jason colby

Quincy Flounder Fishing

Rate this topic

58 posts in this topic

This past week has seen "mostly" limit catches but one week does not a season make. Before the dragging was intensified in 2013 the season was easily 12 weeks (May 1st to the end of July).

We are in the heart of "prime time" so if we can't get limits now it will never happen....

I haven't gotten my bag limit of flounder yet from the north shore. I've also been noticing a decline on the winter flounder fishery the past couple of years. I've been getting more shorts than ever.

16 mins ago, Dah seee said:

I haven't gotten my bag limit of flounder yet from the north shore. I've also been noticing a decline on the winter flounder fishery the past couple of years. I've been getting more shorts than ever.

Isn't that a good sign for the future?

1 hour ago, MakoMike said:

Mike let me clarify. I’ve been fishing Boston harbor for 40 years, cutting my teeth on flounder in Quincy bay where we used to race to see who could fill up a pail first. I love to flounder fish. It is the most un stressful laid back sunny afternoon fish a man could ask for. The numbers suck and the size is down thanks to many factors but none being more prevalent than what commercial draggers have been allowed to do to, really, the last viable stock in the northeast. You are no friend of the rec fisherman or the species if you condone what’s been done to this valuable resource. 

3 hours ago, MakoMike said:

NO! We are getting what the draggers leave us. Or in this case, what goes through the mesh of their nets, all the rest are dead.

Now answer the question Mike: What was your line of thinking/your rational when you were supporting the commercial increases 8 years ago (when I said it would lead to less fish available to rec anglers and you and Paul Risi said I don't know what I'm talking about)?

This should be good....

On 6/9/2021 at 11:48 AM, Dah seee said:

The shorts are always present but without bigger fish to take the bait, that is all you see.

The relentless dragger pressure will not allow them to grow.

23 hours ago, jason colby said:

NO! We are getting what the draggers leave us. Or in this case, what goes through the mesh of their nets, all the rest are dead.

Now answer the question Mike: What was your line of thinking/your rational when you were supporting the commercial increases 8 years ago (when I said it would lead to less fish available to rec anglers and you and Paul Risi said I don't know what I'm talking about)?

This should be good....

I suspect we will never get an honest answer but if I hear remorse and a confession that he was misguided I would forgive Mike....

6 hours ago, z-man said:

This is the headline for OnThe Water’s report this week:

Flounder fishing remains fantastic and haddock is still a hit.

:point:

My boat has been catching limits but it is a lot of work to do so. Also, we are basically keeping anything legal in order to limit which is something I have rarely had to do but now is common practice. There are surely not enough fish to pick and choose what you want to keep. Tackle shops by nature always post a rosy picture so people buy bait and tackle. Ron Powers, the OTW writer who wrote that report, gets his information by speaking with tackle shops.

One of the things one tackle shop said was people are getting limits off The Deer Island Pier. The Deer Island Flats have held very few fish this year so I know that is BULL. 

19 hours ago, jason colby said:

I suspect we will never get an honest answer but if I hear remorse and a confession that he was misguided I would forgive Mike....

We were talking about federal waters, not Quincy bay.

12 hours ago, jason colby said:

My boat has been catching limits but it is a lot of work to do so. Also, we are basically keeping anything legal in order to limit which is something I have rarely had to do but now is common practice. There are surely not enough fish to pick and choose what you want to keep. Tackle shops by nature always post a rosy picture so people buy bait and tackle. Ron Powers, the OTW writer who wrote that report, gets his information by speaking with tackle shops.

One of the things one tackle shop said was people are getting limits off The Deer Island Pier. The Deer Island Flats have held very few fish this year so I know that is BULL. 

Ron seems like he exaggerates. A lot!

:laugh: 

Whenever I read his reports it seems like 50 pound stripers are just jumping in peoples boats. 

5 hours ago, MakoMike said:

We were talking about federal waters, not Quincy bay.

We were talking about the state waters of Massachusetts. Specifically, the discussion started in January of 2013 when Paul Diodoti (Then Massachusetts DMF Director) proposed that we double the daily commercial winter flounder quota from 250 pounds/day to 500 pounds/day and along with that proposal came a public comment period for which I encouraged people to speak out against it

You and Paul Risi (and many of your commercial fishing buddies) wasted not time or effort in ridiculing me about my opposition to the proposed increase.

WHY?

2 hours ago, jason colby said:

We were talking about the state waters of Massachusetts. Specifically, the discussion started in January of 2013 when Paul Diodoti (Then Massachusetts DMF Director) proposed that we double the daily commercial winter flounder quota from 250 pounds/day to 500 pounds/day and along with that proposal came a public comment period for which I encouraged people to speak out against it

You and Paul Risi (and many of your commercial fishing buddies) wasted not time or effort in ridiculing me about my opposition to the proposed increase.

WHY?

No! You may have been ranting about something,  but Paul and I were talking about federal waters increases, which was a hot topic at the time. I have never, IIRC, taken any position on what the state or MA chooses to do in state waters. 

BTW- did you know that Paul is currently on the MAFMC?

5 hours ago, MakoMike said:

No! You may have been ranting about something,  but Paul and I were talking about federal waters increases, which was a hot topic at the time. I have never, IIRC, taken any position on what the state or MA chooses to do in state waters. 

BTW- did you know that Paul is currently on the MAFMC?

We were definitely "discussing" the state water increase for Massachusetts and the topic of the GOM increases came later. On that subject, the GOM TAC went from 210 MY to 880 MT in a very small set of years with an "undetermined" stock outlook. You openly supported those increases. WHY?