jason colby

Quincy Flounder Fishing

Rate this topic

58 posts in this topic

I can attest to the yearly decline of flounder and every year the state decides to lift the ban on spring inshore dragging during the spawn, it’s a joke, we have the last viable population of winter flounder in the northeast and the state continues to hammer it to throw a bone to the commercial interests, distgusting really 

5 hours ago, MakoMike said:

It’s based on differences in the behavior of the two species when they encounter a net. Cod will elevate only slightly over the bottom rope and then pass into the net. Haddock otoh zoom up a few feet before they pass into the net. The separator trawl is basically two nets. The one on the bottom that catches the cod is left open so the cod pass right through. The net on the top is closed with a typical cod end and it catches the higher rising haddock.

it’s a very common set up these days in the GOM where cod has become a choke species.

The answer I got:

the NEFMC was doing the studies with the science center people and it was proven to be the most effective MOBILE GEAR TOOL in separating cod and haddock due to their inherent behavior of demersal species with one species swimming upward and escaping and the other swimming down and into the bag. Currently there is no mobile gear separator that works as well, and you are required to use a Ruhle Trawl when targeting haddock.

Ps…a big issue with the cod is coming up with the NEFMC as they are continuing work on the cod sub-stocks and I read the draft and its so bad I expect cuts again with the GOMaine, Cape Cod, Georges and SNE sub stock….  

"The problem" is:

Between mid April and mid May while haddock fishing "just inside or outside of" state waters I saw no less than 50 draggers in about 20 days of fishing. One of my GPS units can read the VMS transponders the boats are "supposed to" be emitting. Of those boats, I got the signal for all of two out of those 50. Worse, they are "supposed to" fish in EITHER state or federal waters but not both. If they are not using the (required) separators because they are fishing in state waters but are crossing the state/federal line sometimes 20 or more times a day then it should be fair to say that most of those boats are cheating so they can have unlimited haddock without the separators (have their cake and eat it too).

I complained to an EPO I know about a dragger that was fishing near me as it was quite obviously crossing the line on every tow, all day, every day. The EPO tried to tell me that perhaps it is a scallopper but I texted him a picture and said "perhaps, but that sure looks like a net drum to me".

He said he would send a boat out there. I have not seen an EPO so far this year....

Again, crime pays. Without the separators they are killing all the cod, haddock and flounder and likely sending very little back alive. Hence, the cod can't recover and they can sell all the flounder on one license as GOM caught and then all the haddock as state waters caught on another license and make out in every way possible. The same unscrupulous dealers they sell to likely take out all the cod as well and if they report the catch at all, they call the poundage "haddock" (take a page from Carlos Rafael). No one is checking/CRIME PAYS.

How can anything recover?

No one knows what the “new” findings on cod stocks are going to mean for cod fishing. There is a series of workshops scheduled for next month and the month of July to try and figure it out. I’m scheduled to attend all of them and I’ll post what I find out.

17 mins ago, MakoMike said:

No one knows what the “new” findings on cod stocks are going to mean for cod fishing. There is a series of workshops scheduled for next month and the month of July to try and figure it out. I’m scheduled to attend all of them and I’ll post what I find out.

I don't think too many people on this site will care what is said in these bogus meetings. fisheries management blew it bad enough in the past that it won't be fixed in decades and maybe not ever. Most people who view this site are not "commercials" Meetings are just bull**** to cover open meeting laws i suspect. Jason sees what is going on because he is out there. Fisheries management is a bad joke. The board members have obvious conflicts of interest or are pawns to others.

13 hours ago, K Foley said:

I don't think too many people on this site will care what is said in these bogus meetings. fisheries management blew it bad enough in the past that it won't be fixed in decades and maybe not ever. Most people who view this site are not "commercials" Meetings are just bull**** to cover open meeting laws i suspect. Jason sees what is going on because he is out there. Fisheries management is a bad joke. The board members have obvious conflicts of interest or are pawns to others.

100% "spot on".

Thank you!

13 hours ago, K Foley said:

A good part of the issue as I see it is the feeling of "a need" by the so called fishery managers to "allow the poor, hard working, traditional commercial fishermen to make a living". Strip mining, mass extinction, mass habitat destruction at the expense of all other user groups, the environment and the very future of the people who are being allowed to do all this is just plain stupid. That is what all this dragging amounts to. There are no less than TEN TIMES the amount of nets and effort placed on our fish stocks than what should be considered reasonable or sustainable. As a result, stocks collapse quickly and easily but recover very slowly and painfully, if at all.

Just look at what happened to winter flounder in and around Boston Harbor in the past 8 years: A stock that was recovering at an exponential rate, getting much better year after year had the improvements stopped dead in it's tracks the very first years the draggers got a 77% reduction in cod quota. They were told to go fish for winter flounder and I tried my best to stop them. I joined The NEFMC-RAP and learned that a recreational voice is virtually meaningless in the world of fishery management. They increased winter flounder quotas even though my panel voted not to. The full council meeting the month after The RAP vote to not increase the commercial quota was not even considered at all. We were rendered 100% ineffective. I quit the following month. 

Worse, there are "certain persons" who supposedly represent recreational fishermen's interests in some of these meetings/on some of these panels and they were arguing that my opposition to increase in dragger effort on winter flounder by draggers was both unfounded and completely selfish.  Now thousands of rec fishermen have a lack of fish in Boston Harbor, dozens of tackle businesses and charter boats lose their livelihood and the hotels, restaurants and other businesses that would have gained from the rec flounder fishing business all suffer as well. 

All for a few years of short term gain by a few commercial boats.

OH Yeah, when I was in a meeting with then DMF Director Paul Diodoti (in 2013) about all this he assured me there were only 6 boats, draggers and gill netters combined, that would be seeing the benefit of the increases to daily limits and annual takes in Massachusetts state waters. As of July 11th, 2018 in a meeting with then DMF Director David Pierce there were currently 26 commercial boats participating in the state winter flounder fishery. Is it any wonder we have so few flounder?

17 hours ago, MakoMike said:

Unfortunately I think we all know exactly what is going to happen.    :(

What ever the decision is made or how its is made all of the workshops in the world will never ever change the past and present thought I have wittiness over  my life time along with actual participation in our beloved Striped Bass at the Saltonstall building in Boston . It is very hard to break into a culture where they are always right and speak with closed ears and an open mouth . For me it began with the losing of the local Cod fish, Smelt and Polluck and once they  made sure they were cleaned, out turned to flounder, fluke,dabs other species. No netting in my opinion should ever be done inside of the three mile limit and every place that is considered a safe haven during reproduction stages .   How can you  stop poachers when you make it legal for them to ply there gear. Peace and Prayers 

1 hour ago, Gotcow? said:

Unfortunately I think we all know exactly what is going to happen.    :(

How could it be any worse for GOM cod fishermen? Right now we aren't allowed to keep  them.

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 5/30/2021 at 2:20 PM, Two Rock said:

I can attest to the yearly decline of flounder and every year the state decides to lift the ban on spring inshore dragging during the spawn, it’s a joke, we have the last viable population of winter flounder in the northeast and the state continues to hammer it to throw a bone to the commercial interests, distgusting really 

On 5/30/2021 at 5:11 PM, K Foley said:

If you regularly fish for bottom fish north of Cape Cod and you have more than ZERO PERCENT CONFIDENCE IN FISHERIES MANAGEMENT you are either blind or a fool or both. 
They feed the rec masses a **** sandwich and think we ought to be grateful. 

Edited by giggyfish

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2021 at 8:51 AM, Angler #1 said:

The lack of management on the draggers that ply our waters has and will continue to be a troubling process. To allow the draggers to ply these waters when the stocks are in reproduction mode and not enforce any type of closer to the inshore areas this is happening will always have an negative impact on an already impacted resource and that is the shame of non caring management practicals.   Peace and Prayers

They'll just spin it around and say it's because of overfishing by recreational anglers, you know, like they did for cod, stripers and pretty much every other fish in these waters.

1 hour ago, FishermanTim said:

They'll just spin it around and say it's because of overfishing by recreational anglers, you know, like they did for cod, stripers and pretty much every other fish in these waters.

Its hard to over fish a species that the numbers reflect a negative propagation count.   Given that the number fishing recreational are increased to levels never seen before , because every one only gets to fish on one or two stocks of fish , rather then spread them out over 12 or so         Peace and Prayers 

4 hours ago, BostonSurfMan said:

I didn't even launch my boat in Quincy to try flounder as a Quincy resident. I don't need disappointment. 

The destruction of our once plentiful flounder is now all but complete. Not only are the remaining fish much smaller but there are less than 5% of what was here before they (The Menza Candatates of "Fishery Mismanagement") increased the flounder quotas. This happened all over the the coast from Delaware to Canada and the last pocket of flounder life was here and in assure you that over 95% of the entire GOM winter flounder quota has been coming from "Boston Harbor Stock", now all but gone.

(Thank you Mako Mike who supported those commercial increases)

Scratched out a limit by myself today. I cooked two whole just headed, scaled and gutted. Rubbed some olive oil and a little Cajun seasoning and grilled them till the skin was crispy. Absolutely delicious even if it feels like I’m killing the last Buffalo. 

2B05FF9E-037B-41CB-84EE-FD41EEE2A7D7.jpeg