ChumSlickJon

June report thread

Rate this topic

527 posts in this topic

On 6/5/2021 at 10:10 AM, yarddog59 said:

Fish has the two spike teeth on the  front of the upper jaw. Lower  front jaw has finer row of teeth.

I used to catch tide runner weaks at night in the mid 70s in a back harbor on a floating dock in a marina off Raritan Bay.

We would live line peanut bunker using a # 2 gold beak hook, with the leader running through a half ounce dipsy sinker.

When a weakfish first struck, you would have to let it run with the bait, until it stopped and ran a second time before you set the hook.

reason being is they use those from teeth to grab the baitfish tail, then shortly after engulf the bait.

I don't know if specks have the same teeth, as I never caught one.

They do.  Same family of fish.

19 hours ago, dscott said:

Tried a new spot this morning at the most southern tip of Jersey - saw about 10,000 dead adult bunker floating out with the tide. Only live fish a saw was a foul hooked cownose ray that left with my bucktail in his face. 

That area really depends on the wind/tide. When timed right its a great area.

1 hour ago, dgul said:

I know they are getting them in the bays but this is a really good sign to have weakfish in the front.  They were hitting my bucktail with gulp this morning at the lip while I was searching for fluke.

068D45F5-F359-4B04-BAFF-F44AD790C997.jpeg

Awesome...may I ask what county?

On 6/4/2021 at 10:27 PM, Sudsy said:

Looks like one of the jetties in Bradley Beach

Looks like a jetty in Sandy Hook back in the 60s

5 hours ago, dscott said:

Since the normal spots in south Jersey haven’t been producing much lately, I decided to explore some new territory this morning. I found a tiny bit of structure between some jetties at low tide and landed 15 weakfish, the largest being 24 and 26 inches. 

EDA8EFB8-FA4E-4FA0-A41A-0BC11A1C868E.jpeg

You and your kids do really well on the weakfish every year it seems. Thats awesome!! This year they have seemed to show up really well in spots that haven't seem them in a long time.

Thanks - we make up for our good luck on weakies by going years at a time with no stripers at all. This year I’m seeing bigger fish than I’ve seen in a long time. Unfortunately my 15 year old has befriended a couple of guys with boats and now leaves me to fish on my own. 

1913A7F2-6631-4B84-A41E-89C3E13159BD.jpeg

Posted (edited) · Report post

Took a couple days off for the Empress’ birthday weekend. Got some good boy fishing points. Split outings today:

SoMoCo in the AM, sunrise 1 hr, light S wind, water colder from last week, but cleared up nice. Flat ocean, not too much surf and saved the skunk with a 23” on a sexy shad paddle tail. 

MoCo for the afternoon evening bite. Moderate S wind, end of incoming to the flip.  Wasn’t expecting much due to the colder water and stiffer wind but got my first bass on bugs for the season. Ended up with 5 from 24-26”. One was gut hooked but I was able to get the hook out and she swam away hopefully to fight another day. Back at it tomorrow. Weather is a little sketchy for this week. Let’s see how it goes. 

B051956F-027B-425D-9C35-D0DA07374F44.jpeg

Edited by DeeMonee

2 hours ago, dscott said:

Thanks - we make up for our good luck on weakies by going years at a time with no stripers at all. This year I’m seeing bigger fish than I’ve seen in a long time. Unfortunately my 15 year old has befriended a couple of guys with boats and now leaves me to fish on my own. 

1913A7F2-6631-4B84-A41E-89C3E13159BD.jpeg

Yummy tiles. One of the best tasting fish! Miss fishing for them.