bob_G

What happened to all the hummingbirds?

Rate this topic

56 posts in this topic

They're gone.  First week in May they arrived in force. All females,  at the feeders all day. About May 15 they disappeared.  As in gone.  I  had one male in the last 2 weeks.

Could it be they're all on nests?

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have yet to see any at my feeder. Maybe I don’t have enough flowers around to attract them yet. Iris are growing and peonies are almost ready which should help to attract them.

Edited by heyblue34

I mentioned that I hadn't seen any the last week or so, and my wife told me they do this every year. She thinks sitting the nests.

this has be one of the most difficult sites to edit/remove postings.

Bob G, would you please remove the double post for me.  Thanks

Edited by FizzyFish

Ours have largely disappeared as well, although I did see one at the feeder at dusk in the pouring rain the other day. 

Mine are going strong and fighting with the ants.  

The ants have even found the feeder on the slider....they're relentless.    

I used to see them every other year, but our Honeysuckle is really drawing them in.  I hope yours are successfully nesting.  Hummingbirds are absolutely amazing to watch.  

We've had a pretty good year with the birds. A couple of pairs of nesting Orioles, still getting quite a few Hummingbirds, they too must be nesting nearby. Rose Breasted Grosbeaks, parents and fledge. Lots of others.

But this was issued a couple of days ago:

https://www.mass.gov/news/advisory-report-dead-birds-and-remove-feeders

<snip> As another cautionary measure, MassWildlife and Mass Audubon are also recommending the public to stop using bird feeders and bird baths at this time. Birds congregating at bird feeders and bird baths can transmit diseases to one another. MassWildlife, as well as other affected states, recommend taking the following precautions: 

• Cease feeding birds until this wildlife morbidity/mortality event subsides.
  • Clean feeders and bird baths with a 10% bleach solution (one part bleach mixed with nine parts water), rinse with water, and allow to air-dry.
  • Avoid handling birds unless necessary. If you do handle them, wear disposable gloves and wash hands afterwards.
  • If picking up a dead bird, place an inverted plastic bag over your hand to avoid direct contact with the bird. To dispose of dead birds, place them in a plastic bag, seal, and discard with household trash or alternatively bury them deeply. 
  • Keep pets (including pet birds) away from sick or dead wild birds as a standard precaution. <snip>

They do say that the problem seems to be more centered in the mid-Atlantic states....

Edited by woma

We haven't had any sick birds in our yard.

I have seen something new though.

Seems one type of woodpecker has taken a liking to hummingbird nectar.

They will sit on the feeder and take quick drinks.

I figure that since they want to drink the stuff, I'll put out a small bowl/saucer for them.

They have started using the bowl, but then the stupid squirrels found that the stuff taste good too, and have been knocking it over because they're too stupid to just drink from it.

That's all.

I'm suddenly inundated with hummingbirds. Mostly females. I think it's the same few birds all day. But regardless, nice to see. I had one last night almost until 8pm.

4 hours ago, bob_G said:

I'm suddenly inundated with hummingbirds. Mostly females. I think it's the same few birds all day. But regardless, nice to see. I had one last night almost until 8pm.

How do you tell their females?