Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

IMHO, unless you are throwing something that spins.... no need for a swivel.  It's only true purpose is to prevent lines from twisting and binding up... although many do use it instead of tying knots.... but I don't.

If swivels, I like a Spro, they're a lot smaller at a given pound test than Rosco. If a swivel, put a plastic bead on the line ahead of the swivel so you don't stick the swivel into the tip.

22 hours ago, Nite_Bite_00 said:

and easier, no swivel to cut into your top guide when reeled a half turn to much.

at this stage, this is my biggest liability with the swivel.  Just another reason to graduate to direct tying in the future. 

1 hour ago, BrianBM said:

If swivels, I like a Spro, they're a lot smaller at a given pound test than Rosco. If a swivel, put a plastic bead on the line ahead of the swivel so you don't stick the swivel into the tip.

thanks for the information.  I will try the bead until I gain skills to tie direct in the wash.

32 mins ago, chisler said:

thanks for the information.  I will try the bead until I gain skills to tie direct in the wash.

Be careful with that bead method, also. The bead itself can push the inner ring out of the tip top guide. Plus, I did this with one surf rod I own that has really large guides. The bead was large but still kept catching on some part of the braid, and ending up inside the top guide. I ended up cutting and retying. 

Assuming you don’t have black braid, maybe take a black sharpie and color in a 6” section about 6’ before the leader so you know to slow down. 

3 hours ago, EricDice said:

A ball bearing swivel is really only necessary if you’re using something that spins - like a spoon, or trolling tube & worm. 

Otherwise, the “swivel” is really a line tie connector. You could equally use a tippet ring

Best answer yet!  In fact, i do use tippet rings for up to 10 lb. braid.  I also found a stainless ring that is a little larger for a little heavier braid, but herein lies the problem.  All the rings I've found, tippet or otherwise are stamped out of flat stainless.  The edges are kind of on the sharp side.  Knot break strength is reduced from otherwise tying to a rounded wire.  (actually there is a correlation between optimum diameter of wire and diameter of braid but we won't get into that here)

The $64,000 questions is, "Does anyone know a source for round wire closed rings?"  Stainless preferred, but I'm not adverse to rinsing off non-stainless for a reasonable (non Owner) price.  Plain swivels are pretty cheap, but I haven't had a problem with line twist using braid.  At night I prefer direct connect with a PR knot. 

Solid closed rings can also be altered/adjusted for a very good teaser attachment point but that again is a subject for another thread.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Swivels are just to make your life easier when you want to switch your leaders quick and frequent. If you're good with your hands, you're better off learning how to tie good knots. Uni to uni is a good one to start with, but FG knot is much better. Save the swivels for trolling tube and worm and making rigs that you want to tie to your main line. Swivels also compromise on your casting distance as well.

Edited by beachbum12

Posted (edited) · Report post

I use an FG without swivel but don't like tying it in the field.  So, I use a long ten to fifteen foot wind-on leader.  Retying lures or cutting off a frayed tip section still leaves a long enough leader to fish with, at least until the next trip.  Then, retie the FG without rush when in a comfortable spot with good lighting.

Edited by oc1

On 6/2/2021 at 11:24 AM, BrianBM said:

They make rubber glow beads now that are better than are less damaging than the plastic beads.

On 6/1/2021 at 1:48 PM, chisler said:

Hello, 

I'm starting to break into more frequent fishing from the surf and jetties, but I'm relatively new.  When casting a fluorocarbon leader attached to a braid mainline via a swivel; is there any benefit to using the $$ ball bearing Spro swivels as opposed to the plain Spro swivels?  I'd like to keep the money for beer if I can cheap out on these.

less beer more fish...