ChumSlickJon

June report thread

Rate this topic

527 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, beret said:

I know you have done this before.....but could you please show your "bug" rig and/or describe how you do the bug rig......appreciate it.......thank you and continued success.......

This is from the @MC55 and @nam1969 playbook from what I remember. Circle hook to about 18”- 24” leader(or preferred length) with a slip shot. Depending on conditions, you can go from weightless to heavier weight. 

549968BB-549D-4A40-85FD-5556A63049AD.jpeg

Edited by DeeMonee

NoMoCo last evening just flipped to the incoming. The guard at the Hook said the Park closes at 8pm and it was 7:55 when I arrived told me 8pm Clouser I reminded him it was 9pm but he said it changed. Drove in anyway to see parking lots still with people, the bay side had lots looking for sunset...WTF! Headed south to luck out with two hits with one landed. It was one of those "fly comes parallel to the lip" bass eats right in front of me. Hook popped out, camera pose and next wave took it back out to sea. Nice school fish 24+" with a solid feel and some girth, all on the 7wgt. 

Screenshot_20210616-231205-01-02-01.jpeg

Hey @DeeMonee were you out this morning fishing off a jetty around 7? 

Quick report from this morning- saw my buddy bob who I haven’t seen in a while! 2 spots after I saw him I hooked up and missed a nice fish on a plug again.... 

took the day off and went to the beach fishing with the family - kids had a fun time. Had 2 hookups on the crabs ... good activity for the kids, they love it and love diggin for crabs 

Edited by Mr.Belmar

20 hours ago, adams54 said:

Do you use those typical cheap bobbers or one of them fancy slip bobbers. I assume the former because the latter one is very sharpie-ish.  I use a casting egg but i think I need to downgrade for all the reasons you mentioned. Walmart here I come.

Old school white over red bobber for me.  That @Sheisty guy thou he has an entire bag dedicated to those fancy shmancy bobbers.

I don't have the luxury of owning a boat or kayak :witty:. so I can't set my bobber depth deep and cast with any distance.

I only use slip bobbers when freshwater fishing, which are good for setting your depth pretty deep and still being able to cast. I have never fished with sand fleas, or a bobber/float in saltwater.

Hit the south end of the county this morning covering a lot of ground, but came up empty.  Had one fish on for a while using the bugs and self released before I could get it to the sand.  Had a few fluke hits that manage to pluck off one or two bugs never getting to the hook.  Also the crab population is growing.  Getting more and more in the scoop and getting back bugs chewed up at times.  Thinking of planting a tracking device on @DeeMonee since he the one finding all the fish lately.  Guess I'll just put it in the swimmer I promised him.

4 hours ago, DeeMonee said:

Negative Sir. I was on the sand working a small stretch.

Oh sorry dude I thought you were someone else! I should have known cause he didn’t have a pineapple haircut! 

Just wanted to share some thoughts about the sand flee rigging as others have asked... doing the crabs isn’t really my cup of tea but can be fun... I think @DeeMonee And others have the real right idea to make the rigging be movable and nature. I have also used hi lo rigs which also work well especially with kids. 

But something others have alluded to that works REALLY well is using an old school casting egg. Kinda the same thing as a bobber but it give you the ability to cast it like a plug. PLUS you can make it yourself. Check out the pics- the little brad nail is where you place your hook prior to casting- when the egg hits the water, the hook falls off And your fishing. So you can cast far and control with the helicopter of using a bobber.DA254868-6B8D-44A7-A7BC-EAEA4AE0C5B7.jpeg.0831efbe933f76f1d98f00a25958d316.jpeg

you cconnect to your main line on the top and tie a leader of your choose to the hook on the bottom (36”?) these also work extremely well for weight less sluggos and such... 

274B826C-691B-43EA-9AC9-37F544730894.jpeg.38484928d8ecd29b73f8aee737068981.jpeg

079B6D9B-8FE0-4D11-A689-FF776E386CFE.jpeg.53654136e03c0e7af538c0929e33c0e3.jpeg

the heaviest wooden eggs eggs are found at hobby lobby. 4 pack for 4$. I put the hardware on (google online how to do that) And then about 3 coats of painted on epoxy (just cheap stuff from hd)  comes out to 2oz when done! 

D70D7426-70CE-4E4B-8D0C-E917E20B1CC2.jpeg.af307dbda99182e1fdd57a37078e84e8.jpeg 

These 3’ bait nets work well for getting crabs too and can be found online or walfart for cheap 

Edited by Mr.Belmar