. The amount of dust and wood chips that are created is remarkable. The wood/dust would get into and stick to everything. It would probably ruin it in short order. The tools/tool post are also different as well. Lastly there are several online stores selling lure building supplies where you can get wire, eyes, lips, grommets, ect. Have fun and be safe.

Like rrocco said, start simple. Maybe a pencil popper, I know that was the first one I made and then caught on. That alone is enough to get you hooked.

Also, see who's in your area. If you're lucky, someone might show you the ropes. A few in person sessions are worth their weight in gold.

Can't comment much on the metal lathe though. I know they are different, but yeah you might end up making a really oily mess.

Posted (edited) · Report post

You're definitely  in the right place ! All the above advice is great. Get in there and start making sawdust. Learn by doing and like Bob Dylan said. ' there's no success like failure' so don't be afraid to make a few duds along the way !!! This is a great forum. I've asked what I thought were a ton of 'stupid' questions, only to get back friendly and very informative answers. There's no ' picking on the new guy '  syndrome I see on a lot of other forums. I would definitely pick up a small wood lathe...they're pretty cheap now. My el-cheapo phantasmo Harbour Freight one's been turning for a long time ( stuff other than fishing plugs ) and shows no sign of slowing down. I'm hesitant to drop names because there are a TON of great builders / teachers here, but I will say keep a keen ear open and pay close attention to Steel Pulse , Capesams, and t_man7 when you see there names in the threads you are about to go browsing. They are encyclopedias on plugs and plug building and share information freely. I ALWAYS learn something when they post. Again, that's just three, this forum is chock full of HUGELY talented builders to help ! Just have fun and enjoy the process  !!

Jim

Edited by Mandoborg

1 hour ago, Mandoborg said:

You're definitely  in the right place ! All the above advice is great. Get in there and start making sawdust. Learn by doing and like Bob Dylan said. ' there's no success like failure' so don't be afraid to make a few duds along the way !!! This is a great forum. I've asked what I thought were a ton of 'stupid' questions, only to get back friendly and very informative answers. There's no ' picking on the new guy '  syndrome I see on a lot of other forums. I would definitely pick up a small wood lathe...they're pretty cheap now. My el-cheapo phantasmo Harbour Freight one's been turning for a long time ( stuff other than fishing plugs ) and shows no sign of slowing down. I'm hesitant to drop names because there are a TON of great builders / teachers here, but I will say keep a keen ear open and pay close attention to Steel Pulse , Capesams, and t_man7 when you see there names in the threads you are about to go browsing. They are encyclopedias on plugs and plug building and share information freely. I ALWAYS learn something when they post. Again, that's just three, this forum is chock full of HUGELY talented builders to help ! Just have fun and enjoy the process  !!

Jim

Thank you Jim!

I'm itching to get started, will try to find a wood lathe soon...

5 hours ago, Kphresh said:

Like rrocco said, start simple. Maybe a pencil popper, I know that was the first one I made and then caught on. That alone is enough to get you hooked.

Also, see who's in your area. If you're lucky, someone might show you the ropes. A few in person sessions are worth their weight in gold.

Can't comment much on the metal lathe though. I know they are different, but yeah you might end up making a really oily mess.

Going to start the search...

6 hours ago, rrocco said:

I would start with a classic lure you use or like and use it as a reference. You can get all the info here on what wood to use, how to add weights, thru wiring, ect. This way you should end up with a useable plug from the beginning. As you learn the process and dynamics involved you can experiment with your own variations and creations. Also, not sure I'd recommend using a metal lathe for this job. A wood lathe is very simple relative to a metal lathe. The amount of dust and wood chips that are created is remarkable. The wood/dust would get into and stick to everything. It would probably ruin it in short order. The tools/tool post are also different as well. Lastly there are several online stores selling lure building supplies where you can get wire, eyes, lips, grommets, ect. Have fun and be safe.

Gotcha rrocco... 

I'll look for a wood lathe then.

I'm gonna do it. It's better than wasting time on my computer or messing around on social media. Will get started once I scrape together the funds.

Pretty soon I'll be making some good stuff I hope!

:howdy:

Patrick.  My 2 cents.  Search the forum. A ton of info.  I think I read posts for months before I took the jump into building.   Buy a notebook and make it your plug building bible.  What you did, measurements, weight placement, etc.   Turn, make notes and test, test, test your plugs.  What you like and dislike, write it down.  Amazing how your faults and successes written down will speed up your process.  Have fun doing it too and if you get stuck ask the questions.   Post pics of your builds and ask again.  This forum and the group of guys that are on it are awesome !! 

2 mins ago, Antagonizer said:

Patrick.  My 2 cents.  Search the forum. A ton of info.  I think I read posts for months before I took the jump into building.   Buy a notebook and make it your plug building bible.  What you did, measurements, weight placement, etc.   Turn, make notes and test, test, test your plugs.  What you like and dislike, write it down.  Amazing how your faults and successes written down will speed up your process.  Have fun doing it too and if you get stuck ask the questions.   Post pics of your builds and ask again.  This forum and the group of guys that are on it are awesome !! 

I will. I think I'll spend this summer perusing the forum, getting an idea of the stuff I need and the process, as well as other people's successes and failures. 

Then will get working in the fall, hopefully will have some cool lures by the next season.

Thanks Antagonizer!