flyfishvt

News from the Cape?

Rate this topic

65 posts in this topic

Headed down for our annual pilgrimage Sat for a week of shore fishing on the upper Cape.  OTW has the Cape crawling with stripers...any real news?

4 mins ago, flyfishvt said:

Headed down for our annual pilgrimage Sat for a week of shore fishing on the upper Cape.  OTW has the Cape crawling with stripers...any real news?

Not sure I trust OTW..... was it in reference to shore fishing or boat fishing ?   

There last week.... we caught, nothing fabulous... had two that were probably keeper size (didn't measure) the rest 15" - 18".

HT

6 hours ago, HillTop said:

Not sure I trust OTW..... was it in reference to shore fishing or boat fishing ?   

There last week.... we caught, nothing fabulous... had two that were probably keeper size (didn't measure) the rest 15" - 18".

HT

Same here on Long Island. From shore, very small stripers while the "boat" reports are telling us to get out there for trophy fish:) Yeah:(

12 hours ago, flyfishvt said:

Ugh...that was my worry.  Hopefully more and larger with the new moon tides..

It's way past time to match expectations to reality.  Fewer smaller fish is the new normal, just get used to it.

12 hours ago, flyfishvt said:

Some of the biggest tides of the spring just occurred. If they don't arrive with those then...

I've found lots of fish on the bay side but all of them from a boat.  I have not seen much action tight to the beach. I'm usually a few hundred yards out.  My usual spots where I get out of the boat and fish on foot have not been productive (yet).  Heading down for 4 days of fishing Cape Cod bay and Buzzards.  Hoping for lots of fish!

2 weeks ago I lost the biggest striper I've caught with a fly rod (Cape Cod bay).  Got it close to the boat but could not get it under control and was afraid to break my rod.  Fishing solo so I had not net help.  Using a 8' 1 piece 10wt Bass Pro "Heat" rod which I love for boat fishing but it has NO back bone

On 5/31/2021 at 6:00 PM, flyfishvt said:

and yet,you want to go and kill more,smh...

17 mins ago, flyfishvt said:

Wow...very nasty and totally unnecessary and unwelcome 

Wow, if you think that’s very nasty, two points of advice. Stay away from the PG, and definitely don’t come fish Montauk. 

29 mins ago, flyfishvt said:

Wow...very nasty and totally unnecessary and unwelcome 

hey,Petunia,did it ever occur to you to stop being so selfish and give the fish a break? there's a reason your not getting the kind of feedback you want about the fishing and you're a contributor to that fact...you're welcome!

On 5/31/2021 at 10:44 AM, flyfishvt said:

Well, OTW probably won't sell many of their fish rags if they post an accurate fishing report...

I'm not sure which rag is worse - them or the fisherman. Both of those publications (that term is generous) have blown up more spots than any other source.