t_man7

Where are all the squirrels?

Rate this topic

49 posts in this topic

I’ve seen less than a half dozen squirrels this spring, usually they’re all over.  Anyone else seeing this?

All in my garden eating all my seedlings 

I have noticed less roadkill squirrels but I just figured they're getting better and not being flat 

3 hours ago, t_man7 said:

I’ve seen less than a half dozen squirrels this spring, usually they’re all over.  Anyone else seeing this?

Coyotes and bobcats. My wife saw a coyote today with a squirrel in its mouth. And CT DEEP says squirrel is 45% of a bobcats meals based on autopsies of road killed bobcats. 

2 hours ago, bdowning said:

We are overrun with squirrels and rabbits. Come over and take all you want. 

We are too. My wife loves feeding all of the little critters in our neighborhood.  She has 3 ground feeders and 5 bird feeders. We get rabbits, racoons, skunks, chipmunks, possum, fox, and hawks. The rabbits are peeing all over the place and leaving dead spots in the lawn, the squirrels are digging up my lawn burying corn, sunflower seeds, and what have you. My wife feeds them and my neighbor catches them in a have a heart trap and drops them off at a local park.  

This past fall seen lots of hawks and remember telling my wife that was gonna put a dent on the squirrel population around here.

Also had a bad year for acorn production. No food no squirrels breeding.

Just now, The TideRunner said:

This past fall seen lots of hawks and remember telling my wife that was gonna put a dent on the squirrel population around here.

I heard there wasn’t a good acorn production this year as well.  I’ve also seen more hawks than ever.  Could definitely be a combination of both of those.

Got some white oaks on my property and some seasons it hurts your feet to walk on the acorns. This year, nothing but Tony ones about the size of a pencil eraser. 
I have heard but have no evidence that one year the white oaks produce acorns, the next year, the red oaks.

All I know is that if production is high, and you want a deer, you had better find acorns before you set up a stand. 
Another squirrel observation this spring is that they’re very small.  
Got lots of rabbits again this year. 

12 mins ago, The TideRunner said:

That's actually a clever oak survival tactic. They starve the little bastards for a few years then have a bumper crop that's way more than the wildlife can eat, so some get to germinate.

Got some idiot in my neighborhood giving them peanuts in the shell. They dig up my containers burying them, then dig them up trying to find them. They also pull the flowers off my zucchini fruit. There was a discussion of scoped pellet guns a little while back that had me thinking real hard about it.

Why scoped? Open sights work just as well. 
I have a “range” in my basement where I shoot pellets and .22 CB caps. Those guns are always at the ready.

4 hours ago, t_man7 said:

Covid or Orange Man Bad 

IIRC there was a disease similar to the white nose disease found in bats, that squirrels were getting.  

This was a few years back (10 or less)  and remember talking about it with a customer and fellow squirrel hunter about it. 

He was in Redding, and said the same thing. No squirrels. 

I'm in Woodbury and said. Lots of squirrels.   

So. Who knows. Maybe it's cyclic. :shrug:

11 hours ago, Big Biscuit said:

We are too. My wife loves feeding all of the little critters in our neighborhood.  She has 3 ground feeders and 5 bird feeders. We get rabbits, racoons, skunks, chipmunks, possum, fox, and hawks. The rabbits are peeing all over the place and leaving dead spots in the lawn, the squirrels are digging up my lawn burying corn, sunflower seeds, and what have you. My wife feeds them and my neighbor catches them in a have a heart trap and drops them off at a local park.  

Key word: feeding. All my neighbors like feeding squirrels for some reason. So i think word has gotten out in "Squirrel Nation" and now they hold their conventions here. :p

I can't explain the bumper crop of rabbits though. Some of these suckers are big !

On 6/2/2021 at 4:56 AM, PSegnatelli said:

IIRC there was a disease similar to the white nose disease found in bats, that squirrels were getting.  

This was a few years back (10 or less)  and remember talking about it with a customer and fellow squirrel hunter about it. 

He was in Redding, and said the same thing. No squirrels. 

I'm in Woodbury and said. Lots of squirrels.   

So. Who knows. Maybe it's cyclic. :shrug:

Does the illness squirrels get  (similar to white nose disease) affect whether you can eat them or not?

From what I've read, WND has had a drastic effect on the bats...incredibly contagious