flyfishvt

News from the Cape?

Rate this topic

65 posts in this topic

26 mins ago, slip n slide said:

hey,Petunia,did it ever occur to you to stop being so selfish and give the fish a break? there's a reason your not getting the kind of feedback you want about the fishing and you're a contributor to that fact...you're welcome!

I guess thats fishing these days, drop a post and see whose catching and where.  The fact that there are people answering this post in insane to me.  Back in the day if you dropped a post like this you got the ban!  Anyway carry on.  

"Please practice catch and release and treat your schoolies with respect.  Blue fish are part of a great eco system the are a hard fighting and deserve respect as well!"

When I first joined this forum, BFD, and many of his friends, were strong contributors.  I enjoyed their posts and was impressed with the civil nature of the forum.  Folks were polite, helpful and spoke mostly about fishing. 

I've had the good fortune to meet many on the beach through the years and all were respectful, kind, decent people, just as they were online.

Back then, petty name calling wasn't tolerated...it was a much more collegial atmosphere.

If I wanted to engage in such small-minded discourse, I'd go to FB.

1 hour ago, BrokeOff said:

Can someone fill me in.  Who is killing fish?

Anyone who catches fish, from the person looking to fill a cooler to the most righteous catch and release practitioner. Eventually you will contribute to fish mortality. 

1 hour ago, BrokeOff said:

Fishing is a blood sport. No matter how careful you are, no matter how careful you are about crushing barbs, using circle hooks, handling or reviving a fish, you will kill a certain percentage of your fish. This is unavoidable. Slip n Slide feels very strongly that the bass need a break. So do some others here.

27 mins ago, BrianBM said:

Fishing is a blood sport. No matter how careful you are, no matter how careful you are about crushing barbs, using circle hooks, handling or reviving a fish, you will kill a certain percentage of your fish. This is unavoidable. Slip n Slide feels very strongly that the bass need a break. So do some others here.

Got it.  Thanks for the clarification.

8 mins ago, isleomaniac said:

This one lived.

DSCF6424_1.JPG.fd76b2bee213a521f7a72f299354331a.JPG

Been waiting for the "yellow eyed devils" to show up.:laugh:

6 hours ago, slip n slide said:

hey,Petunia,did it ever occur to you to stop being so selfish and give the fish a break?

Whoa, Cauliflower, who appointed you to determine what constitutes a "selfish" use of a common resource?   Let me guess, you appointed yourself.  And so you consider others who disagree with you to be "selfish" and thereby deserving of attack?  Because their choices don't fit your agenda?

Rich, that.       

I would think if it’s a common resource then the community that uses the resource has the responsibility to contribute their opinion about how it should be used and treated. A public forum seems like a perfect place to share said opinions. If you consider Slips comments an “attack” then I’d advise you to stay out of the PG as well, for your own mental well being. 

35 mins ago, Oakman said:

I would think if it’s a common resource then the community that uses the resource has the responsibility to contribute their opinion about how it should be used and treated. A public forum seems like a perfect place to share said opinions. If you consider Slips comments an “attack” then I’d advise you to stay out of the PG as well, for your own mental well being. 

Isn’t it better to start a new thread?  Seemed out of place.

13 mins ago, BrokeOff said:

Isn’t it better to start a new thread?  Seemed out of place.

Was replying to another post in said thread, so relevant?  Anyway I’m done, this horse is well beat. 

15 mins ago, Oakman said:

Was replying to another post in said thread, so relevant?  Anyway I’m done, this horse is well beat. 

Yeah, I was referring Slip n’ Slide’s posts.

Posted (edited) · Report post

9 hours ago, BrokeOff said:

I seem to recall Slip N Slide saying that he has stopped targeting stripers even for C&R, and potentially he believes others should do so as well. That seems like an untenable position on a striper fishing forum. I for one am not about to stop fly fishing saltwater. There are no blues where I live, no albies, I don't have a boat, and I'm not going to become particularly interested in stocked trout and largemouth.

There is a lot we can do collectively before feeling the need to stop fly fishing. If it was an FF only C&R fishery I am fairly certain we wouldn't be having these issues. 

Edit: I would however say that if someone is catching one under 20 fish after another it's time to move or put on a bigger fly.

Edited by Sngl2th