flyfishvt

News from the Cape?

Rate this topic

65 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 hours ago, isleomaniac said:

This one lived.

DSCF6424_1.JPG.fd76b2bee213a521f7a72f299354331a.JPG

No one knows for sure...... was it played to exhaustion......how long out of the water for hook removal,  all factors contributing to fish mortality.    Not saying this is what you did just pointing out that a released fish that swims away doesn't always survive.

Yes I still Striper fish so like Slip says I may be part of the problem but I try to take extra pains to increase survival odds by grinding the barbs off my hooks, end the fight as quickly as possible, and I keep my catch submerged when removing the hook.

Additionally if they, or anyone would like to criticize me go ahead, I suspect my skin is thick enough not to be overly sensitive even if the occasional response might sound a little caustic :)    I know both Slip and Oakman and these are standup guys from my perspective.   Like they say can't always judge a book by its cover....or a person by a post on a forum.

Edited by HillTop

1 hour ago, Oakman said:

If you consider Slips comments an “attack” then I’d advise you to stay out of the PG as well, for your own mental well being. 

So you consider calling someone who is asking about fishing a "petunia" and "selfish"  an appropriate way of sharing an opinion?????  If not, then what would you call it?   

And please explain why you think the self-absorbed rantings of the intellectual midgets so nauseatingly displayed by both sides in the PG forum (with which you seem so curiously enamored) in some way justifies marginally less vituperative behavior here.  It doesn't and you should be old enough to know that.

The aggressive virtue signaling regarding catching striped bass, on a site dedicated to catching striped bass is kind of interesting.

BTW, I kind of get it and I'm sure I am guilty of VS in some conversations but coming out Dick's a Blazin is questionable.

21 mins ago, DAQ said:

The aggressive virtue signaling regarding catching striped bass, on a site dedicated to catching striped bass is kind of interesting.

LOL!!!

Posted (edited) · Report post

There is a mortality to C&R.  Probably more so on larger fish that are taken on lighter tackle, like a flyrod.  I have no doubts on this.  So many factors come into play, the tackle, the water temps, the angler's skill, and the size /health of the fish. I agree that if we care about the resource we should consider our footprint on it.  In that respect, I agree we should be educated and it is fair for folk to share opinions.

That said, this is a fishing forum. Passing judgement directly on others, always ends up being counter productive.  Blaming the state of the fishery on a singe person or a group is not a fair assessment of how we got here.  We are here because of lack of environmental management.  Not just of striped bass but the whole fishery.

This fishery has been going down the tubes for quite a time.  The best advice I can give is to use the stoutest tackle you have and test the limits of it. Horse those fish in and send them back green. Most anglers play fish way too long.  Slip & Slide is 100% correct.  Best to not target these fish at all.  I do not have the will power to do so as I am an addict to fishing the surf and specifically striped bass and bluefish.  I would target other species like weakfish and fluke but they are also in decline in my waters.

Edited by puppet

1 hour ago, numbskull said:

So you consider calling someone who is asking about fishing a "petunia" and "selfish"  an appropriate way of sharing an opinion?????  If not, then what would you call it?   

And please explain why you think the self-absorbed rantings of the intellectual midgets so nauseatingly displayed by both sides in the PG forum (with which you seem so curiously enamored) in some way justifies marginally less vituperative behavior here.  It doesn't and you should be old enough to know that.

Sigh. . . Ok, since you asked. . . I think, in this day and age, if you are bothered by being called selfish or petunia on the internet, wherever on the internet, you should re think where you spend your time.  It's just not that big a deal, right?  Sticks and stones, seriously. 

As for the PG, I'm not enamored by it at all, rather stunned that the narrow minded, xenophobic views expressed in that forum still exist in this day and age, and therefore reference it as a forum where those with a delicate constitution should not venture.  It's my sarcastic way of saying "your skin is a little thin".  I must confess I had to look up vituperative, and I don't have to do that much, good word, worth a lot in scrabble.  But this goes back to my main point, It's the internet in 2021, if you can't handle "petunia" and "selfish" after living through 4 years of the Drumph then you might want to rethink your involvement in the internet.  The bar has been lowered on social discourse like it or not.  

And now having fulfilled your request, I bow out of this thread, again. . . for the last time.  This is all just my opinion and no one should give a rat's ass about it.  Except for the miserable state of the fishery and environment in general, thanks to our greed and laziness, that's not opinion.  

And lastly, I'm as guilty as the nest fisher person, I tortured some striped bass last week.  Did my best to treat them right, and got them on their way, but still guilty of probably killing some, or at least shortening their life span.  So I'm not trying to ride the high horse here, just don't think what has been said by anyone on this thread is worth getting all worked up over.

Sure everybody who has been catching Stripers the last 40 years can stop fishing , do the right thing and STOP fishing and let the young guys have a turn , you have had your life of catching .  It will help the fish . 

I've got no problem with slipnslide's opinion on striped bass management although I think it is naive.

I object strongly, however, to his choice of how to express it, and particularly his decision to escalate after the original poster politely objected.  

That is not defensible and hardly the action of a "standup guy".

He owes FlyfishVT an apology ......if the guy hasn't already been driven away from the board.

Let's see if he is man enough to do it.   

Thread has gone kinda orny. Irrespective of bun fights guys coming to the Cape or any Striper  Fishery in the US have to understand that the fishery is in a poor state. New moons full moons we can’t catch what is not there. At my age I can not and will not do denial.First Montauk and now the Cape has gone down the pan.

There are likely to be multiple reasons but over predation by both commercials and recreational has had a negative effect.

Management of the resource is weak and run by the wrong agency.

To lose the fishery once is bad enough but to lose it twice is nothing short of criminal.

Expectations need to match what’s left in the resource.

Hope your trip is a good one.

Mikey

Hey Mike!!! You kind'a hit it on the head and I like the Mass. fish&wildlife guys.

But Washington plays with the tree huggers and sucks up to them and that my friends is why the grey seals have grown from zero in 1970 to enough to thin out the bass coming around Monomoy.

PS Ididn't read this in a book ,I live here and watched it happen.

Heh Oakie,

I thought you was done with this thread.

I am  tired and I mean dog tired. I just don’t wish to upset anyone with any contra views I likely hold.

Man has screwed around with nature and the world for way too long and in the last century and current one way too aggressively and there are consequences. Only flat earthers burying their heads in the sand will cry foul or otherwise.

Nature knows how to set the balance if left alone.

Striped Bass would not be in trouble yet again if not for mans involvement in its decline. Be it over predation or screwing up the envoirament it needs to flourish in, most probably both.

What are these seals eating. What is their main diet. If it was Striped Bass then why come to Cape Cod.

Mikey

The seals have changed the ecosystem completely on the Cape and Nantucket.Especially along the outer beaches.There are virtually no ground fish of any kind that would normally thrive in the inshore parts of the beaches.Also,sand eel beds around the bars and points are also non-exisitant.Schooling fish that are present are on the move all the time.The years of low tide walks through the toughs and bowls spooking massive sand eel populations do not exist any more.Young of the year ground fish were part of the diet of bass populations.How many people does anyone see sand eel raking when the tide drops out? None.Try asking in any tackle shop for fresh sand eels.None.

For the most part seals are now attacking the schools of pogies with abandon.I've seen this at Race Point,Truro,and inside Pleasant Bay Chatham.Will they attack the micro bass running along the shore and school them up for an attack? Most likely.

Now the seals are responsible for the disappearance of the ground fish? Beyond clueless.

500 years ago there were plenty of seals and plenty of bass, cod and everything else. We screwed this up. The current issue with bass is almost solely due to the rec angler and yes, the c&r guys are also responsible too, probably more responsible that your average white bucket guy. We won't get any improvement until people accept that fact and stop blaming seals, comms and everyone/thing else for the problem. 

Slip is a 1,000% right