Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

On 6/2/2021 at 11:18 AM, fmtuna said:

IMHO, unless you are throwing something that spins.... no need for a swivel.  It's only true purpose is to prevent lines from twisting and binding up... although many do use it instead of tying knots.... but I don't.

They are also used to minimize line twist on any spinning reel, the reel "spinning" line inherently adds twist to the line as it is retrieved, swivels are supposed to minimize it.

9 mins ago, ijuanaspearfish said:

They are also used to minimize line twist on any spinning reel, the reel "spinning" line inherently adds twist to the line as it is retrieved, swivels are supposed to minimize it.

I feel like the cons outweigh the pros

7 hours ago, L Train said:

They make rubber glow beads now that are better than are less damaging than the plastic beads.

Thank you, I didn't know that.

4 hours ago, ijuanaspearfish said:

Well, sort of.  The line twists one direction on the cast and twists in the opposite direction (untwists) on the retrieve.  The only time twists start to accumulate is when drag is pulled.  Pulling drag does not impart twists like casting does but the retrieve still makes twists in the opposite direction.

Yet another reason to use conventional gear.