Sea Robins caught on soft plastics

Rate this topic

jimmy z

I got two last weekend. Been doing this thing we do for a long time and never had Sea Robins on soft plastics. 

The funny thing is one hit on the surface.  Granted the water was low but small bass were hitting on the surface. 

I just had to chuckle when I saw the Sea Robins on my soft plastics,  lol:howdy:

AKN-2 USS Sagittarius

BE ENCOURAGING, NOT DISCOURAGING

<*((())))>< <*((())))><

I have caught literally hundreds of them fishing gulp swimming mullets.And using my own homemade large grubs. Caught so damn many I have given up on some of my fluke spots.The instant my baits hit bottom they were on. I swear if you move to avoid them they just follow you.

They're not very fussy about color either.

I've caught them trolling, bait fishing, swimming plugs, diamond jigs.

Night time, day time. Boat, shore.

Interestingly I've caught 0 skates in the past say 10 years since the robins moved in.

I keep hearing about alien UFO bases under water. Is it possible they're not really fish but extra testicles from another galaxy sent here to take all of our stripers and blues back to their planet?

If I'm not catching fluke but am catchin large searobins, I'm still eatin:howdy:

And on fluke gear, the fight isn't horrid. 

But your right about skates.  My nephew got a nice clearnose 2years ago, but I don't think I've caught one in quite awhile.  I haven't seen a barndoor in 20years. 

Edited by PSegnatelli

I catch sea robins all the time when I fish for bass and weakfish with plastic and/or bucktails.

Last week, we were fishing up in Connecticut when a robin came up under my friend's popper.  Didn't actually hit it, but if the retrieve was maybe 20 feet longer, it very well might have.

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

Sea robins will follow a sluggo in and try and take the lure when it's hanging above the water.  Like a dog jumping for a treat.  I've also had sea robins eat my casting egg instead of the fly.

The Mets have shown me more ways to lose than I even knew existed.

-Casey Stengel

2 hours ago, Dan Tinman said:

Sea Robins on light tackle are a lot of fun.  I get lots on small jigs with plastic swirl tails and enjoy it.  This year I'm gonna keep a few and see how they are smoked.

I keep a few if big enough.  Do a quick marinade of mirin, black pepper, pinch of salt and baking soda.  Broil and serve like eel sushi with the sauce and sesame seeds.