BG_NJ

Tranx 301A Reassembly issue

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Can't quite get my Tranx 300 back to normal performance after my first breakdown of it. With the drag loosened all the way from 0 to about 33%, everything feels fine... once I tighten down the drag star to about half and beyond, this also is having a moderate lock up effect of the handle turning. 

Although the reel does function, this issue creates a distinct and persistent knocking sound and vibration of the whole reel in hand as you turn the handle. In light drag scenarios this is unoticeable, but when I go to use this reel for flippin and punchin with fully engaged drag it will be an issue.

Any thoughts/suggestions? Have reassembled the handle/tension nut/spring/etc portion of the reel several times now and nothing seems to mitigate. Thanks for any help!

BG,

Pay attention to the fit of 5477 the star drag to 5478 the star drag nut.

The star must fit completely over the nut - a partial fit allows the drag to work to a point and then it binds up.

I found best to tighten the nut onto the shaft fairly tightly to give yourself space and then fit the spring and star drag and make sure it slips over completley then slip the handle over and fit the handle nut.

I know it sounds obvious but an ill-fitting assembly leads to the binding you mention

Tranx 300 drag assembly.png

7 hours ago, ZAFisher said:

BG,

Pay attention to the fit of 5477 the star drag to 5478 the star drag nut.

The star must fit completely over the nut - a partial fit allows the drag to work to a point and then it binds up.

I found best to tighten the nut onto the shaft fairly tightly to give yourself space and then fit the spring and star drag and make sure it slips over completley then slip the handle over and fit the handle nut.

I know it sounds obvious but an ill-fitting assembly leads to the binding you mention

Tranx 300 drag assembly.png

ZA,

Thanks for this. I think I was hand tightening the nut moderately vs strongly like you suggested, so I’ll see if that was the issue. It did feel like the star was fully covering the nut though.

i am glad you shared this screenshot. One thing that’s been confusing me is that in your screenshot and in @scoobydoo ‘s full breakdown vid, there is only one 2127 washer below the nut. However in the schematic I’ve been referencing from S website, there are two 2127’s below the nut, and I have two. 

based on this schematic discrepancy, I have been unsure if I should be installing 2 washers or if 1 is extra. I have tried both, and with only 1 installed and a loose drag setting, the reel will free spool even with a locked thumb bar with as little as 5/8 oz tied on.