ermghoti

Warm Weather Boots?

18 posts in this topic

I'm ultra caucasian. My quick-dry pants crept up on me a bit one trip last July or August, despite wearing trouser blousers. The burn on my ankles was visible through February. I was figuring on a taller shoe to keep covered up, but most of the paddle boots tout warmth, and that's the last thing I need when the air temperatue approaches 90. Just get NRS Boundaries, or is there a better option?

i have a couple pairs of quick dry pants in my regular waist size, but 36" inseam.  i usually wear a 36x32.  YMMV  CROCS ALL DAY lol

2 hours ago, gobigblue said:

i have a couple pairs of quick dry pants in my regular waist size, but 36" inseam.  i usually wear a 36x32.  YMMV  CROCS ALL DAY lol

Maybe re-buying the pants is in order. These are big in the waist, regular length. My options were limited at the time. Crocs=circular sunburn.

1 hour ago, cheech said:

Boots in warm weather? Just wear longer sox for sun protection.

Wet socks make me sad. Been doing OK with water shoes, outside of the grilled ankles.

I wear crosskix or crocs and hit my ankles with a spray of sunscreen couple times a day - no way I'm wearing boots/socks when it's 80-90+! 

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 hours ago, ermghoti said:

I'm ultra caucasian.

I have been blistered by the sun.

Sunscreen is a mandatory for me... high spf. Apply and re-apply I like  the aerosols but whatever. It can be expensive but a small price to pay. I'm usually river/creek type and can find shade in the height of day but if I was in a sound or big lake in July, I would be fully clothed.

Edited by triumph

I wear crocs and sock liners.  Sock liners are very thin and typically worn under regular hiking socks.  I use them when skiing under my ski socks, in my waders and dry suit when I don't need extra warmth and I don't want my skin sticking inside the booties.  I also use them in the heat under my crocks as sun protection.  They are thin and don't absorb much water so not like wearing a regular sock.  Check out FOX RIVER MILLS, INC. sock liners on Amazon.

I like @atv223s suggestion, but seriously, cotton socks will actually keep your feet cool like little air conditioners if you keep them wet. Evaporative cooling, same reason you don't wear cotton to keep warm when wet.  Personally I sunscreen the feet then put on Tevas. Just got 1st Crocs last fall to wear over latex drysuit booties, jury is still out whether I prefer them to Tevas.

I work in Agriculture and I applicate agricultural chemicals. I wear a short rubber ankle boot made by Bata now Dunlop makes them. I call them spray boots.

The water does not drain out, they drain while you are sitting in the kayak. They do protect your feet while walking in the water. 

(sharp objects broken glass shells) I wear white cotton socks or neoprene socks depending on the temperature. I mainly wear them while fishing shallow waters. They will come off fast if laced up half way and loose for deeper waters.

i just re apply my sun screen every hour. especially around my ankles, knees, and shins. other then that i wear crocs. i couldnt imagine wearing boots or any of the sort during the hot months. 

On 5/28/2021 at 6:39 PM, buddha162 said:

I wear crosskix or crocs and hit my ankles with a spray of sunscreen couple times a day - no way I'm wearing boots/socks when it's 80-90+! 

Love my Crosskix's, wear therm all summer long

Sunscreen????!? 

In the surfing world they make something called reef booties - they are basically thin neoprene booties not meant to keep you warm, but protect the bottom of your feet if you have to walk on the reef. They are generally 1mil or so. Might work- but I think a majority of them are low too. Maybe you can find high top to cover up to your shin. 

Still why not just get some spray sun screen and keep applying ?