flyfishvt

News from the Cape?

Rate this topic

65 posts in this topic

15 mins ago, Drew C. said:

Now the seals are responsible for the disappearance of the ground fish? Beyond clueless.

500 years ago there were plenty of seals and plenty of bass, cod and everything else. We screwed this up. The current issue with bass is almost solely due to the rec angler and yes, the c&r guys are also responsible too, probably more responsible that your average white bucket guy. We won't get any improvement until people accept that fact and stop blaming seals, comms and everyone/thing else for the problem. 

Slip is a 1,000% right

Your opinion.Fine  Don't agree with you on these beaches.Over 55 years of the rise and fall of what I see.

3 mins ago, theshadow said:

Your opinion.Fine  Don't agree with you on these beaches.Over 55 years of the rise and fall of what I see.

A good friend of mine has a saying "I trust nothing of what I hear and half of what I see". 

I think that applies to a lot of this stuff. Our simplistic eyes & minds see one thing once (or a few times) and it is what always happens. But, reality is actually far different. When someone tells me they've been doing/seen things for a long time that's generally a sure sign it's completely wrong.

Old salt logic - an attempt of a simple explanation for a complex issue. It's never right.

24 mins ago, Drew C. said:

The current issue with bass is almost solely due to the rec angler

Really?   

You think recreational fishermen in MA remove 30,000 fish averaging 30# each from the fishery each season?   All of them female and all of them carrying millions of eggs?  I've never seen it and I've fished here for >50 years.  But the commercial fishery does so year after year.  Not that that would harm the breeding stock though, right?  I've watched large concentrations of bass of gay head, off monomoy, and in CCB totally wiped out by concentrated commercial pressure.  Yes, recreational carnage in the canal for several years clearly had an impact but even there the removal of large fish was likely an order of magnitude below what the commercial season inflicted.

And as for C&R mortality this study is the benchmark https://www.laterallineco.com/fishing_journal/Diodati_Richards_1996.pdf

You should read it.

For expert anglers the mortality was 2%.......and that is after fish were held in a pond with water temps into the low 80's and a documented shortage of food.  Furthermore there was no true control group since the fish held as controls were adequately fed and the hooked fish were not.  Significant die off of unhooked fish in the pond (the real control group) is evident from the reported numbers but not accounted for in the study.  It easily could have been 2% as well. 

Absolutely we all kill fish and absolutely recreational fishing has a large impact but to blame the collapse of the fishery solely on recreational catch is a specious argument at best.  

Everyone simmer down, please. I don't want to lock the thread. I like the relatively genteel tone of Fly Fishing. When I'm feeling ornery, I know I can go to Political Graffiti, pick up a couple of dead cats at the door, and flail away. 

Amen Brian.

I think at the end of the day we really all on the same team. That doesn’t mean our opinions aren’t going to vary. But it does mean that should respect each other’s opinions. 

3 hours ago, Drew C. said:

A good friend of mine has a saying "I trust nothing of what I hear and half of what I see". 

I think that applies to a lot of this stuff. Our simplistic eyes & minds see one thing once (or a few times) and it is what always happens. But, reality is actually far different. When someone tells me they've been doing/seen things for a long time that's generally a sure sign it's completely wrong.

Old salt logic - an attempt of a simple explanation for a complex issue. It's never right.

Bull...…………..Done.

Brian...please lock this thread.  I started it and was asking a simple question about fishing conditions on the cape.  It’s devolved into something that really doesn’t belong in the forum...

I see nothing wrong with men and women letting it out about fishing , politics involving fishing a few personal opinions about each other , if you can’t handle it don’t read it more than once .

What are we here  ? :rav:

13 hours ago, theshadow said:

55 years is nothing you have only seen one little blip of how the ecosystem works that has already been badly altered by man. 

After ww2 Jimmy Andrews working for the Goose was asked to take a sports writer fishing in Pleasant bay and went home a wrote an article in a fishing magazine.

That became the beginning of the end.

PLEASANT BAY,OUTER BEACHES AN THENOFF SHORE.

Think of 70,thirty five lb.fish taken from the beach in one night.

That's 2,500lbs @ $2 a pound or 5000 bucks in one night.

I've seen pickup trucks loaded to falling off headed for Bishop's fish house then Fulton fish in N.Y.

Then in 1968-70 the bounty on seals was removed and slowly the build up of grey seals took over.

ps If you watch a grey seal feed ,they come up under a bass or codfish buy the belly because they want the liver.

When off shore fishen changed from trawl to gill nets the by catch had a few bass as well.

You can follow this seal bullchit starting in Newfoundland when seal hunting for fur was stopped  by ----IFAW---- RIGHT DOWN HERE ON BEAUTIFULL Cape Cod.

It takes big balls to have government bow down because those in government don't want to lose

their jobs.

That's seventy years of falling in love with a stupid fish. JUST ASK MY WIFE.

Oh give me a home/ Where the big stripers roam/ And the blues and the albies all play/ Where seldom is heard a discouraging word/ And the seas are not rowdy all day.

Posted (edited) · Report post

The catch and release police really don't need to be hammering away at people on a fly fishing board.  There are plenty of people out there who don't come to SOL and are not fly fishermen who insist on using tactics harmful to stripers.  Go find them and harass them with your (nitpicking.)  Educate the the ones who need it most, and then tell us how you made out?

Edited by isleomaniac
change wording

2 hours ago, Jim McFeeley said:

55 years is nothing you have only seen one little blip of how the ecosystem works that has already been badly altered by man. 

I'll PM you if you want.Sorry flyfishvt.

Threads twist turn and meander. Better to have some spirited discussion rather than shove painful stuff under the carpet.

It is by being quite or in other regimes being oppressed that we are not able to try and effect change.

It should be done hopefully respectfully But the typed  words can so easily be read not in the way intended. Or the words came out wrong.

Fly Anglers do cause stress to Stripers and that can lead to death. Some inexperienced guys will play a fish to exhaustion because they just don’t know how to play them hard and fast and also to use balanced gear.

No one sector is clear of guilt.

Back to the  OP I hope amongst the many replies that you received information that was useful.

Mikey

So what gets me is that guys for decades had the pleasure of catching HUGE stripers some they ate some they released & some they sold $$ now because there is a shortage for many reasons, now those old guys preach about recreational fisherman should not be targeting striped bass . Well if the laws by states allow you to fish by NOT breaking any regulations ...I say fish on .  Many decades ago i used to turn over submerged rocks at low tide looking for baby eels in little pools , truck tires and such I was approached by a guy who said "I was destroying the beach by doing so "  ,Only to find out he was the same guy hunting Big Bass under bridges on the L.I. sound .:howdy: