Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

Hello, 

I'm starting to break into more frequent fishing from the surf and jetties, but I'm relatively new.  When casting a fluorocarbon leader attached to a braid mainline via a swivel; is there any benefit to using the $$ ball bearing Spro swivels as opposed to the plain Spro swivels?  I'd like to keep the money for beer if I can cheap out on these.

24 mins ago, chisler said:

Hello, 

I'm starting to break into more frequent fishing from the surf and jetties, but I'm relatively new.  When casting a fluorocarbon leader attached to a braid mainline via a swivel; is there any benefit to using the $$ ball bearing Spro swivels as opposed to the plain Spro swivels?  I'd like to keep the money for beer if I can cheap out on these.

Learn how to tie an FG knot and don't buy any swivels at all. Braid to Flouro a lot of guys tie direct with Albright, Alberto, FG, PR, Surgeons...etc, knots. One less piece of hardware to buy = more money for beer.

4 mins ago, RockRonin said:

One less piece of hardware to buy

and easier, no swivel to cut into your top guide when reeled a half turn to much.

1 hour ago, Skunkoff said:

Spro power swivels are the best.  Not sure what you mean by normal swivels.

normal swivel = SPro Power Swivel, vs SPro Ball Bearing Swivel.  Sorry for the confusion. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

8 mins ago, chisler said:

normal swivel = SPro Power Swivel, vs SPro Ball Bearing Swivel.  Sorry for the confusion. 

Oh ok.  I use power swivels.  Very strong and smaller profile than other brands.  Ball bearing is too complicated for swivels and probably more of a marketing thing.  K.I.S.S.

I did line to line but I suck at those types of knots, so I'm a swivel guy.  Personal preference. 

Edited by Skunkoff

1 hour ago, RockRonin said:

Learn how to tie an FG knot and don't buy any swivels at all. Braid to Flouro a lot of guys tie direct with Albright, Alberto, FG, PR, Surgeons...etc, knots. One less piece of hardware to buy = more money for beer.

RockRonin,  

Good Point.  I will be working toward that as an option.  I'll first learn tying the leaders direct at home on the rod before I venture out without the wind, wash, and darkness impairing my marginal skills and vision.  When I graduate, I can take a stab at tying in the wash.

I do agree less hardware is best: unless you are real crappy at the knots required, then the direct method suddenly becomes very expensive.  I appreciate the input.

3 mins ago, chisler said:

unless you are real crappy at the knots required, then the direct method suddenly becomes very expensive.

This is me :howdy:

1 hour ago, Skunkoff said:

Oh ok.  I use power swivels.  Very strong and smaller profile than other brands.  Ball bearing is too complicated for swivels and probably more of a marketing thing.  K.I.S.S.

I did line to line but I suck at those types of knots, so I'm a swivel guy.  Personal preference. 

I'll then stick with the more beer friendly version.  good to know.

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 hours ago, chisler said:

Hello, 

Tsunami makes a perfectly acceptable swivel available at most box stores, costs less than $pro for the same performance. Honestly though, don’t buy either. As mentioned by @hydraman you’re best bet is to buy Rosco swivels and treat yourself to even more brewskis. 100 pack at 175lb rating for $7.

I’m not allowed to post a link but do a Google search for Rosco 801 and you will find what you need on the cheap.

Edited by Sir Defyable

A ball bearing swivel is really only necessary if you’re using something that spins - like a spoon, or trolling tube & worm. 

Otherwise, the “swivel” is really a line tie connector. You could equally use a tippet ring

I'm firmly in the "knot" camp.  I use an albright because I can do it quickly.  I know there are stronger options but only if you do them right.  I use swivels to attach the lure to the leader on occasion and only then because is convenient.

I also replace the knot connection at least each outing.  Something a couple of times if I am casting a lot.  I've found that eventually the braid fatigues at the leader connection and will results in casting break offs  or breakoffs when landing fish.

I use swivels if I know there is big fish around. Dinks, I’m just doing knots. I trust my Palomar knot to the swivel more than my knots connecting lines. That being said I have never had an issue with big fish doing Uni to uni.