Skunkoff

Smack-it knockoff cracked!!

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

I have this Smack-it knockoff I got from The Bay.  It has caught 95% of the stripers for this season.  This morning after about 5 of them, it started to sink on me.  Noticed a crack up the belly.  I'm currently attempting to drain it, doesn't seem like there's much in there.  I plan to put some super glue on it. 

Questions:

1. Does the crack itself cause the sinking, or is it water in the lure?

2. Is super glue a good choice?

3. If it still sinks after repair, is it trash?

20210602_124258.jpg

With shipping, these are almost there.  I bought multiple knockoffs but want to hang on to them as long as possible.  These things produce!

The crack itself doesn’t change the weight of the plug.  It’s the water that gets into the plug that makes it sink.  Try drilling a small hole to help drain water, and fill with expanding foam.  

Drill small hole at each end of the crack, Seal with 30min epoxy. Looks like the seam is opening probably will happen again. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

23 mins ago, XBMX said:

Drill small hole at each end of the crack, Seal with 30min epoxy. Looks like the seam is opening probably will happen again. 

Definitely agree..don't use stoopid glue, us some sort of epoxy or construction adhesive.  Stoopid Glue is not flexible and will crack first try out there after a solid hit or two.

Edited by rkw
speel chak

(first, I think the expanding foam approach could work although I haven’t tried it.)

Rarely does the combination of glue and plastic work out perfectly that they’re truly bonded to a point where it’ll withstand flex or impact.

Sometimes the material & glue do bond really well. However, many many other times the glue ends up as kind of a “floating” surface over the hole or crack. That layer will not keep the crack from widening and could potentially chip right off. 

Since you have several.... drill some holes, and rough up the crack. Stick something that will soak up the liquid glue or epoxy like cotton ball into the holes & crack so that it’s inside and not really protruding. 

Then either superglue or epoxy.

if epoxy, lightly cover the crack and the holes you filled with cotton/etc and extend application beyond the patch area some. 

If superglue (CA), you can use a light application into the holes & cracks first and then start to spread out. You can immediately cure / harden liquid (not 100% same with the gel) the CA by putting some baking soda onto the wet glue. 

The cotton ball material, or whatever soft thing you find to soak up the glue or epoxy, will soak the stuff up and then harden at least or hopefully larger than the crack and the drilled holes. So while your patch may not chemically bond to the plastic, those spots will anchor the patch to the plug surface. 

This is the best method I have found and use but, as always, there are many other ways and I 100% believe some will work better. Good luck!

Despite my long reply, I’m now thinking this is a lost cause or a much more difficult problem. 

I just zoomed in on the image and it looks like the belly hook hanger is twisting - that the hook hanger “anchor” which is molded into the plastic is itself twisting. That anchor twisting is causing the crack. 

I can think of ways I might try to rig it but honestly those are not things I do for anything but trial and error to learn about fixing things. 

For all intents and purposes, I would consider this thing retired for active fishing. And your other one will probably develop this terminal condition or the hook will pull right out without warning. 

****, that's what I thought.   Oh well, I'll see how long the others last.  Fish love them, and it did get a severe beating in a short amount of time.  I'll give it a proper burial. 

Thanks, all!

Edited by Skunkoff

3 hours ago, Skunkoff said:

****, that's what I thought.   Oh well, I'll see how long the others last.  Fish love them, and it did get a severe beating in a short amount of time.  I'll give it a proper burial. 

Thanks, all!

The other ones may last longer if there’s no twisting force on that belly hook hanger. Try doing a cut treble with a swivel and split ring to the belly hanger. 

Still could have catastrophic failure on a large fish, but you know now what you’re getting into with the stability of these knockoffs. 

6 mins ago, EricDice said:

The other ones may last longer if there’s no twisting force on that belly hook hanger. Try doing a cut treble with a swivel and split ring to the belly hanger. 

Still could have catastrophic failure on a large fish, but you know now what you’re getting into with the stability of these knockoffs. 

True.  I might switch out for singles.  I would think a swivel might throw off balance?  Also I don't want to be cutting eyelets to get swivels on, unless I'm missing something.

Edited by Skunkoff

Seal the crack with epoxy, leave the water it will evaporate it always does. Eliminate the middle hook all together, throw a siwash hook on the rear and use it for blues. Stripers will like it too I’m sure. 

I’ve salvaged plugs like this in the past using Amazing Goop over the entire seam, even the part that isn’t separating. Flexible anda good bond. The twisted hangar is a problem so keep that in mind for future use, I would trash this one.

For the other plugs, use some med/heavy assist cord to attach your hooks to the hangars. There won’t be as much twisting force on the hangar so the other plugs won’t have the same problem, at least it won’t develop as quickly. If you have enough drag on a big fish I’m sure that will cause some bending or twisting unfortunately.

Hope this helps!