ChumSlickJon

June report thread

Rate this topic

278 posts in this topic

Back at it this morning.  Water clear enough now but the surf is too flat for my liking.  As others have said lots of bunker around and in close.  Also seeing the small bait for the first time which is encouraging.  Only found one small one on the yellow swimmer along with a hickory.  There were lots of hickories around continually bumping the lure.  Had one chop off by a yellow eye.  Couple of whales were active and a pod or two of dolphin went by too.  With more food around things could finally heat up.

Had my 1st grand slam yesterday...technically i had 5 species landed...do snagged rat bunker count? 3-5 # blues, cookie cutter 20” striped carp, fluke, and a healthy weakie! Bayside top of tide, and hardly a soul around me :beers:

54 mins ago, hwsmike said:

Had my 1st grand slam yesterday...technically i had 5 species landed...do snagged rat bunker count? 3-5 # blues, cookie cutter 20” striped carp, fluke, and a healthy weakie! Bayside top of tide, and hardly a soul around me :beers:

I must have missed the call.  :th:

If you are into plain old bend of the rod action you woulda loved this afternoon. Stupid bluefish fishing. Lost count. Mostly cookie cutter cocktails with a few 5 to maybe 8 pounders mixed in. Lots of fun. Really wanted a bass, but the blues were too thick. 

I cheated and jumped on an afternoon boat ride with friends.  The amount of life out there is incredible.  The amount of bunker is absolutely insane.  
All different sizes of bluefish and quality bass were caught. 

But.....Boat fish don’t count!  

In OC out front casting a 5in SP with a teaser hooked a shad on the teaser. Was  concentrating on just working the wash and the beach lip. 

7 hours ago, Goldy said:

I cheated and jumped on an afternoon boat ride with friends.  The amount of life out there is incredible.  The amount of bunker is absolutely insane.  
All different sizes of bluefish and quality bass were caught. 

But.....Boat fish don’t count!  

Sure they do! Any day out with some Buds...even if it’s their boat involving hooksetting is a win win!

SoMoCo, sunrise 1 hr. A little drizzle for the first half of the outing. No wind, middle of outgoing, ocean flat, little surf but clear and clean. Quiet for me. Had 1 lil’ tap, 1 follow to the lip and a sun dial washed up and hit my boot. Skunk.

22 mins ago, hwsmike said:

Sure they do! Any day out with some Buds...even if it’s their boat involving hooksetting is a win win!

That's assuming i liked the guys I was on the boat with.. HAHA

The one thing I will never understand is when bass are blowing up on bunker schools why do guys on boats troll right threw them.   Do people really not know how to throw a plug?

Just now, Goldy said:

That's assuming i liked the guys I was on the boat with.. HAHA

The one thing I will never understand is when bass are blowing up on bunker schools why do guys on boats troll right threw them.   Do people really not know how to throw a plug?

:laugh: 

let alone find fish without a phone call! 

Thanks for the great report as always Dee ! You give all the pertinent information that makes reading the thread interesting wish more people could post reports like this one! Instead of just pounding their chest. And I’m not talking about any specific Report.

7 mins ago, hwsmike said:

:laugh: 

let alone find fish without a phone call! 

The great news was not many boats in our area and we generally had the fish for the most part to ourselves