fishfinder401

Intermidiate/ sinking line recommendations

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

So, now that I upgraded to a reel with spare spools I want to add a sub surface option or 2 in addition to my floating line.

I tried looking through other threads but still needed some more input.

I was looking at an intermidiate and a full sinking line, but with so many options I am a little lost on what to try. I will be using a 9wt 8ft tfo bvk and at least for the foreseeable future wont be fishing in heavy wind or too rough of conditions, mostly from my kayak, and along the shore in Narragansett bay. I was looking at the cortland 444 for the intermidiate, but not sure if there is a more appropriate option.

As far as full sink... Do i need one? Or would a sinking leader on the intermediate work well enough in those conditions?

Thanks for any input!

Well I was thinking about asking a question along the same “lines” lol, so I hope you don’t mind if I jump in. 

Do intermediate and sink tip lines accomplish the same thing?  Getting the fly down in the water column, but not as deep or as fast as a full sink. I feel as though a sink tip would work better to drift flies in current or retrieve over rocky structure and not have the running line get chewed up. Is there a difference in size of flies that the two different flies can effectively throw?

Maybe a happy medium between the two.

A Cortland Compact type 3.

Intermediate running line with a type 3 head.

SA Sonar Titan intermediate or Intermediate/2/3 or Intermediate/3/5 might be options to explore, the last two depending on how deep you want to fish.

SF

Posted (edited) · Report post

To the OP and S2D,

You should be asking the question, "What do I want the fly to do?" The answer will help you figure out what kind of line to use.

If you already have a floating line, an intermediate gets you....not much depth. If an intermediate sinks at 1-2IPS, are you really going to count 15 seconds so you can maybe get down to two feet? (That, of course, assumes there is no current, in which case the line and fly may sink even less.)

I ditched intermediate lines a very long time ago. I carry a floater and a full sink and some full sink tips. If I want the fly at the surface, I have the floater. If I want the fly down a couple feet, I have the floater (and the ability to mend). If I want the fly deep, especially in current, I have the floater (and the ability to mend) and I have full sink tips. And if I want to get deep faster, I have a full sink integrated line with a floating running section I can mend.

As far as throwing different size flies, think payload and grain weights, not line type. The reason why I use a 9-weight line with my five-weight rod is so that I can easily throw a three-fly team or a foot-long fly.

You may be interested in the article "Mainly Misunderstood." A search using those words and my name gets you there.

Hope that helps,

Steve Culton

Edited by The Fisherman

I like the sonar titan use them on muskie setup also like the wulff triangle taper intermediate for deep you might consider the teeny 300 or 275 if they make it for 8wt

11 hours ago, Stonefish said:

Maybe a happy medium between the two.

A Cortland Compact type 3.

Intermediate running line with a type 3 head.

SA Sonar Titan intermediate or Intermediate/2/3 or Intermediate/3/5 might be options to explore, the last two depending on how deep you want to fish.

SF

I like this option a lot as well, especially fishing over the edge of a channel. How deep is the water you'll usually be fishing and how much current will there be? In relatively shallow marshes for example I use a Cortland Big Game taper that sinks really slowly, but the water is pretty shallow. Go out front and I like some more sink rate to it, like the I/3/5. 

@The Fishermanthat makes sense and I appreciate your work. 

Simple answer to the question tho, I want the fly to catch fish. In order to do that I feel a sink tip is more versatile for getting the fly down in current and be able to utilize the floating running line.   Out flow from marshes can move in some places I fish. I read your article and am a little hesitant about putting split shot on as my casting isn’t great and don’t need a broken rod. 

Many thanks. I carry three lengths of T-11 home-made sink tips with me, 2', 4', and 6'. I don't like the way they cast, but they do offer a custom solution you can tailor to specific conditions. Catch 'em up!

Steve Culton

Edited by The Fisherman

34 mins ago, Drew C. said:

You said yak - how deep will you be fishing from it? Any current?

The areas in fish in the most with it will probably be around 10-15ft and do have current sometimes.

I am just getting started in my saltwater fly journey though so my locations could change a lot. 

I appreciate all of the input and help on this! While eventually I will get both, it is sounding like a sinoing line will help me the most over an intermidiate, for just under the surface a sinking leader will probably work well enough.

13 hours ago, DeepBlue85 said:

Airflo Ridge Striper Intermediate, fantastic stuff.

Airflo changed it's lineup and this line is not available anymore at least not by name.

38 mins ago, fishfinder401 said:

The areas in fish in the most with it will probably be around 10-15ft and do have current sometimes.

I am just getting started in my saltwater fly journey though so my locations could change a lot. 

I appreciate all of the input and help on this! While eventually I will get both, it is sounding like a sinoing line will help me the most over an intermidiate, for just under the surface a sinking leader will probably work well enough.

check out this video,you can make them yourself for any aplication.

5 hours ago, stormy monday said:

I like this option a lot as well, especially fishing over the edge of a channel. How deep is the water you'll usually be fishing and how much current will there be? In relatively shallow marshes for example I use a Cortland Big Game taper that sinks really slowly, but the water is pretty shallow. Go out front and I like some more sink rate to it, like the I/3/5. 

I’m on the other coast, but I use the Cortland Compact type 3 for my salmon and cutthroat fishing in the salt.

We have some pretty good currents out here. This weekend we had a 19’ tidal exchange.

I found if I strip a bit faster, I can easily fish it where I might normally fish a intermediate without dragging the bottom.

Sometimes the water is moving fast enough that I’m not getting the depth I want with the intermediate, so this line does the trick. 
I also like fishing it over drop-offs to deeper water.

SF

2 hours ago, JEFFSOD said:

Airflo changed it's lineup and this line is not available anymore at least not by name.

This would be terrible news as the intermediate was one of the top performing lines on the market for years....and second to none in durability. I love their floating ridge as well.....  I'll have to check. Thankfully I have fresh backups.

Edited by DeepBlue85