Frank2104

okay...an etiquette question on surf fishing

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Goldy said:

Im ready to target cownose rays soon.  

Oh, there coming your way. Had 2 in the last week I intentionally broke off. Pain in the #ss. 

12 mins ago, Haycreekrambler said:

Oh, there coming your way. Had 2 in the last week I intentionally broke off. Pain in the #ss. 

Sweet!  Im ready for them.  @ridenfish quit on me last year with a 2500 reel. This year no quiters. 

shoulda landed it.  

6 mins ago, Goldy said:

Sweet!  Im ready for them.  @ridenfish quit on me last year with a 2500 reel. This year no quiters. 

shoulda landed it.  

I'm less about size more about the headshakes. To me they feel like reeling in a couple of 5 gallon buckets full of water. 

19 mins ago, adams54 said:

I'm less about size more about the headshakes. To me they feel like reeling in a couple of 5 gallon buckets full of water. 

The worst is being dead tired and not having a hit all nite. Next thing you know you have this winged b##tard on and your trying to convince yourself its not a ray... thats what happened to me last nite!

20 hours ago, Haycreekrambler said:

Jersey? SJ? I hope not. Seems weeks early. 

20 hours ago, suntzu said:

Don’t fish bait - problem solved

How about some of us old guys who no longer can handle lures?  8'n bait plus chair allows us to enjoy the sand.  We fossils promise to save a prime spot for you. :howdy:

54 mins ago, Great Egg said:

How about some of us old guys who no longer can handle lures?  8'n bait plus chair allows us to enjoy the sand.  We fossils promise to save a prime spot for you. :howdy:

I am only teasing:) I will clear my lines if someone is fighting a big fish down the beach. Candidly during the day the only thing i can think of that would warrant it is a big cownose or drum

2 hours ago, EricDice said:

Jersey? SJ? I hope not. Seems weeks early. 

Just the other side of the Delaware Bay. So I'd say their in cape may too. Last week was the first sighting down here. My old man had to pop one off this morning.

I can totally see a guy running at me “GET THE #%^% OUT OF THE WAY” as he almost gets spooled by a kingfish. 

It’s summer out there. Be careful. 

On 5/26/2021 at 8:02 PM, Goldy said:

normally if youre spread out.  Someone shouldnt be running down the beach with a fish.  

All bets are off if its albie season

8 mins ago, Baccigalup said:

All bets are off if its albie season

You are correct. I dont play when albies are around. Its been two years. Im going thru withdrawal. Dont come near me. I will snip your line.  Ha

youre not the guy in a line up with a 7’ rod and a 2500 reel right?

4 hours ago, Goldy said:

You are correct. I dont play when albies are around. Its been two years. Im going thru withdrawal. Dont come near me. I will snip your line.  Ha

youre not the guy in a line up with a 7’ rod and a 2500 reel right?

No man. I have the 12 footer and the drone and get out past everyone then run behind them on the rocks  and yell DUCK.

7 mins ago, Baccigalup said:

No man. I have the 12 footer and the drone and get out past everyone then run behind them on the rocks  and yell DUCK.

Hhah

On 5/26/2021 at 2:07 PM, Frank2104 said:

Alright you're on the beach fishing. Might be holding the rod or have a couple in sand spikes. Someone nearby has a fish on the line and it starts to run down the beach toward you. How do you get out of their way? Drop your lines? Grab the rod and do.....??????????     

I was taught to reel in if it looks like I need to.  If I don't like the situation I move on.   

On 5/27/2021 at 5:03 PM, Great Egg said:

This needed to be said.  Several gents in my area are tougher than I'll ever be....just walking out there with bait, rods and chair is no small feat for them.  I always make a point to stop, chat and assist if needed.  You may just be talking to a Marine that carried a wounded buddy on his back during a firefight in Vietnam.      

On 5/26/2021 at 4:11 PM, DaveC said:

Put it on the person fighting the fish.  Ask them, "what do you need me to do?".  If they ask you to reel in, I would.  That's just me.  If you put the onus on them they have no recourse should something go wrong on their end.  If you don't, that person might lose a fish of a lifetime and would most likely be upset.  If more people were concerned with other people having a good day the surf wouldn't be so frustrating these days.  This is a great question.  Thanks for asking.

I agree.