Frank2104

3rd gen Tacoma recovery points

12 posts in this topic

Got my weekend tag this morning. But after doing some research about recovery points on my basic '21 Taco w/o TRD or OR and without a hitch I'm kinda panicked!  What I thought was a tow point on the front I learn is probably just a tie down for transport. And without a hitch/receiver I don't see ANY recovery point on the rear!  Does anyone have suggestions for adding something to rear frame where the hitch/recievier would bolt in to provide a recovery point? Does anyone have any input on the front tie down/tow point? Anyone been snatched using the ring on driver side? Are Demon brackets worth the $$$?    Any help is greatly appreciated. I really have learned a lot from the community here. 

I would just put a receiver hitch on the back. They’re less than $150.

For the front can you buy the tow hook that comes on the TRD models?

15 hours ago, z-man said:

I would just put a receiver hitch on the back. They’re less than $150.

For the front can you buy the tow hook that comes on the TRD models?

Considering CURT receiver for rear and the BPF set up for the front. $230 insurance policy I guess. Probably never need it but........

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have a TRD off-road and it has this tow hook in the front. It mounts to the bar the skid plate is on. Can you get one of those from Toyota or a salvage yard?

2EFE3597-D5F8-44FB-AB57-3C9139CEEC73.jpeg

Edited by z-man
Typo

1 hour ago, z-man said:

I have a TRD off-road and it has this tow hook in the front. It mounts to the bar the skid plate is on. Can you get one of those from Toyota or a salvage yard?

2EFE3597-D5F8-44FB-AB57-3C9139CEEC73.jpeg

Z-man....not sure if that would work or not. I definitely like the idea of maybe picking one up at junk yard (Haven't done that in a few decades). The BPF hook has 3 bolt connection vs the two on OEM. Second, the hook sweeps up level with the cross member. I am afraid it would damage the cowl on the bottom of the front end of my truck. I'll have to go out and double check.

Careful with that OEM hook of you get one. I took mine off temporarily while I was adding front rack receivers. When I put it back on the welded bolt inside broke loose before I could get to to the proper torque. Now the bolt just spins and I can’t tighten or remove it. 

Okay...all ready to go! Added a CURT receiver on the back. Straightforward installation if you carefully read instructions on fishing two of the bolts. On the front added Bullet Proof Fabrication tow hook. Only required a few minutes work with a Dremel.

IMG_8146.jpg

IMG_8148.jpg

On 6/15/2021 at 9:32 AM, Frank2104 said:

Okay...all ready to go! Added a CURT receiver on the back. Straightforward installation if you carefully read instructions on fishing two of the bolts. On the front added Bullet Proof Fabrication tow hook. Only required a few minutes work with a Dremel.

IMG_8146.jpg

IMG_8148.jpg

Can't tell how big the front tow hook is.  Maybe get a clevis just in case?

2 hours ago, Stryper Snyper said:

Can't tell how big the front tow hook is.  Maybe get a clevis just in case?

Per BPF its big enough to take a 3/4" bow shackle. Just haven't picked one up yet.