Alextadventues

New to me lure- Xorus Patchinko

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

I joined the On The Water Striper Cup and got this lure the Xorus Patchinko in the gift box. I looked at it and almost dismissed it as a junky little thing, but ended up throwing it in my surf bag for a trip to the Cape this past weekend. I don’t know if it was just a match the hatch situation, but this was the only lure I was getting a consistent bite on for three days.... it even worked mid day. A Top water bite mid day is just crazy to me. 

The lure is nothing fancy. It is a walk the dog lure, with a bit of a lip on it to kick some water and make a bubble trail. Mine was in ghost sand eel color. The only thing I did to it was crush the barbs down and I will probably swap out the rear treble for a single before I take it out again. It is a heavy little lure and casts pretty damn far for its size. 

On my way home I was able to find more of them at Red Top, not in the same color, but I snatched up a few anyway. I know I would be kicking myself when I lose this one if I didn’t have a backup. 

Anyway check them out. We all need more tackle right??

For the fish in the picture, it was the only shot I had with the lure in a fish. The fish got bigger I swear. 

D4B862F5-51D4-4945-8BE2-8DA9717340F4.jpeg

C141B418-6325-48C7-9D7B-932854424103.jpeg

Hugely popular in the United Kingdom. Originated in France and is regarded as a classic now.

Popular in 10cm and now 8.5cm for light tackle use.

was a game changer when introduced.

At Red Top it was $17ish. Not cheap, but worth it to me if it is catching fish. 

I was throwing SP minnows, various soft plastics, yo zuri hydro pencils, but this was the only lure I was using that got consistent bites. 

I thought it was worth sharing. 

23 hours ago, Alextadventues said:

At Red Top it was $17ish. Not cheap, but worth it to me if it is catching fish. 

I was throwing SP minnows, various soft plastics, yo zuri hydro pencils, but this was the only lure I was using that got consistent bites. 

I thought it was worth sharing. 

I am glad you were catching...but look at the hole you left in the lip of that schoolie. How about clipping a few points off the treble and flattening the barbs, or use singles. please, Pretty please!

Use them a lot in the UK various copies of the same concept around. Need a hook swap out and sealing some of them leak and the finish comes off easily.

4 hours ago, oldwes said:

I am glad you were catching...but look at the hole you left in the lip of that schoolie. How about clipping a few points off the treble and flattening the barbs, or use singles. please, Pretty please!

OH stop...........

4 hours ago, oldwes said:

Those jigs in your avatar, I've left much larger holes in the mouths of bass with those things, even barbless. Points on trebles and barbs on trebles aren't the problem - it's the fish - they pull. If they'd stop pulling they wouldn't get those holes in their lips :)

21 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

OH stop...........

Wow drew the attention of an editor and the administrator with one innocuous post :)

21 hours ago, TimS said:

Those jigs in your avatar, I've left much larger holes in the mouths of bass with those things, even barbless. Points on trebles and barbs on trebles aren't the problem - it's the fish - they pull. If they'd stop pulling they wouldn't get those holes in their lips :)

On 5/28/2021 at 8:31 AM, oldwes said:

For what it is worth I did crush down the barbs after that fish. 

The real test of a lure when it's catching red hot is to take it off your line.   Yep, replace it with another lure.  I know that's hard for most fishermen to do but that's what you need to do to test that lure.  If it's a top water lure that's catching put on a different top water lure, maybe even a different color and see if that works.   Most time when the fish are extremely on the feed, any thing will work.  I have a few lures that were absolute killers on one occasion.   They never produced like that again.

8 hours ago, clambellies said:

The real test of a lure when it's catching red hot is to take it off your line.   Yep, replace it with another lure.  I know that's hard for most fishermen to do but that's what you need to do to test that lure.  If it's a top water lure that's catching put on a different top water lure, maybe even a different color and see if that works.   Most time when the fish are extremely on the feed, any thing will work.  I have a few lures that were absolute killers on one occasion.   They never produced like that again.

Joe Baggs swarters. One night they were the only thing the fish would eat and I've never had so much as a bump on one since then. I still carry one, but it almost never gets fished.