ChumSlickJon

June report thread

Rate this topic

279 posts in this topic

Glad some people are catching. First time back out for me in several days. MoCo, out front from 3:30 to 5:15 pm. Decent looking water, outgoing tide. SE wind and overcast sky. Not a tap. Saw one other guy on the beach who got one short. There was one area with beaucoup clam shells. Tons of small sand bug sheds. Hope to get back out early a.m.

Went out from 4 to 6pm at North jersey back bay area and got two small striper around 20".  first time use Zman paddle tail and looks great. the taill always up and slow retrieve and achieve nice swimming presentaion. 

I was out this morning sunrise to about 7:30.  Snappers have invaded the beach and there was some fluke around.  Time to switch to the lighter rod.  Seems we really didn’t get a significant run of stripers yet this spring down here OC out front.  Water was a bit cloudy with decent waves however not much whitewater.  The storm last weekend took away all of the points and holes.  There appears to be a small bar and a trough with not much else.

2 hours ago, dgul said:

I was out this morning sunrise to about 7:30.  Snappers have invaded the beach and there was some fluke around.  Time to switch to the lighter rod.  Seems we really didn’t get a significant run of stripers yet this spring down here OC out front.  Water was a bit cloudy with decent waves however not much whitewater.  The storm last weekend took away all of the points and holes.  There appears to be a small bar and a trough with not much else.

Snappers?
this early out and out front ?
cocktails perhaps?

Out front OC last night midnight to 3am. Did some bait fishing with brother in law, sister, and brother.... lots of dogfish, some pretty decent size and heavy.. fun time just to have them on some action and have rod bend.. will be out later again to try, hopefully for something other than the doggies 

2 mins ago, MarkG said:

Snappers?
this early out and out front ?
cocktails perhaps?

I wish!  They are there.  Been around since Wednesday.  Smallest was 8” and all below 12”.  They are small and couldn’t get their mouths around my bigger plugs.  Pretty adorable as they do all the things the big ones do.  They were “smashing” a small top water plug.  Here is a pic for proof : )

922CE4C2-2B11-4D0A-9107-AE262CD97B2C.jpeg

Posted (edited) · Report post

That's a BIG snapper.Regular snappers are smaller.Somewhere between a BIG snapper and a real small snapper.Your BIG snapper falls between a small blue and a regular snapper. It's kind of like grading clams.

Edited by jetty eddy
added info for fun

35 mins ago, jetty eddy said:

That's a BIG snapper.Regular snappers are smaller.Somewhere between a BIG snapper and a real small snapper.Your BIG snapper falls between a small blue and a regular snapper. It's kind of like grading clams.

What he said^
we call those cocktails

Hey i know this is off topic but I have a 21ft center console boat. I first had a slip ever 3 years ago and was not able to use it after my father needed a triple bipass.  He is healed thank god and I wanted to put the boat in the water even though i lost a couple months already.  Wondering if anyone knows of any places that may have a small slip available from highlands to belmar or a little further south.  Trying to avoid paying for a 26ft slip with the rare amount of time i have to take the boat out.  

1 hour ago, jetty eddy said:

Chicken blue

It’s too early to be arguing over bluefish sizes already. :( 

skunk- oc front. Good looking water, but no bait and the structure is flattened out as previously mentioned. 

35 mins ago, Sudsy said:

Chicken blue

Is this the category between snapper and cocktail?  Lol

I thought cocktails were 12”+  That picture was the biggest one caught.

Nah, chicken blue and cocktail blue are pretty much the same, different term, same thing.