flyfishvt

News from the Cape?

Rate this topic

65 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Hook I said:

So what gets me is that guys for decades had the pleasure of catching HUGE stripers some they ate some they released & some they sold $$ now because there is a shortage for many reasons, now those old guys preach about recreational fisherman should not be targeting striped bass . Well if the laws by states allow you to fish by NOT breaking any regulations ...I say fish on .  Many decades ago i used to turn over submerged rocks at low tide looking for baby eels in little pools , truck tires and such I was approached by a guy who said "I was destroying the beach by doing so "  ,Only to find out he was the same guy hunting Big Bass under bridges on the L.I. sound .:howdy: 

Not only big stripers. Back in the day 16" was the legal size and we killed untold numbers of them too. 

36 mins ago, DAQ said:

Not only big stripers. Back in the day 16" was the legal size and we killed untold numbers of them too. 

sure I was part of it but we never over harvested them , now want to take about umbrella rigs wire line trolling guys smashed them 

Slip'n'Slide is of course correct in his assessment of the fishery. I salute him for practising what he preaches also. He is an excellent fisherman and does not follow the crowd to find his own fish. 

I will still come to the cape when I can (Covid travel rules permitting) or I may as well give up fishing completely. I accept that this is conflicted. My only defence is that we try and avoid schoolies and try and focus on sight fishing (when possible) and targeting larger fish - although with limited success usually. I love the cape and the relentless banter and p*** taking that comes with fishing with your mates. This to me is the main draw of our annual cape trips. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

JRT,

Yep in a nut shell JRT. The craic is a huge part of the experience for us Brits. The ball breaking is relentless.

Like you I feel very conflicted. These days I try to fish mostly at night when the opportunity for larger fish is improved. But still putting hooks into fish in an endangered resource is not a great feeling.

Slip has been misunderstood on this thread. His words may have comes across  to some as harsh. He is just a passionate guy and wants to do what’s right.

In common with most tall very tall men he is of a very gentle and quite disposition. We have been friends for many years and fished together often and enjoyed much rib shaking humour and laughter on a fair number of occasions.

He is incredibly tuned to the natural world. A total one off.

Mike

Edited by Mike Oliver

All righty now. Please give each other hugs. I will administer kisses as necessary.

This has simmered down a lot and that's the way I like it.