Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. June 1 - June 8

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

The fish blog was created as a communal gathering place to share, report weekly fishing activity.

This will benefit those who greatly use this RI forum and ply our local waters.

The premise is to gather all weekly reports into one common portal unit, thus making it easy to access, view and add your own reports.  

This is the fourth year for this type of approach. The years past have had great participation. 

Post your success or skunks.   Either way, black or white, zero to hero,  let us all know if the bite is good or just not worth getting off the couch. 

Fresh, factual information is one of the best sources of Intel we have today with the ever changing fishing conditions. 

Hopefully this extreme cold will blow out in the next day or two and return to moderate temperatures again.

Plenty of bunker around in the upper bay during the early morning hours. They are easy to sight and find before the winds come up.

Finding smaller baitfish like silversides seem next to impossible especially in Greenwich Cove.

Just too much noise and sound vibration echoing in the cove  with lots of pile driving going on. It seems there is a whole new marina, next to Lobstamania being constructed.

Pogy boats have been working the bay now on a daily basis.  

There are some nice stripers mixed with bluefish in the upper bay working the shallows and drop-off near the shipping channels.

Fished Providence last night from shore and did okay on the SP Minnow caught some schoolies and saw others doing the same on bait.  Water was still moving but much slower than Monday which seemed to improve the bite.

Fished after dark last pm, from first cast to last cast it was all Blues all the time. Seemed like the area was paved with them, managed 1 schoolie once the tide started to slack. After the first few I switched to a canal rigged larger SP to try and reduce amount of blues caught and leave plug in the water longer in case there were some bass around. Could feel the blues just hitting it over and over and over, SP's had a great collection of teeth marks.  These were mostly all med - larger blues they were fun at first but they get tedious after awhile and gets old unhooking them if you are wading.  At times they would blast the plug out of the water the moment it landed. Hope they move out and bass move in eventually, strange spring continues.

Fished the PVD river again today for a Pre-Bruins trip.  Nothing not a sniff on anything I threw.  Did see a guy keep what looked to be a short but then again my eyes are going south.  Only fish I saw caught.  

I tried my bailess VR for the first time which was interesting since I’m coming from fishing freshwater.  Learning curve is real but I can see the advantages.  Gonna have to get it down a little better before I start fishing at night regularly with it.  

Fished from 6-11pm at a place where water dumps into a bigger body of water.  Found some bass instead of just blues for the first time in a week.  Didn’t  last long before the blues moved in and weed got to the point that it was wasting time.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

Had large bass primarily during yesterdays ideal light rain + cloudy conditions off the tail end of the incoming into the first three hours of outgoing on top-water.  Had some monster blues come through as well (all missed the plug).  Between three of us, each had landed fish over the 20lb mark.  Nice to see after a rougher start to the spring run (from shore at least).  

**In my home waters of SoCo.

Chris.

Edited by SouthCoastSurfFishermen

Were any of these bluefish reports coming from areas that might be considered fly fish friendly areas? No need for locations as I already have 1 NE area + 2 soco locations in mind (to chose from)

Went on another SoCo wetsuit adventure. First stop hit a fish on the third cast and it was... a shad on an sp minnow? Then did nothing for over an hour. Move to another spot I like around 10pm. I managed to hit 5 bass there, all on a blurple SS needle. On my third "last cast" at dead nuts low tide, I landed a fish that was easily 20lbs, huzzah! I fished for another half hour and got a few more taps, but then bailed because it was getting too dangerous. I think the fish were on sand eels because they wouldn't take anything except the needle. 

Tie on a teaser. Had the same thing and a teaser changed it from a tap to fish on the beach. Not just small ones either. 

20 hours ago, turkaholic said:

Tie on a teaser. Had the same thing and a teaser changed it from a tap to fish on the beach. Not just small ones either. 

I don't use teasers enough. Need to change that.

What do you have your best results with, flies or redgills? 

Fished hard pretty much all weekend (one of my last weekends before the move)- Friday consisted of me fishing a well known public access for 4-1/2 hrs to come back to my vehicle to find that my new gen Shimano Stradic 5000 had been ripped from its rod out of my locked rack.  M7"ananged to pluck a handful of healthy schoolies and lower slots from the whit water with bucktails.  

Sat.- Fished from the CC out of Goat Island Marina and with the cold stiff S-SSW winds and chop in the harbor managed a handful of short fluke.

Sun- Managed a few schoolies, made a location change to an E. facing boulder field and watched a 30lb class fish blow up on my 7" white cotton Cordell pencil (missed, never came back).  All in all was a good yet disappointing weekend.

**If you steal fishing gear, or steal in general its a true reveal to ones self standards.  Just because someone has nice gear, gives you the right to assume they can easily afford to replace it.  Broke my heart to come back to my car to see a 4' section of braid connected to the 3' section of leader still strung through my inshore rod that had a cross threaded locking nut from prying the reel from the reel seat...Even the Gansett PD K9 officer that ironically happened to cruise by said the only reason he happened to be patrolling down this area was because of the recent complaints and reports of "questionable individuals" frequenting the area as of recent....This is sad to hear/see; especially as it used to be a spot I would / could feel comfortable enough leaving a vehicle unlocked without worry. Sad how stereotypes and demographics of individuals continue to make a name for themselves. 

-Chris C.